Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel filter snow..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel filter snow..
    Posted: January-29-2019 at 6:37pm

Question so I upgraded to the spin on style filter (4years) and ive had a couple problems with chunks of corrosion getting caught in the carb. any way to stop the filter housing from doing this? almost thought of putting a epoxy tank sealer on the inside of the housing, redkote of casewells or am I just better off putting a new housing on
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 6:58pm

found this little crack in the alternator housing also, quick fix with the tig welder
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 7:03pm

now to tap the hole for the bolt.
1989 nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by inglesideshawn inglesideshawn wrote:

Question so I upgraded to the spin on style filter (4years) and ive had a couple problems with chunks of corrosion getting caught in the carb. any way to stop the filter housing from doing this? almost thought of putting a epoxy tank sealer on the inside of the housing, redkote of casewells or am I just better off putting a new housing on

That "snow" is on the upstream side of your filter element and shouldn't be passing through the filter and into the fuel pump and/or carburetor if the filter is working as it should.

The fine inlet screen where the fuel line hooks up to the carburetor should also stop any chunks of stuff. They seem to get removed a lot though..

I think the "snow" is a result of having water in the gas sitting for long periods of time.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 8:33pm
DRAIN YOUR FILTERS ! And make sure the oring on your gas cap is good.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 11:11pm
The secondary metering block was also covered in corrosion and ended up just replacing the carb when I figured out the parts list and prices.., guess my question should be whats causing the aluminum to corrode ? fuel or water?
1989 nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 9:32am
Most Holley carburetors especially what we use in these boats aren't made of aluminum, but you might say a zinc compound.

Your filter adapter is probably made of the same material

You can probably get a whole big conversation started about gas and ethanol.

Some people never have problems, others blame every problem they have on ethanol

I think you have excess amounts of water in your fuel and neither Aluminum or Zinc particularly like gas and water mixed together and slowly evaporating leaving deposits from all those chemical additives.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 10:17am
I have seen this snow before. Not in a fuel system, but in a closed drawer in my workshop. Had not opened the drawer in a few years and was quite surprised to see this. Suspect just humidity.

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 10:45am
That "snow" is the aluminum corroding. I've seen enough of that white powder in my 30+ years in the commercial aviation industry. I've ground plenty of it and have had to replace beams and supporting structures because the aluminum was so white you could put your finger through it...Urine/blue juice and coffee/soft drinks will destroy aluminum. Commonly referred to as NO LICK areas.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 2:27pm
Here's a little light reading about Holley carburetors and what they refer to as "white rust" in the article.

So whatever you decide your carburetor and filter adapter are made of, the white stuff is an issue with both zinc and aluminum And water always creeps into the discussion no matter where you find info on the white stuff.

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 11:30pm
Thinking drain all the fuel and start fresh with some non ethanol fuel. do you think any of that fuel treatment products would help with the corrosion issue?
1989 nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 9:42am
I don't have that going on,
but upon experience with my 4-mix Stihl, I suspect 8oz of two stroke oil into the tank now and then, would make a good surface corrosion inhibitor, and be quite inconsequential regarding odor and no smoke.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic