Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 Reverse Rotation Rear Seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TwoPalms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoPalms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 Reverse Rotation Rear Seal
    Posted: April-30-2019 at 7:47pm
Hey Guys, New to the Forum and CCs.
I recently purchased a 1980 Tique in remarkable condition, previous owner was up front about the "common" rear seal leak that the 302 seems to have, it just seems to be a bit more than I was expecting. I am typically going through a quart about every 3 hours of run time at an average of 20-25 MPH cruising speed. again, to me, this seems like a lot, and I'm just wanting to know if this is considered normal for an engine that has roughly 100 hours on a ten year old rebuild, is there anything I can do to lessen this, like additives, or different oil, or am I just going to have to pull the motor and tear it down to replace the seal? The previous owner was running Valvoline standard 10W40, I have only had the boat a few weeks and have continued with that oil so far, while getting to know the boat. I have read a fair amount of debate about the different oils and was planning to make a decision on the new oil I would run as I got closer to my first oil change.
FYI, I do have a catch pan under the rear seal with oil diapers in it, so I am not creating an ecological disaster.

Sorry the post is a bit long, just wanted to get the relevant info in up front.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 9:00pm
Derek,
Welcome to CCfan.

I feel you will need to replace the seal as there really isn't any additive that will completely cure the problem.

Regarding oil, do look into one that has proper ZDDP levels to prevent damage to your flat tappet engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic