Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Clayton_1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton_1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 Restoration
    Posted: June-18-2019 at 9:37pm
I'm 19 years old and I took on the project of restoring a 1986 nautique and I have the boat completely stripped. Floors and stringers out. I am stuck with shaping the new stringers and am wondering if there is a template or if someone has advice on shaping the new 2x6's.
Clayton Chandler
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 1:37am
Welcome Clayton. Did you get anything out with the stringers you removed that can serve as a template? Hopefully so. If not maybe someone.can give you some assistance. If you did, you can use that as a template for the side it came out of and a rough template for the other side. That “other” side we cut a touch large on the hull side and then used a power planer to fit to the hull.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 6:40am
Clayton,
Yes, welcome to CCfan. It's great you found the site. As David asked, what's left of the old stringers? Did you get any measurements? Tell us more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton_1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 10:24pm
The old stringers were rotten on top because the glass covering them cracked bad and so on both, there was really no way to make a useable template from them. that is the reason I am so stuck.
Clayton Chandler
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 11:52pm
First, Welcome Clayton!!   Glad you're on the site and hope to see many more pics as the project unfolds and progresses.

For the other guys to answer ( and for your info if they do) didn't I see that someone on the site had actually made a CAD drawing of the '2001' series stringers?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton_1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 11:56pm
That would be awesome and I am trying to move forward with this project and will keep posting but if anyone has any info on something like a CAD drawing or template of some sort it would be much appreciated!
Clayton Chandler
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 9:26am
I made a full traced copy for another guy of my ‘85s stringers
I could do another but it may be a little while till I get time to do them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 9:35am
jterr is the member I did them for, maybe he is done with them and can forward them to you.
Try sending him a PM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton_1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 6:43pm
Do you still have the tracing ? or did you send him the paper outline? I think I am going to do flat top stringers and just measure the angle that I need the engine and tans to be from another boat. The most important thing is that the engine and trans are at the correct angle for the prop shaft so all the notching is technically not necessary as long as I only notch the area for the bracket that the engine mounts sit on the rest can be flat and then from there I can measure floor hight and go down if needed. But if you can get me the traced template somewhat soon that would be amazing and I would appreciate the help a ton! thank you
Clayton Chandler
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 6:45pm
I still have the stringers, I would have to trace them again.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 6:48pm
The angle is not the concern (the mounts pivot on the trunnions) but rather the locations of the mounts and the appropriate stringer height at those locations. Other than that, the original floor should allow you to piece together the appropriate height for everything else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton_1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 6:48pm
I am going to message jterr and see if he responds within a day o so if he still has the tracing. If he does not I can give you my email and then go from there on getting a tracing to me. thank you for the input and being willing to help
Clayton Chandler
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 11:47am
where in FL are you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton_1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 6:29pm
Lake County. Just north of Orlando
Clayton Chandler
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 7:42pm
Im in Sorrento.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 12:30am
Clayton ur a lucky guy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic