NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet dip stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 4:20pm
David does have a point Pete. Whether it's religion,politics or ACBS you always have your zealots. Years ago I was at an MG meet and was talking to a young woman who was so excited that she had just bought one. Some guy then proceeded to tell her that her radio antenna was in the wrong spot to the point she was almost in tears. They were dealer installed. It has forever changed my view on any organized shows and your not helping
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 4:39pm
Gary,
I certainly agree that in every organization there's always someone that can spoil things for others. Even CCfan has some! Alan ran into a couple when he first showed the Hurricane at an ACBS show. He was confronted by someone who insisted a 331 was never an engine option in a Hurricane. Too bad Alan didn't have the literature that day showing the 331 was.

My point to David is all ACBS members boats are not pristine show quality. Many as mentioned are simply daily users.

BTW, I was expecting you to comment about the frozen water up here. I was shocked you didn't!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2019 at 7:04pm
It's "the return of the velvet" dipstick or maybe "the velvet dipstick rides again" or whatever

Back early in this thread there was the KenO homegrown dipstick complete with some comments and now I'm back with a much simpler, more original looking version that's really pretty easy for the average backyard hack like me to make.

In the pictures you'll see a Dremel with a little cutoff wheel. I used that to daintily cut the flat blade off of the threaded portion of the dipstick. If you're careful you'll end up with threads that will still work and there will be a flat spot on the threaded area where the blade was.

Then you unscrew the small round threaded plate that resembles a really short T nut

Then remove the rubber piece and take a piece of oil hose cut to the length I mentioned earlier in the thread ( 1/2 inch oil cooler hose with an OD of about 3/4 of an inch. I cut it about 7/8 inch long., slide it on the shaft, screw the plate back on and do a couple of little welds and you're done.

On the outside it's perfectly original looking and seals just fine

Pretty cheap too compared to the B/W replacement if you have a welder or a friend with one and one of those indispensable little Dremel tools.

Even cheaper than an expandable rubber plug

Some Borg Warners have a slightly smaller ID pipe that the dipstick slides into so make sure whatever hose you use slides in and can be tightened up before the welding job.

If I was a neater welder, I'd take it to an ACBS show and enter it into the dipstick competition   

Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2019 at 1:03am
I did this today following the directions in the last post. I was a little skeptical about cutting the piece off with the dremel grinder but it went smoothly and works a lot better than the beat up old seal   Thanks

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2019 at 11:17pm
Glad it worked out for ya'

It's really straightforward and the oil hose should last a long long time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic