Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 SN wont start hot,....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 SN wont start hot,....
    Posted: May-15-2019 at 1:50pm
Been trying to figure out why motor just spins for a long time then sputters a bit then spins and sputters and finally starts. After i have ran across the lake and stopped. Acts like its flooded but not sure. Had carb rebuilt thinking it was leaking gas onto pistons. Just changed the coil as i read something online after a search.
Go to fire it up in shop and it spun for a long time before firing. Worried im gonna burn up new starter or kill the battery. Mostly does it after engine is hot. But has done it when i get to ramp. Im stumped.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 3:29pm
yes it acts flooded and probably is. After coming to a stop and turning off the engine if you open the box and remove the flame arrestor and look down it maybe dripping fuel into the carb. If it is doing this that is bad, it will flood the engine and make it difficult to start. To get it to start you would open the throttle all the way and crank it, this will allow enough air to come through the engine to dillute the excess of gas you have.   Of course you will need to be at the ready to close the throttle once it starts. Your rebuild carb could have the float set too high, or have a bad set of needle and seat, or whatever garbage was in your fuel system could be back into the new needle and seat.   Either way if you see gas dripping after shutoff then you know what the problem is...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 6:39pm
Thanks. Will check it out saturday then get back.
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 11:53am
Adjusted floats and i think that fixed the issue. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic