Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCV Valve Grommet & vacuum gauge attachment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCV Valve Grommet & vacuum gauge attachment
    Posted: July-01-2019 at 4:45pm
After I had the Holley carburetor rebuilt this spring I've been having idle stalling issues and have been reading the forum and working my way through the solutions. At this point the engine is running fairly well but still has some surging and I can't get the idle down below 900 or 1000. I've checked and don't have any vacuum leaks around the carburetor, but didn't know at the time to check around the PCV valve and connection at the valve cover.

The PCV grommet looks like it has a crack in it and the PCV valve and the grommet are original to the boat. Neither are expensive so I am going to change them out along with the hose. I cannot find anything online giving me a grommet specific to this engine. Anyone know the model number or ID and OD of the grommet?

Along the way I would like to install a T and a connection for a vacuum gauge in the PCV hose. Once I am sure i've eliminated any possible vacuum leaks I am going to properly adjust the idle screws with a vacuum gauge. Any suggestions on parts for a neat installation of a vacuum port would be appreciated.

1986 Silver Nautique. Ford 351. Picture shows the top of the engine but was taken in 2008, so various hoses and electrical items have been upgraded since then.

Thanks
Andrew
Builder
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 5:32pm
Did you remove the throttle cable to verify the throttle is actually returning to its adjustable stop?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 5:48pm
I didn't. However as I turn the curb screw out the RPMs drop and engine starts to stumble around 800 +/- and then dies.
Builder
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 1:30am
Based on your symptoms, your idle circuit may need to be tweaked in addition to correcting any vacuum leaks. Watch the video in the link below to see how to adjust the idle circuit on a Holley 4160 carb.

VIDEO LINK

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2019 at 9:20am
Here are a couple of pictures of what works for me.

The Tee came in an assortment of fittings from one of Pete's favorite places like Auto Zone or Advance Auto. it was a Dorman package with a variety of fittings. I suppose Pete's NAPA would have them too

You can leave it in the hose and cap it or remove when done. I take it back out and hook the long hose back to the PCV valve

Some people just unhook the hose from the PCV and plug the vacuum gauge into the hose, either way will work

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

What works for me is that same tee setup you used on the fuel line but this time tee it into the PCV line with the gauge hooked up. Use a couple inch piece of fuel line so you don't have to cut into the pcv line at all. For me it's a 3/8 by 3/8 by 1/4 tee

This will give you good accurate vacuum readings

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic