Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Skipping

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cpatton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpatton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Skipping
    Posted: August-08-2019 at 3:35pm
I've got a 1996 Super Sport Nautique that I've been running weekly all summer. Took it out yesterday and when I pulled up the first rider it would start to accelerate then just rev up really high and quit accelerating. I looked it up online briefly and saw some said it could be the clutch needs to be replaced? Any ideas of what the problem is? I'm hoping it can be done by myself so I don't have to pay those labor fees.
1996 SS Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 3:50pm
You could check your transmission fluid level or did you do that already and just not mention it?
cpatton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpatton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2019 at 4:07pm
I checked the fluids and they were normal. If I took of slowly I could eventually get it up to speed, it would slip if I tried to accelerate quickly.
1996 SS Nautique
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 10:01pm
Does the fluid look discolored or smell burnt? How many hours on the transmission? But Chances are your in need of a rebuild. Possible causes would be bad oil pump not being able to supply enough pressure to hold in forward under that much of a load or the clutch pack is worn out and over extended the forward piston.
cpatton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpatton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:20am
The fluid color look normal and didn't make have any smells that I noticed. It may be in need of a rebuild I am working on trying to pull it out. There are around 650 hours on the transmission and boat itself. What are some things to look for if it is the oil pump?
1996 SS Nautique
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 10:39am
You can check oil pressure on forward by placing a pressure gauge on the port located on the top of the transmission by your cooler line fitting or if you remove the tranny take off the oil pump and inspect it for any scoring on either the gears or the housing.
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 12:16am
Same thing happened to me this past summer, scared the poooo outta me, I thought I had lost a prop. It only happened when I really showered down on it, other than that, it acted normal. Once the trans got warm enough, I checked the level and was half way on the stick. Topped it off, never had another problem, my engine is the gm big block, so I was pretty brutal on the takeoffs to try and make it slip, no probs since. Hope you get this figured out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic