Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mooring all summer?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mooring all summer?
    Posted: April-22-2019 at 5:45pm
Hey guys....

I have a 1986 2001 and plan on leaving it in the water all summer. I have a few options... but want to use the most common sense. Having the boat in the water all summer will be a game changer and save minimum 40 minutes every outing (probably more like an hour) in hooking up the trailer, launching, recovering the boat and placing it back in storage. Also... the stringers are starting to go... there are plenty of gel cracks, and the boat hasn't had reverse operational for the last 3 seasons (turns out you don't need it haha) and the interior is shot. This is not a trailer queen. It's been reliable and will probably be put out to pasture (sold or parted out) by next season. I'm on a very small lake where the waves aren't huge even in gale force winds. It will be in a cove only open to wind from S-SW-W.

I plan on installing a second automatic bilge pump on a separate battery with a solar panel battery tender.

Here are my options:

1. Tie it up or use mooring whips attached to my houseboat.
2. Tie it up to muddy shoreline 50 feet from houseboat. Use a couple lines off the back to keep the boat relatively straight.
3. Mooring ball.
4. Keep on trailering, pay storage fees, lose 40 min to an hour every excursion.

Once a year we will get 50 mph winds+ and I'm usually pretty good at watching the forecast. It's no problem to pull the boat out before that happens. I have plenty of 30 gallon plastic barrels and have thought that maybe adding some plastic barrels with straps under the boat could help keep it from going down if too much water got in. That scenario could help the first 3 options above.

Full disclosure: I'm an insurance broker and yes insurance would pay out (probably quite well) considering the condition of the boat vs what it's insured for. I'd rather rely on loss prevention measures than insurance payouts.

Any thoughts / experiences would be appreciated.

Dwight
1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2019 at 6:29pm
Easiest way is to toss a mooring ball and stab a very serious anchor or massive block and moor it away from the houseboat. I’d install a drip less shaft seal (I think that will stop the prop shaft drip drip drip), make sure your rudder packing is tight and get the cover watertight with some good waterproofing agent.

Yeah mooring can affect wood boats unfavorably. Cracked gel won’t help that either with water soaking into the glass—but at this point I think if it sinks you’ll be ahead of the game anyways from the sound of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic