NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UPDATE: Water spots on windshield

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UPDATE: Water spots on windshield
    Posted: April-05-2019 at 10:14pm
Hi guys ...   So I finally decided to try yet again with removal of the water spots on all the glass. Finding out that they aren't water deposits but instead salt water etching, the only thing recommended to even try was a product that is actually just a bit caustic itself - "just don't leave it on more than 10 minutes".   

After the 4th vigorous treatment of the gel compound there still was no change at all.    I resorted to calling a local glass shop for advise and was told that in all likelihood I was out of luck and would have to replace the glass.   Luckily the side glass is flat so they are easily able to remake these in matching tempered glass, which they will be doing in the next 2 weeks or so. The side glass is by far worse than the front curved glass ....

The inside of the frame still needs to be repainted anyway., so I decided to go ahead with removal of the entire frame in order to try another cleaning on the curved glass, but also to clean up the back of the dash and gel up close to the frame.   Most of the seal is still fairly pliable but there are a few pieces I may have to replace. Are the seals available in sections or will I have to buy the entire set?   Also, any advise (again) about possible products or methods to alleviate or at least lessen the spots remaining on the front curved glass would be appreciated.
Thanks

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2019 at 11:11pm
Depends on the maker of the windshield. My 95 is a Waterbonnet,they were bought out by Teleflex I think and nothing now is available. My old beater out of business 78 Shamrock gaskets and seals are still available though. Now that Correct Craft has bought up Velvet Drive I wonder when parts will be discontinued for those ??
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2019 at 11:22pm
Joe - there is a pumice glass polish - no idea on where to buy it. They used to polish out scratches on (new) cab windshields with it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2019 at 12:24am
Joe: That's a fine looking set of skins.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2019 at 1:56pm
Yeah Chris I was thinking there would have to be some sort of product like that but thus far of those I've asked no one seems to be aware of anything.

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Joe: That's a fine looking set of skins.

Funny you should say that ... the skins are the one thing the PO had already done that I didn't have to redo        Based on prior work done, I'd guessed it was pretty cheap stuff that I'd have to redo fairly quickly but after taking a sample to my upholstery shop, was told it was top of the line marine vinyl. Amazing      Anyway, I would prefer an actual set of factory skins but given their cost and the fact that these are good quality and in great shape I decided to keep them.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2019 at 7:46pm
I hope you didn’t pay much for that boat because you have replaced just about everything but the skins on that thing.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2019 at 2:03pm
Vinegar and water has always made my glass crystal clear..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Now that Correct Craft has bought up Velvet Drive I wonder when parts will be discontinued for those ??

Wait, what?

Velvet Drive Acquisition
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2019 at 2:50pm
Have you tried Bon Ami scrubbing powder? " Hasn't scratched yet"
TWSS
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2019 at 3:59pm
www.quick-glo.com   Use the fine version. I've never used it but Jay Leno liked it and he's a man who cares about his glass.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2019 at 2:18am
Mop N Glow for the gel coat . It adds thousands to the sell price.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by GHTILL GHTILL wrote:

Have you tried Bon Ami scrubbing powder? " Hasn't scratched yet"

^^ X2   I've this stuff on a lot of things with great success.
I used "CLR" to get spots off my '85 windshield when I bought it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2019 at 4:22pm
I have a product I purchased about 10 years back that worked well removing water spots from my windows.
As far as brand name the package reads as follows:
New Improved Formula
Water Spot Remover
Money Back Guarantee
12 OZ package
River City Distribution
900-568-8230
We bought a car out of Texas and it had bad water spots, this stuff cleaned them up.
No idea where to buy it if the phone number does not work.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2019 at 10:07pm
Well at this point I'd try about anything. I just don't want to end up with a couple hundred $$ worth of stuff that still doesn't do much.   I'm just about convince that these aren't stains at all and that the glass has actually been etched by years of abuse and zero cleaning in a salt water environment.
My new side glass should be ready in about 2 weeks so if I haven't gotten the spots out by then I guess they are just there for life ... unless someone knows of an inexpensive replacement windshield lying around somewhere.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2019 at 11:38am
I used muriatic acid to get the years of crusty stuff off the bottom of my boat last year. I found keeping the tougher stains moist with the damp MA rag for 20 - 30 seconds would soften the stain and allow removal without a lot of rubbing. Its cheap and might be worth a try???? (gloves and mask)!!!
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Well at this point I'd try about anything. I just don't want to end up with a couple hundred $$ worth of stuff that still doesn't do much.   I'm just about convince that these aren't stains at all and that the glass has actually been etched by years of abuse and zero cleaning in a salt water environment.
My new side glass should be ready in about 2 weeks so if I haven't gotten the spots out by then I guess they are just there for life ... unless someone knows of an inexpensive replacement windshield lying around somewhere.   

Water spots on glass are indeed often etched, if they arent they would likely be removable by vinegar and water quite easily. If etched they can in fact be polished out - some of the snake oils above are actual polish with grit that can get rid of at least some level of etched in spots. Don't get a wax, cleaner, or even an acid if they aren't removable by vinegar get something that polishes and get some ice packs for your elbow...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2019 at 12:36pm
Many of the polish instructions state that if you can feel it with a fingernail they will not polish out,except this one- Eastwood link -1   
Link 2
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2019 at 3:22pm

Many of the polish instructions state that if you can feel it with a fingernail they will not polish out,except this one- Eastwood link -1   
Link 2

yes if they are that deep you have to wetsand first...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2019 at 9:13pm
Well thanks Joe and Gary ... that's not only the info I've been waiting for but the link Gary has may very well be the ticket to getting my windshield in reasonable shape

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2019 at 11:03pm
I would have never guessed to sand them like Joe says but it makes sense. Let us know how it works if you use the Eastwood kit Joe. I have a scratch in my Mustang I'd like to see if I can get it out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 10:24am

I would have never guessed to sand them like Joe says but it makes sense. Let us know how it works if you use the Eastwood kit Joe. I have a scratch in my Mustang I'd like to see if I can get it out.

To be clear I wouldn't go sanding on anything that was already pretty good, but if it was a lost cause otherwise then it is done, in a previous job I designed refrigerated display cases often with complicated insulated glass fronts or ends and would occasionally need to sand, polish, or even flame polish at joints or scratches.   I was much better with Acrylic than with glass, because you could typically just get it close and flame polish the rest of the way but a few of the production workers were miracle workers.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2019 at 9:02pm
When I get my new side windows I should have the old ones to experiment with. I'll let you know how things turn out.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 5:14pm
Finally received the glass polishing kit from the link Gary posted - THANKS GARY !! - and since the job out of town is complete and I'm home now for a while, I took this morning to give it a try.   My glass shop called yesterday with the good news that my new side glass was in so that was first stop. Using the old glass for testing, I was at first a bit disappointed because while it seemed to be working, I had spent about 10 minutes on a 6" x 10" area and it seemed there was only about 50% gone. Working a bit harder at it the next time proved to do a lot better job and the spot etching was nearly gone in that area, so now time to start in on the windshield.   After 2-3 treatments on the inside and only a vigorous single treatment out, 3 hours later the windshield is virtually spot free!      
Not completely gone, but at least 90 or 95% and the remaining stubborn areas have been reduced to faint spots, barely even noticeable..

Anyone having this problem in the future, THIS is the stuff to buy! Back up a few posts to get Gary's links - first one is for the HD kit which includes sanding discs and the second is the kit I bought. Same products just with the addition of the sanding discs on the HD kit.

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 11:43pm
This belongs with a sticky somehow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 7:57am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

This belongs with a sticky somehow

Definitely should go in the FAQ thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic