NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2020 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] John,
The "G" terminal on the tach should be ground.

**Check. There is 1 black wire and 2(connected together) black wires on the same G post. I took the 2 off and they don't have continuity to the other ground wires

Since all the grounds are daisy chained, I suspect when you took the wires off, you broke the chain.

I did figure these wires out they were for the bilge pump and blower
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2020 at 9:52pm

Just a note I don't think those lights in the gauges work

John,
Considering the wiring problems, I wouldn't be surprised. The one way to find out is to go after the wiring tomorrow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 12:29am

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] [QUOTE=jterr]

Back to Tach- still pegs to right. Thought I would just take off wires at coil, still pegs when turn key on
What to check now?

John,
did you get the VOM out and check that gray wire. Also, disconnect the gray wire at the tach an check it for voltage when you turn the key on. Report back what you get
QUOTE]

Pete just curious about this reading?

Alrighty then-here are the results
Disconnected wire from Tach got a reading of 11.01 volts with key in on position.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 7:40am

Pete just curious about this reading?

Alrighty then-here are the results
Disconnected wire from Tach got a reading of 11.01 volts with key in on position.

John,
Thinking again about getting the voltage reading from the gray sender wire at the tach, I should have told you to also disconnect the positive wire on the coil. Try it again and see what you get. The idea here is to make sure the gray wire isn't connected someplace else since you mentioned you other connections in the wire harness/loom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 1:41pm
Wire from Tach no volts.

Also read that a dead light bulb could be a cause; but after disconnecting it as it is burned out same pegging.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 2:19pm
JT

With the gray wire hooked up to the coil(-) your reading of 11 or so volts is normal with the key in the Run position depending on the points position.

Assuming you have points, if the points are open when you turn the key to Run, you'll have the same voltage as what's going into the (+) terminal of the coil from the ignition switch.

If the points are closed when you turn the key to Run, you'll have no voltage because the coil is going to ground through the points.

If you pop the cap off and see if the points are open or closed, you'll know what you should be seeing for voltage based on the above.

The tach needs 12 volts from the key, a ground connection and then the pulse signal to give indication comes from the gray wirehooked to the coil (-). The pulse itself is that change from 12 or so down to zero volts every time the points operate.

With it pegging when the key is turned to Run, you should probably look on the back for a small switch for selecting the input. It might be inside a little hole or you might be able to see it pretty easily. Most tachs have this selector.

With a little "tweaker" you can move that switch from it's present position to the next position in either direction and cycle it back to where it was a couple of times. This will clean the contacts if they're dirty or have a little corrosion. Different tachs are labeled differently but you should find the switch in the 8 cyl position and end up with it back there too..

Then with all the wires hooked up normally, it may work again.

It won't hurt to try this. I have a tach that does just what yours does and needs this every few years or so

And then again, maybe it's just dead

If it's an electronic ignition in the distributor, all the same info pertains

Just an oh by the way....................your dash diagram shows an ammeter setup and your photos in other threads for this boat show a voltmeter next to the ignition switch so that explains your missing red wire you mentioned.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 3:40pm

Wire from Tach no volts.

Good. So now you know the gray wire isn't connected to anything else.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 7:57pm
Well I took all gauges out and cleaned/reconnected and wired by the Diagram above. I did find the 3 connectors on back of Tach and moved around and back to 8 cyl.
After all the above Tach still pegs so maybe it is bad.
Will see what it does after I get engine running again when don with Carb.
Thanks for all the info
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 8:38pm
John,
How's you back from crawling under the dash? I know it gets tougher and tougher as time goes by.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 10:13pm

John,
How's you back from crawling under the dash? I know it gets tougher and tougher as time goes by.

Little stiff, but with 2 bad shoulders and knee I'll deal with it. I still have to finish carpet under there yet
Thanks

Was hoping to go to Lake Sunday for the water test but 80 % chance of rain
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 3:15pm
It never ends
Decided to make sure engine runs after all the wiring issues. Engine was running ok and I never went into the Distributor
Check this out??
You could almost drive a truck through the gap

This as close as I could get
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 7:11pm

It never ends
Decided to make sure engine runs after all the wiring issues. Engine was running ok and I never went into the Distributor
Check this out??
You could almost drive a truck through the gap

This as close as I could get

JT

That's some kind of magic distributor you got yourself there

In the first picture the points would never close so it's seems kinda hard (like impossible) to make a spark and make the engine run.

In the second picture, it looks like they're still open and they'll never close unless it's camera angle or lighting or something making it look that way, making it equally impossible to get a spark.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 9:45pm
After looking closer the arm has gotten bent and actually shorted on the screw. Kinda straightened and it runs again???
Still the Tack pegs and stays there even with engine running ; think I will buy another and try.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 9:47pm
Just a quick question . Any idea why I'm not getting e-mail notifications???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 9:56pm

Look down at the bottom of the message box. There's a box to check for email replies. If you logged out and then back in, I believe you need to check the box again

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 10:20pm

Look down at the bottom of the message box. There's a box to check for email replies. If you logged out and then back in, I believe you need to check the box again

It's checked now but will log out and see if that works.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic