NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Points problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2019 at 6:12am
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2019 at 2:58pm
You guys are pretty funny.
Points problem history, when I installed my first set back in 1974 I failed to lubricate the lobes. All points used to come with a little container with point lobe lube.
I failed to lubricate and the car left me stranded a couple days later.
On tear down the points were closed, lack of lube on the new points allowed them to wear until the points closed. A little lube on the lobes is mandatory if you want them to live.

I also installed a set of points because my old points had fried. When I bought new points I failed to buy a new condensor. Guess what, a couple days later I was stranded again, points were glazed over and not working. A little file work and a new condensor and they were happy again.

Check your voltage to the distributor while cranking and while running.
Cranking you should have 12V, after it starts that will drop down, I think 7.8 to 8.5 V.
The lower voltage as mentioned above in a post increases the life of your points.
Full battery voltage on start up helps you fire up faster.

It would help diagnose to know what you see when you take out the old set of points. Is the gap closed? Are the points frosted over? You have a problem that needs to be fixed.
The engine will run well with points once fixed.
For simplicity I switched a couple engines over to the GM HEI distributor, they make a conversion for the Ford engine. These work very well, start quickly and eliminate points.
If you ever have an issue the HEI parts are available at all auto parts stores.
I liked the improvement in cold start with the HEI installed.
The distributor and plug wires need to be changed if you go with HEI. You need later model high energy plug wires. Edit: the HEI may not meet coast guard requirements for spark control, you don't want to blow up your boat.
Hope you get it fixed.
Mark
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2019 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Check your voltage to the distributor while cranking and while running.
Cranking you should have 12V, after it starts that will drop down, I think 7.8 to 8.5 V.
The lower voltage as mentioned above in a post increases the life of your points.
Full battery voltage on start up helps you fire up faster.

PCM didn't wire with a 12v shot during cranking. I have tested both ways and saw no difference. If you are getting low voltage from the get go then that may help start up but really does nothing on a healthy points system.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

PETE I'M TELLING YOU, IF YOU HAVE POINTS YOU HAVE TO CHECK UNDER THE CAP!!!!!

Paul

You're all screwed up, that's Pete flogging me with a 28 year old dead fish

That's how long he really went without looking at his points according to this old thread

link

Here's a quote from the thread in the link, fairly entertaining thread if you read the whole thing

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don't forget I got 28 years out of a point set without ANY filing/sanding the contact faces!!! Unbelievable? No. it'e true!! It started EVERY year and the contact faces weren't that worn. There's a thread on when I put the new point set in the X55. I'l see if I can find it.

This guy has been smoking something!!

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2019 at 9:44pm
Maybe it's just me, but I'm still kinda stuck on how it is that Pete knows so much about acrylic nails and emery boards ....    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2019 at 5:43am
Heck, I want to know how many hours are involved in the 28 years.
It may be 28 years and a total of 30 minutes run time!
Sorry Pete, the photo had me ready to jump in.
Mark
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2019 at 9:13am

Emery board grits:
"80 grit – sharp and very rough, used for removing outer gel or acrylic overlays. It’s too rough for natural nails.
180 grit – medium sharp and medium rough, used for preparing nail plate before applying gel or acryl and for shaping artificial nails.
240 grit – not so sharp and rough, for final filing artificial nails. This grit can be used for filing natural nails."
All too coarse of a grit in my opinion. You what to remove the oxide that forms on the contact faces and not the Silver Cadmium plating. It's rumored that with the manufacturing done in China that the plating isn't what it used to be! [/QUOTE]

I think we are all missing the POINT here? How has Pete become an expert on emery boards?? Is he hanging out in that Vietnamese nail salon near the Home Depot?? Hahaha
Js
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Heck, I want to know how many hours are involved in the 28 years.
It may be 28 years and a total of 30 minutes run time!
Sorry Pete, the photo had me ready to jump in.
Mark

You could go to the link a few posts back and read thru it or you could click on this link below. It's in there on the second page   

link

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2019 at 6:12am
Dang Ken, that post was 3 years before I joined this site.
Pete Nice work getting 600 hours out of your set of points.
Myself I never had that kind of luck or talent.
We always found a way to forget the key was in the Run Position while the engine was not actually running and fried the points. Usually it was a kid that wanted to hear the stereo.
I finally wired the stereo live to avoid needing the key on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic