Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 351W fresh water cooling (FWC)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2020 at 6:35pm
Before realising there were air leaks in the raw water circuit I was thinking the impeller was to blame for my issues, so I ordered a new one. Because my bucket test results were far better after the air leaks were fixed (definitely emptied a 5 gallon bucket in less than a minute at idle) I never installed the new impeller. But I'll install it and see if that makes a difference.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 4:03am
As I noted in this thread, my boat's ventilation system was totally butchered at some point. As part of this process, the front vents were sealed off, so it seems to me there is very limited flow of fresh air getting to the engine under normal operating conditions. Could improving engine ventilation improve engine temperatures in any meaningful way?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

Could improving engine ventilation improve engine temperatures in any meaningful way?

I really don't feel it would help the cooling problem.  Have you double checked how you have the engine plumbed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 6:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I really don't feel it would help the cooling problem.  Have you double checked how you have the engine plumbed?

Yes, I'm confident the plumbing is correct. I'll change the impeller and report back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2020 at 2:01am
Below are pictures of my disassembled raw water pump. The impeller clearly is not in the best of shape anymore, so hopefully changing that will improve water flow/priming at low engine speeds.

Three questions I'd really appreciate some help with:
  1. Do any of the other parts look like they need to be replaced? I'm specifically thinking of the cam - how does one tell if it is excessively worn? The bearings rotate smoothly, which I assume means they are still in good shape.
  2. I know it is critical to install the pump the right way (cam screw out in my case), but does it matter which way around the cam is installed inside the impeller housing? Looks to me like it is fairly symmetrical, so flipping it around should not affect impeller performance?
  3. Is the only seal between the impeller housing and the pump cover the small rubber o-ring? The impeller kit came with a number of paper gaskets. The one in the last photo below fits my pump, but there was no such paper gasket installed between the impeller housing and pump cover when I disassembled the pump. And the diagram below from the Sherwood catalog does suggest that the paper gasket fits between the pump cover and the bearing housing, not between the pump cover and the impeller housing, so I guess it is only the small o-ring that seals the impeller housing and the pump cover?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2020 at 7:55am
To me, the cam looks good, it's symmetrical and can go in either way.

The O ring goes on one side of the plate and gasket on the other just like the diagram shows.

Pete will probably say that impeller is good for another quarter of a century or so...........I'd replace it anyways since you're having cooling issues Wink
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2020 at 1:11pm
The housing only goes together 1 way, as the holes are not exactly 120 deg apart.

I would just scrape off the crud, put a new PCM impeller in it, & not look back.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The housing only goes together 1 way, as the holes are not exactly 120 deg apart.

I would just scrape off the crud, put a new PCM impeller in it, & not look back.

I think what you really mean to say is that the holes are indeed 120 degrees apart and the housing can go on 3 different ways but only one way works to have the suction and discharge facing straight up and down on a PCM pump bracket Wink

Wilhelm took some really good, clear pictures and you could measure the distance between the 3 holes and see that they're 120 degrees apart on the bearing housing, the impeller housing and the gasket..

Or I could mention that I just put one together 3 different ways
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2020 at 9:28pm
OK sorry for bad info, it must be a different pump than I had.  Mine would only go together 1 way.  Maybe it was machined wrong but it is a fact.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Singlespeedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Singlespeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2021 at 11:36am
Do you still have the lower thermostat housing R025004? Mine is cracked and I'm searching!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Singlespeedy Singlespeedy wrote:

Do you still have the lower thermostat housing R025004? Mine is cracked and I'm searching!

Yes I do - it is installed on my engine.

It took quite a bit of searching around to get everything together for the fresh water cooling conversion I did in 2019. Rudy Solares at Marine Parts Guys eventually managed to get everything together for me (after a lot of to and fro with PCM from his side). Bottom line: I could not order R025004 as an individual part. PCM (via Rudy) eventually gave me one part number (RA025009) to order which included (or replaced) all of the following items:

My understanding at the time was that there had been a problem with the sealing of the thermostat in the thermostat housing, so the thermostat housing was redesigned and the old one (R025004) discontinued. I'm not sure of the part number for just the lower housing that was included in my RA025009, and whether the lower housing included with RA025009 will work with the old upper housing (R025009 or RB025009). I guess SkiDim or someone like Marine Parts Guys should be able to get the answer out of PCM for you (PCM doesn't like dealing directly with the public - they told me as much via Rudy).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2021 at 9:31am
Wrapping up this thread: the impeller change did not change much as far as engine temps or bucket test results go. I've decided to live with the slightly high (by marine standards - but seemingly acceptable by automotive standards) operating temps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic