Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding trailer fenders...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding trailer fenders...
    Posted: March-01-2019 at 12:10am
Lucky to have a buddy with a ridiculous shop and skillset, with more metal working tools than I knew existed.

Trailer has scattered rust all over the place, but the front fenders were by far the worst, rusting off in some places. We ground down surface rust in other areas, but those needed to be replaced (or removed).

Bought some 1x4 steel, rolled it out, and welded into place, along with brackets for screwing down the wood side steps.

All in all, turned out amazing. Way stronger than before. Put a quick coat of primer on it for the drive home, but will be re-priming and spraying black to match the trailer. If it were just me, with my skills / resources... probably would have just left it to rust off in a year or two.

1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 12:25pm
Sweet trailer! Be sure to post pics when it's complete.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Sweet trailer! Be sure to post pics when it's complete.

Thanks... It's not terrible, but still needs a bunch of rehab. Putting in all new working and lights, have to inspect and likely replace the braking components, etc. And still a fair amount of rust in various places. Hoping I can make it last a few more years.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
bfosbenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfosbenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2019 at 11:58pm
I used King Starboard AS in place of the carpet covered plywood. I did not like the wet carpet
Comes in 5x8 ft sheets
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 2:17am
Nicely done!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 2:25am
Originally posted by bfosbenner bfosbenner wrote:

I used King Starboard AS in place of the carpet covered plywood. I did not like the wet carpet
Comes in 5x8 ft sheets

Probably smart, but I wanted to keep this pretty simple and cheap. If I need to redo it in the next year or two, I'll probably diamond plate it.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic