NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jotoba swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jotoba swim platform
    Posted: May-16-2019 at 10:01pm
Well it finally arrived yesterday and I got right on it with a coat of teak oil and second coat this evening. I'm going to let it sit for another 24 and see if it needs a 3rd, but I think it turned out pretty good.   

Ordered it from the site a little over a month ago. I would have preferred building my own like Steve out of actual teak, but teak prices in my neck of the woods would have about doubled the cost.   I've worked with Jatoba before and have had good, consistent results so given the cost difference I decided to give this one a try. I'm actually fairly impressed with the quality and wood choice so even as picky as I am I think it's going to work very well.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 10:09pm
Joe,
Very nice indeed. If I would build a platform and the cost of the wood wasn't a factor, I would actually use Jatoba. I've worked with both Teak and Jatoba and feel the latter is a better choice. It's Janka hardness is better and it's rot resistance is equal to Teak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 10:26pm
Good to know Pete    Guess I didn't realize it was harder than teak, though now that you say it I do remember thinking teak was a lot easier to sand    
I was considering building my own out of Jatoba after finding out the price of teak around here. But then I was quoted the cost for Jatoba and it was actually only slightly less that the cost through the site!    I figured give the site some support and save some weekend time for myself.   Win win   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2019 at 12:03am
That’s a great looking platform. I thought about Jacob as well because of it durability. The weekend or weekends of time saved is worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic