Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat won’t stay running

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Highflyin504 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highflyin504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat won’t stay running
    Posted: July-10-2019 at 5:28pm
Hello all!
So I posted on here a few weeks ago and about my issue but I was hoping to post again to see if I can get more help.
So the problem I have is that when the boat is warm or has been staying in the sun it does not want to remain running. If you prime the carburetor with the throttle it starts up just fine but after that it will not remain running. If you open the engine housing and try to start it, there is no issue and it runs perfectly. The second you close the housing it seems as if the motor is choking itself and does not have efficient clean airflow. I have cleaned the flame arrestor and all the tubes and lines going to the carburetor that I can, with no luck. The same problem still exists. I was curious if anyone could give me suggestions and to what they think it could be.

Thank you in advance
Jon
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 6:36pm
Are your muffler hoses leaking exhaust fumes into the doghouse? it has happened to me even if boat was moving forward on the water which i assumed would clear the air enough but it still coughed until i put a new exhaust hose on.   
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Highflyin504 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highflyin504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 7:19pm
So that was one of the suggestions that a few other ski nautique owners have suggested. I am unable to determine if that is the case. It was hard to locate a leak if there is one at all out on the water. So we tried running it in the driveway and we could not find one.

I just got off the phone with a guy and we are wondering if there is a leak coming from my oil vent which is where the hose from the flame arrestor is coming from. We have a few ideas of how to determine if that is it. Probably going to see if that is the case tonight
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 8:26pm
It seems to me that any leak that could kill the engine that quickly would be easy to see and hear and smell too.

How about 4 pictures of the engine, front,rear and both sides and maybe one of the inside of the doghouse when it's up...........just because
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2019 at 8:36pm
The more I think about it I am incorrect saying it didnt go away while we were moving forward. It was when idling and going slow that caused the misfires. When we would lift the motor cover it ran fine. Now I recall from 35 years ago, before we fixed the muffler we propped the motor box open with beer cans and we could continue on our slow midnight cruise. Oh those were the days! 18 years old and not a care in the world.
Hope you find the issue.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 9:21am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Oh those were the days!

Reminds me of an old song in the link below, Bill

link
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 9:37am
heh...

Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei Sing “Those Were The Days”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDixKh3Zhu0
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2019 at 10:25am
Those are both great performances! Thanks-I needed that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic