Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Pressure guage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pressure guage
    Posted: September-08-2006 at 10:59am
My oil pressure guage pegs itself as soon as I start the boat and stays that way untill I turn it off. I am guessing that the sensor. Can someone tell me where the sensor is and how hard it is to replace.

Thanks in advance
Jon
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 1:03pm
Have you had this problem since you've owned the boat? Sounds like somebody may have installed an auto sender. Easy to find; easy to replace.
On the 351w, facing the front of the engine, it's on the right side, half way down, just behind the the water pump.
Remove the wire going to it; clean the connection with sand paper or emmory cloth and I put some di-electric grease on it. Unscrew the sending unit and install the new one. Some people use Teflon tape on the threads but I don't. You need a good connection beween the unit and the block.
Buy a marine unit. I reccomend this one:
Oil sending unit
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 12:21am
Jimbo ...good advise! Tape may cause a bad connection...you don't need it there anyway....however if you use T Tape.on any sender(oil sender may need it)...only wrap the top theads so you get some metal on metal!

And yes...oil pres. gauge should be marine not auto...they will not read the same!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 7:30pm
    Being pinned means that there is a just about or is a direct short to ground. Unplug the wire from the sender and see if the gauge goes back to zero. If it does, the sender is shorted. Also be sure NOT to purchase one that is designed for warning indicator lights or safety shut-offs as its no more than a switch instead of a variable resistor that wont work with a gauge.

Jeff...
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 11:52pm
My water temp gauge has been wrong ever since I replaced the sender. I did use teflon tape. Is that possibly the problem. I used a laser temp thing and the block temps and such are correct. Are you saying that on sensors such as the water temperature, you can just screw them into the intake manifold without anything on the threads? Would something like yellow thread sealer (liquid snot) work or would that screw up the connection too?

Thanks for your info!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 12:10am
I think Gary's advice is the best. Put the tape up high on the threads so the part farthest in gets metal to metal contact.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 2:06am
I recently replaced my temp sender and the instuctions explicitly said not to use any teflon tape or other sealer. The sender is NPT, pipe thread, which I believe is tapered. So far, so good - no leaks and the gauge is accurate.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 2:41am
I went through a phase where I put Teflon tape on everything. I was a chemist for years and in the lab, if it had threads, it had Teflon tape on it.
But liquid at 100 psi with with pipe threads or a compression fitting usually doesn't need it. Gases or higher psi or sloppy connections do. Plumbing around the house still gets Teflon tape or pipe dope.
Now I'm moving into a phace of Lock-tight or antiseize on everything.
You can check the joint with a solution of water and a litle bit of soap. If you see bubbles or oil, or goo, you need a better connection.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 4:25am
I too am having problems on my 77 302 temp gauge. Does anyone know what the resistence values at certain temps are? I'd like to go after it with the ohm meter and see if it is the sender or gauge. Thanks, Pete
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 8:15am
I believe all you have to do to check if its the sending unit or gauge is remove the wire and it should read zero then ground the wire to the block and it should max out, if it does then the sending unit is bad if it doesn't then it's the gauge.
Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 9:47am
I have a different problem I replaced the oil sending unit with the one from skidim and my pressure doesn't move it's always around 20psi no matter what the rpm. Did I get a bad unit? do I have a bad gauge? or is there a much bigger problem? It does start a zero when off or ignigtion button and key are on but as soon as you start it moves to around 20psi. 351w '86 martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:14am
gauge most likely ground out the lead and see if it max's out at the gauge.
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 10:16am
Hi Martinque ( Andy )

Sounds like you have been given the wrong sender unit.

Firstly
You can check the gauge to see if it will go to full deflection (i.e highest reading ) by grounding the sender wire to the block as 79 says.
Only ground it long enough to see if it goes to full deflection, grounding the sender wire is not quite the same resistance presented as at the very highest oil pressure and can damage you gauge if you do it for long periods or time.

Secondly
Gauges and sender units are a matched pair from their manufacturer. Meaning for a gauge to read correctly the sender unit must change to specific resistances over a range of pressures.

If the sender unit is not correct for the gauge it will not present the correct resistance for the range of the gauge.

In your case it sounds like the sender is not matched to the gauge.

Regards
Rob
WackyWillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WackyWillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 1:29pm

haha
Sounds to me like you need a new coil

JJ's seein' it right.
Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 1:34pm
what's the coil have to do with oil pressure????????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 3:35pm
JIm johson or WackyWillie what ever you want to call him is just a stupid jacka$$ with nothing better to add to this or any discussion. Five bucks say's it not even his real name and is an alias name so that no one knows who he/they really is, he was tossed on PN and comes over here to be a jacka$$ Keith should toss him here as well.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 3:39pm
he is just trying to rattle your chain 79,sounds like he found it.....boatdr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2006 at 3:43pm
No I was just responding to the question asked unlike you.
fixitjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixitjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 8:33am
I have had a pegged oil pressure gauge for a while. I have seen it come down to a proper level while the engine but most of the time it is pegged. I ordered a new sending unit from Ski Dim and replaced it Saturday. I did use teflon tape and nothing has changed. First thing I will do is remove the t-tape and try again. After reading this thread it seems to me there must be a short somewhere because if I were to remove the wire and touch to the block it would do the same thing it's doing now. And now the wire may be insulated from the block because of the t-tape. Everything is original from the factory till I changed the sending unit. Could the gauge be bad if its pegged 90% of the time? I'm don't think the wiring has changed between the gauge and sending unit. I did change the steering cable a couple years ago...maybe I hit something under the dash?
Thanks for any help.
fixitjim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 9:31am
Jim, You should get the muti meter out and get some ohm readings from the dash connection to ground. Did the instructions that came with the new sender have the ohm to pressure chart?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fixitjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixitjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 10:35am
Pete, there were no instructions in the box. I should be back at the boat this weekend and will check reading from the gauge power side to ground. Will this tell me if the gauge is good?

I failed to let you know I have a 93 Ski Nautique. I will try and get a couple pictures to post on a diarie entry.
Thanks
fixitjim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 10:58am
Jim, Gauge power to ground should give you the nominal 12 volts. Sender to ground will give you a resistence reading that will vari depending on the pressure the sender is seeing. The sender wire disconneted at the sender will be max ohms (infinity) and the gauge should read nothing. With the sender wire grounded, the ohms will only be the resistence of the wiring and the gauge should be pegged. I know you just put in a new sender but new ones can be bad too! The only way to test them is to hook up air with a pressure regulator so you can simulate the oil pressure. Then measure the resistence of the sender at different pressures. You would need the ohm specs to do this. You can usually find them on line at the OEMs website. I just did when I was trouble shooting my old Teleflexs in my 77 Tique

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 11:15am
Jim, if you determine the gauge is faulty and need to replace it, Summit Racing has one that is very similar. I might also be interested in your old one.
fixitjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixitjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 2:55pm
Pete, I finally was able to make time to remove the new oil sending unit, remove the teflon tape and reinstall. Nothing changed and the gauge was still pegged when the ignition was turned on. I then removed the dash board and pulled off each electrical connector at the gauge and reinstalled...one at a time. I didn't mess with the lighting connections as they were working fine. After a good cleaning underneath the dash unit (dust and one dirt dobber nest) I put everything back together and the sending unit worked perfectly. Must have been a bad or slightly corroded connection at the gauge all along. Thanks again for your help. Jim
fixitjim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic