Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT engine has no power to fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT engine has no power to fuel pump
    Posted: May-02-2019 at 2:59pm
A friend has a 98 or 99 air nautique with the 351 EFI GT motor. He recently replaced the steering cable and after an hour of boating afterwards, his boat stopped and wouldn't restart. It'll crank but won't run. Don't know if the two are related but yanking a big cable through the boat could've pulled something loose.

We've diagnosed it down to the fuel pump not getting power. Further diagnosis shows that the 50 amp breaker in the engine compartment has power on both wires. The 15 amp and 12.5 amp breakers don't have power to either wire so I'm guessing there is something here that is the culprit. However, the wiring is all bunched together and without a wiring diagram, I'm not sure what is supposed to send power to those.

His kill switch is directly wired up because it failed a couple years ago so I don't think that's the issue.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 3:09pm
Check the small red wire off the battery that has a glass style fuse in it. If the fuse is blown or the wire is broken somewhere it will not send power to the ECU. Will crank but will not run or turn on the fuel pumps.
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 3:41pm
Also the obvious, check the kill switch.
2005 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by man0seven man0seven wrote:

Also the obvious, check the kill switch.

Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

His kill switch is directly wired up because it failed a couple years ago so I don't think that's the issue.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 12:39am
I might point out that my boat had also been directly wired when I bought it. Stuff can happen ... if the connection didn't get corroded enough to cause an issue, perhaps the fact that the two wires had been merely twisted together and loosely wrapped with a bit of electrical tape would have done it. It's all done proper now with an actual kill switch. But it never hurts to double check these things, even if you think they are fine   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 1:39am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

I might point out that my boat had also been directly wired when I bought it. Stuff can happen ... if the connection didn't get corroded enough to cause an issue, perhaps the fact that the two wires had been merely twisted together and loosely wrapped with a bit of electrical tape would have done it. It's all done proper now with an actual kill switch. But it never hurts to double check these things, even if you think they are fine   

I agree. I checked it as well. It was connected with a twist connector and wrapped with electrical tape. I pull it all off and verified that the wires were still solidly together.

My friend reported back that the glass fuse wasn't blown.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

However, the wiring is all bunched together and without a wiring diagram, I'm not sure what is supposed to send power to those.

Go to the link below from the CCF reference section and look at section 6 and you'll now be able to say you have a wiring diagram   

section 6.8 has a wiring diagram of the fuel pump circuit.

Any reference to the 10 way connector is wrong, it's an 8 plug connector on the PCM engines

link

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 10:47am
Relay
Jump the pumps see if that gets them running.

Jump the pump like this
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic