NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dui install

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1TAZZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dui install
    Posted: July-07-2019 at 6:20pm
I recently install a Dui Hei using Jpass link, thank you for that write up , I am having a problem getting the volts I need for the hei . Where can I get a good 12 volt lead for the hei . It will start but under a load it starts skipping . My boat is 1991 excel with a 351 Thanks for any help.

Lake Wylie NC
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 7:22pm
What is the supply you're using now?

Is it the same supply as the Jpass link?

What is the voltage to the coil when the engine is running ? Assuming your alternator is working right you should have a good 13+ volts to the DUI distributor, unless you have wiring issues.

Here's another link with some info, it may help or it may confuse you.

link
1TAZZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 7:45pm
Thanks, it is wired to the jpass spec . I will check the volts when I get some help. I am showing good volts on my dash gauge at idle. I installed new plugs today. It changed nothing. It runs good until I but a load on the motor.
Lake Wylie NC
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by 1TAZZ 1TAZZ wrote:

Thanks, it is wired to the jpass spec . I will check the volts when I get some help. I am showing good volts on my dash gauge at idle. I installed new plugs today. It changed nothing. It runs good until I but a load on the motor.

Hard to get any good fun use out of the boat without loading the engine

Easiest way to check voltage would be to check the positive connection to the choke while the engine is running, it should be the same as your coil input voltage and it's easier to access that connection

edit.......after another look at the jpass thread, I'd also check the voltage at the coil positive and make sure it's the same as at the choke
1TAZZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 8:01pm
Thanks I will check it after work . Not much fun when you spent your forth working on your boat and watching all the other boats out on the lake.
Lake Wylie NC
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 8:30pm

Thanks I will check it after work . Not much fun when you spent your forth working on your boat and watching all the other boats out on the lake.

See my edit in my previous post about checking and comparing choke voltage and coil voltage.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 12:04am
What are the chances the timing is off or firing order is incorrect? That is where I would put my money.

Despite the warnings, my experience has been that the DUI is fairly tolerant of mediocre supply voltage.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:15am
What makes you think you even have a “low voltage” problem
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 10:28am
Since he thinks he does, a few minutes with a meter will tell him if he does............or doesn't,
1TAZZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 7:56pm
Ok so I checked my volts today and this is what showed 12.2 on my Batt . 11.8 on my choke lead and 11.8 on my lead to my dizzy this is with the switch in the on position. So I am not sure what I do next . I am about to miss another summer of boating again .
Lake Wylie NC
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 8:29pm

Ok so I checked my volts today and this is what showed 12.2 on my Batt . 11.8 on my choke lead and 11.8 on my lead to my dizzy this is with the switch in the on position. So I am not sure what I do next . I am about to miss another summer of boating again .

Hell no you won't miss another summer

Why not look at what TRB asked (quoted below)

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What are the chances the timing is off or firing order is incorrect? That is where I would put my money.

Despite the warnings, my experience has been that the DUI is fairly tolerant of mediocre supply voltage.

What's the firing order you're using and what direction are you going around the cap and what's your timing set at.

Even if you're sure it's all right, spit it out here

I seem to think you have a reverse rotating engine, you would know from when you bought the distributor or from the engine ID tag too.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 8:37pm
Looking back through your old posts it looks like you had carb problems then you said your protec crapped out. What symptoms did you have that made you think the protec failed? Did the DUI make a difference?
1TAZZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 9:18pm
Thanks guys to follow up last summer I thought the protect was causing the problems I was having so I removed it and installed the DUI, the first time out this year the boat ran great for about 20-30 min I ran it up to around 35 mph all good . I pulled up to my dock and the boat started loading up so I look at he carb and it is puking gas out the back secondary into the motor. I had the carb rebuilt and installed new plugs . This weekend I put it in the water and it starts up good revs good so I back it off the trailer and start it power up and it starts to skip and wont power up, so I load it up, that is where I am at . You Guys have been a great help. To think I sold my 1990 for this boat . This boat was the dock queen of my cove and I always wanted it so it came up for sale I had to have it.
Lake Wylie NC
1TAZZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 1:01am
Update worked on my boat today , boat mechanic helped me .and what we found was a shock , turns out the new Hei module was bad. I would have never thought this.
Lake Wylie NC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic