Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect Pass Install - Any Experts?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perfect Pass Install - Any Experts?
    Posted: June-25-2019 at 5:47pm
I have a Perfect Pass unit on the way for my 91 Nautique

Basic Engine Info - 351 PCM PRO-TEC (RETRO UPGRADED) Otherwise Stock Engine - - Carb --

I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips, gotchas, or detailed instructions on the install. I haven't been able to find any videos or info that is beyond super high level. I have the basic concept of what needs to happen here, but looking for the experience I know can only be found here.

Perfect Pass Unit Info - Stargazer Wake Edition S (Ordered New From PP)

Any help is appreciated.

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2019 at 1:32pm
I used the instructions provided by PP. They were very good an included photos, if I recall correctly. Also, the folks at PP are very friendly and provide great customer service. If you have any questions along the way I'd call or send an email.

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2019 at 2:31pm
Kevin,

I had heard that about PP. Any "gotchas" or "make sure you" that you can think of outside of those instructions?

Thanks,

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2019 at 2:42pm
It needs a good power source.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Looking at going the Relay from Battery Route like posted by M3Fan on a different post. Link Here

Any thoughts on that yay or nay?
1991 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2019 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by 91NaughtyQ 91NaughtyQ wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Looking at going the Relay from Battery Route like posted by M3Fan on a different post. Link Here

Any thoughts on that yay or nay?

Joel's method is certainly an option for someone who doesn't upgrade the wiring up to the dash. If you are having gauge problems due to the undersized wiring, the heavier wire upgrade is still recommended solving both issues.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 8:51pm
I have been reading about more and more people going with the relay option and being very happy with the results.

I really can't think of anything "tricky" about the installation. Do the PP instructions have a lot of photos? I could take a few of my setup (not stargazer) for you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

I have been reading about more and more people going with the relay option and being very happy with the results.

Kevin,
Do understand the relay won't fix your low voltage at the dash problem. In fact, it is actually adding more load at the dash. Probably not enough to affect but the relay coil is still a load at about 150 to 200 ma.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2019 at 12:48am
So the only real long-term fix is a complete rewire of the dash?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

So the only real long-term fix is a complete rewire of the dash?

Kevin,
Long term I'd get heavier wire up to the dash for the needed power. It wouldn't involve a complete rewire of the dash. Many have run both the heavier + and - up to terminal blocks at the dash and then tapped off them to the individual circuits. Joel's method works but it's a "crutch" on the verge of a back yard hack job! An analogy would be tapping directly into the power line outside your house because you electric service isn't big enough to handle the load in the house. Since you have mentioned you do already have the symptoms of low voltage at the dash, I'd think about the heavier wire.

I don't think I've ever seen the current draw of a PP. Does anyone know?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:47am
Pete,

I most definitely need to do this. Do you know of any examples out there with some instructions on running heavier + and - to the dash? I am not sure what and where to change. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic