NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New owner here - 1984 Ski Nautique 454

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 1:38pm
What it comes down to is that the hull was designed for going up to 36mph in a straight line over generally calm water.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

What it comes down to is that the hull was designed for going up to 36mph in a straight line over generally calm water.

55 mph, motor spinning the wrong way, over powered hull, rough water...........
Yep "Super Beast" sounds about right....
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 2:43pm
How calm of water are we talking, does it have to be glass? lol
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 2:50pm
The danger is when the front of the boat gets low in the water and the sharp chine grabs steering control away from the rudder. Boat wakes are going to be a much bigger danger than wind chop. Especially wakes traveling away from you, at anything other than a perpendicular angle. Slowing down as you enter them will exacerbate the issue. This can happen at relatively sane speeds on a flat bottom ski boat, especially one with strong leaning tendencies (such as a LH Prop 2001).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 3:08pm
I've always said "when in doubt, throttle out"

Might really be the best thing to do in this boat to keep the nose higher though if you need to act fast
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 3:24pm
I have heard as mentioned from trusted friends that this happens in the 2001 hull design.
I never experienced anything like this in the 1978 I owned or the 1995 NWZ hull.

Am I wrong, can this happen in other Correct Craft hulls?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 3:46pm
Can happen to any of them. 2gen SN’s and earlier run pretty bow high to begin with so you have a little more margin before you get into trouble but same rules apply. Can’t say I’ve seen or heard of a NWZ or newer getting into trouble but I’m sure it’s possible. The chine angles may be slightly shallower which would help, but they are also larger boats that will take quite a bit more power to push into the mid 50’s... and I don’t recall anyone having done that yet.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Why is it that the usual suspects haven't come up with any warnings about how the boat is gonna list terribly to the drivers side and handle terribly because it's a normal rotation engine in a hull designed? for a reverse rotation engine?

I figure it's survived all these years, it's just fine especially with a passenger and/or some counterweight

I see the "usual suspects" have shown up after all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 6:34pm
So I was looking at the PCM chart, was the PLN a 390 HP motor or 425 HP? The PCM book is showing 390. My motor is a PLN, which actually also indicates salt water setup according to this. See link attached for PCM decoding charts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rlm2DwfFtzUZ_RO2MaksQ3WIDrRFplyv/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19zhbo_i_2WaeRmNUTV2VYYwIE_Fj1Pej/view?usp=drivesdk
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 7:38pm
The manuals with the charts are also in the reference section here.

PXLN would indicate closed cooling and since you have a PLN and lack the normal stuff that comes with a closed system, at least that part seems original-ish.

I’ve never seen 425hp referenced anywhere but on this site, 390 is what all the manuals state. Since the auto/crate version (LS6) that used the same 990/088 rectangle heads was rated at 425hp and had a bit more compression (10-10.5:1 vs 8.6:1), I suspect the 390hp might be closer to reality. The roller cam, depending on the specs, might offset the CR difference though. Wish we had some info on that piece.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The manuals with the charts are also in the reference section here.

PXLN would indicate closed cooling and since you have a PLN and lack the normal stuff that comes with a closed system, at least that part seems original-ish.

I’ve never seen 425hp referenced anywhere but on this site, 390 is what all the manuals state. Since the auto/crate version (LS6) that used the same 990/088 rectangle heads was rated at 425hp and had a bit more compression (10-10.5:1 vs 8.6:1), I suspect the 390hp might be closer to reality. The roller cam, depending on the specs, might offset the CR difference though. Wish we had some info on that piece.

Cool makes sense, do you see any other things that don’t look original to the boat, you noticed something with the cooling system?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2019 at 5:09pm
Ok, confirmed we are speaking of the same boat, no doubts.

PM sent to Chis with contact info to owner prior to the its stint in CT,
I wasn't aware my friend is also responsible for its current scheme as well, I must have missed those seasons.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 3:04pm
Would love to time travel back to the early 80’s to hear who suggested the 454 HO in the Ski and reason behind it. Marketing? Celebrating coming out of bankruptcy? To test the limits of the Ski? I can understand having more power in the Footer. If I’m an insurance company I’m saying you’ve got almost 400 HP in a 18.9 vessel....denied!

Nevertheless, super cool craft. Now a days 450 in a Ski is nothing.

Ken
2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2019 at 1:21am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Oh yes! Super Beast. Ivory and three stripe rust/brown. Tall pylon. No mufflers last we knew. Hopefully its not too badly molested.

I spent lots of mornings in and behind super beast thanks to a great set of men gracious enough to teach me barefoot for years, and long after they moved onto other boats. good times.

Unless its been replaced, that's not your father's 454. Not as stout at Tim's BNF but it was a 55+/- mph machine i recall,

Its probably been passed around like a pool toy since being meticulously maintained for a good spell. Who knows how many owners by now

but hopefully its under good new stewardship

That engine should still be the LH Rotation rectangle port 425+HP.
Don't shoot your eye out! The boat should be respected and can spank you if your try going 40+ in mixed up water and wakes, or many aboard.

That boat's original build was not for the general public to purchase but for select people in the club of responsible enthusiasts

And recall it didn't like champion plugs, best give it AC.

Wow! 55?!! Cool!
I'm jealous
1988 2001 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic