NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Southwind 20 Wiring Diagram

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 Southwind 20 Wiring Diagram
    Posted: March-03-2019 at 6:50pm
Hello, I am looking for a wiring diagram for my 75 Southwind 20.   Both the dash and complete boat schematic would be great. In particular there is a large orange wire (I think it maybe coming from the alternator. It went to an inline fuse holder that I found behind the dash. Problem is it was disintegrated. I do not know the size it should be fused at. It does not look like there was an overload or short. In my first career I was a journeyman electrician, so I am kind of familiar with electrical overloads. But, I do admit that marine and auto wiring is much different.   Any help would be appreciated.   By the way I am not that far away from the Correct Craft factory, so if anyone has a contact there I would be happy to drive down to see what they have.

Regards,

Gary
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2019 at 6:52pm
To be clear the fuse holder was the part that was damaged or a better word would be gone. Just the metal parts were still there.   The orange wire looks like a 10 gauge size.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2019 at 7:28pm
Gary,
The orange wire would be the main + feed to the ammeter. determining the fuse size would be a factor of the gauge of wire and the size of the alternator. Take a look.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2019 at 7:30pm
Here's a diagram of the era:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2019 at 7:32pm
Here's a wiring diagram for a PCM engine from that time period.

The Orange wire ran up to the ammeter from the alternator. The diagram shows both the wiring arrangement for an ammeter and for a voltmeter

Just a guess but I think maybe there's been some "creative wiring" done over the years because there wasn't a fuse in that wire originally

You may have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding a dash wiring diagram

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2019 at 7:35pm
I guess I'm a little slow today Pete

I hate it when we agree

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2019 at 7:44pm
Thanks for the quick replies.   I kind of agree with the lottery reference.   But who knows. I did also send a note to Correct Craft and if they have one (or many) maybe I can do some posting into the reference area. I am not that far away about an hour.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2019 at 7:55pm
Here's a diagram that may be worthy of a cheap lottery ticket................maybe

It's for about the 82 model year, but does show an ammeter and the rest of the dash wiring for an 82.

There's probably some resemblance.

It came from the PN website originally

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2019 at 4:47pm
This looks a lot like what I have. Great Work! Thank you for sharing.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2019 at 2:24pm
All done, After I took a good look at the other meters I decided to replace the Oil, water temp, and Amp meter also.   So now they all look correct, have all new stakons (closed end wire clamps) I also joined a bunch of common black wires together with a copper split end bolt connector and used rubber tape and plastic tape to cover it. I did that instead of having a large number of connections on the common connections of each meter. In any case all are working correctly and it is much cleaner back there.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic