NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bent fin

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SunFun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunFun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent fin
    Posted: March-04-2019 at 11:20am
The back fin on my SN is bent slightly therefore not lining up exactly with the other two.
Do you guys think it makes enough of a difference in performance to replace it or straighten it? Thanks
1989 SN 2001
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2019 at 12:01pm
Slightly bent is probably okay. If your OCD like me then remove it and straighten it out..
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
SunFun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunFun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2019 at 12:08pm
I see that the fins are screwed on so I assume they aren't too difficult to remove. Are they hard to straighten?
1989 SN 2001
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2019 at 6:03pm
I believe that like your prop strut they are installed with the mounting screws and some tough 5200 sealer.
I was able to remove mine by removing the screws and then hammering some wood door shims between the fiberglass and the brass fin.   By using 2-4 shims and tapping back and forth between them it eventually popped off but that glue is tough.
Home Depot, Lowes or your local hardware will sell wood door shims for about $3. a pack and it will give you plenty for this type job.   The wood did not damage the fiberglass at all.
Many on here will reinstall with 4200 rather than 5200 because a future removal is much easier.   I chose to apply the 5200 again and I know what I am up against if it needs to come off in the future. I hope that does not happen but you never know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic