Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 Sport Nautique Floorboard

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sdunn4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sdunn4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1999 Sport Nautique Floorboard
    Posted: May-19-2019 at 8:30pm
Looking for the piece of flooring that the motor box attaches to. Piece is roughly 1 1/2” thick and 29” x 24” rough dimensions. Ours is spongy; our other alternative is to build a piece out of marine grade plywood (glue 2 3/4” thick pieces together).

Thanks,

Steve
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2019 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Sdunn4 Sdunn4 wrote:

Looking for the piece of flooring that the motor box attaches to. Piece is roughly 1 1/2” thick and 29” x 24” rough dimensions. Ours is spongy; our other alternative is to build a piece out of marine grade plywood (glue 2 3/4” thick pieces together).

Thanks,

Steve

Steve—I’m hoping those with guru-level experience can jump in if I’m off base here. Seems to me you’d want to avoid putting something that rots into an all Fiberglas boat. I’ve seen others use Starboard material for this. It’s strong and won’t rot.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2019 at 10:12pm
Its also not very strong when not well supported. I’d opt for ply instead for that panel over a 26” span. There are other composite options but they’re not cheap.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2019 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Its also not very strong when not well supported. I’d opt for ply instead for that panel over a 26” span. There are other composite options but they’re not cheap.

Yah—gonna need some reinforcement!

Material Properties
As noted before, StarBoard(R) is a homogenous sheet of polymer material. As such, it doesn’t rot, delaminate or swell when subjected to rain, spray or saltwater. The polymer is treated with stabilizers to protect it from UV damage and it will retain its color indefinitely. Cleaning is simple with a scrub brush or ScotchBrite pad and scouring powder. For tougher stains use bleach and water.

StarBoard(R) is made from FDA and USDA approved materials. This means its fine for things like cutting boards, galley countertops or fish scaling tables.

One characteristic to be aware of is that StarBoard(R) is not a structural material. That is, you will need to reinforce or support large flat areas of the material. You could use wood cleats underneath, but why introduce the thing you are trying to replace – the wood? When I need to reinforce a piece of StarBoard(R), I use a piece of extruded aluminum, angle or tubing, or a narrow piece of StarBoard(R) set on edge.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2019 at 10:16pm
Go with TRBenj. I know just enough to be dangerous here. Thankfully never had a problem with delamination on the SS!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2019 at 10:18pm
Ply epoxied together and then CPES'd would be my choice. For added strength and water resistance, a layer of 6 oz. glass and epoxy on all sides would do it. Marine grade ply isn't really needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Sdunn4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sdunn4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 10:08am
Thanks for all the replies! What is “CPES’d”- the fiberglass treatment you mentioned? I’m also inquiring through our local Correct Craft dealer- hoping that piece may still be available. Seems like a lot of the CC boats would have used that piece and maybe it’s a standard and still in use? Ours was always just not right (yeah I know we have put up with it for 20 years and over 800 hours...), and I suspect there was a manufacturing issue from the start. Our dealer “solved” the issue initially with a stack of washers screwed in under the floorboard.

Thanks,

Steve
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Sdunn4 Sdunn4 wrote:

What is “CPES’d”
Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. It's a very low viscosity epoxy that soaks in deeply sealing the wood. It's also a fantastic primer for subsequent coats of epoxy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic