Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coil part number

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil part number
    Posted: August-10-2019 at 3:53pm
Searched to no avail. Called parts store and not right coil for my application. No number on my coil. Does anyone know the coil part number for a 1988 - 351 W ? I am going to take mine with me for reference but tired of deer in the head light eyes that I get .
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2019 at 4:41pm
From Advance Auto, a BWD E70 coil fits the bill.

1.5 ohms on my meter

If you're a Speed perks member and you dig up a 20% discount coupon, it'll be under 20 bucks otherwise about 25 bucks.

Or ask wherever you go , for a coil for a 1967 Ford Mustang with a 289.

2 wheel drive if the parts guy absolutely needs to know

This will work for points or most electronic conversions
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2019 at 5:04pm
Ok, Thank you. Just out of curiosity , why do the auto parts store try to sell the wrong one when you tell them that it is a 351. Were our engines changed for marine use and different coils used ?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2019 at 5:15pm
Don't know what they're giving for part numbers or coils ,but you only need a coil of about 1.5 ohms primary resistance, secondary resistance will be in the 8 to 10,000 range and it'll say "for use with external resistor"

If you told them it was for a 1969 Mustang with a 351 you'd get the same coil

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2019 at 12:10am
I will tell them that in the future
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2019 at 1:29pm
Purchased electronic parts and they turned out to be wrong again. Just to re verify, aren't all of our electronic parts are supposed to be the same as a 1967 289 ? Also , would the fuel pump be the same also ?
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 12:34pm
I previously purchased points and condenser that don't fit. Called Advance and asked for part numbers for a cap, rotor, points, and condenser for a 1969 351 . I then called another store and asked for the same part numbers for a 1967 289 . The condenser and points both came back with the exact same part numbers but the part numbers are the same as the ones that I previously purchased that don't fit. . I am now thinking that previous owners might have changed the distributor and that is why these parts don't match up. Plausible ? I am not sure if cap and rotor are wrong also but figure that these will be wrong also. I really don't want to take plug wires off of cap(to take for reference) until I have the new one side by side . I tend to REALLY screw things up . Easy peasy
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Purchased electronic parts and they turned out to be wrong again. Just to re verify, aren't all of our electronic parts are supposed to be the same as a 1967 289 ? Also , would the fuel pump be the same also ?

The only ignition part that really interchanges is the coil that you originally asked about.

Ford used their own distributor in a 67 Mustang and your 351 PCM uses a Prestolite marine distributor so points, rotor, cap, condenser are different.

A 351W marine engine is kinda a mongrel

I'll post some numbers for finding points etc at a local auto parts place in a little while.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 2:24pm
Oh. Now I see . I would appreciate it .
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2019 at 2:34pm
Here are some Sierra numbers for ignition parts for your 88 which should be the screw down cap distributor. These numbers work for getting parts from NAPA with a NAPA label on them.

Points 18-5303

Condenser 18-5347

Rotor   18-5403

Cap   18-5352

The older clip down cap uses the same points and condenser but the cap and rotor are different.

Here are part numbers for the cap and rotor for the clip down cap

Cap 18-5369
Rotor 18-5407

They'll also sell you a coil for either distributor, same coil for both and the part number is 18-5435 but it's a little (Ok a lot) pricier than the coil mentioned earlier in this thread. It's the package that says "marine" that magically jacks up the price.

You could also get parts or a kit from SkiDim, NautiqueParts or a variety of other marine outfits   

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 11:28am
Thank you for the numbers. Kicking it around to get existing distributer rebuilt or maybe change to HEI system.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 3:14pm
Jeff,
Not all of us go with the "upgrades" on ignition systems. I for one am fine with running point sets in my 54 and 64. Yes, they do require an occasional replacement but I've also gone so many years on one point set I can't even remember the number of years! EI conversions have improved over the years as many were unreliable in the early years and occasionally there still are failures.

Rebuilding a distributor basically involves cleaning up the shaft and installing new bushings.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2019 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Rebuilding a distributor basically involves cleaning up the shaft and installing new bushings.

That barely qualifies as a fluff and buff Pete

He's got to check the slots in the advance limiter plate for wear that cause sticking, check the flyweights and the pins they pivot on for wear, find new springs if they're broken. stretched etc.

All of those parts fit into that category called "no longer available" unless he buys a NOS Prestolite on EBAY and in his puts his old gear on the NOS one..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 11:01am
Jeff,
If you do decide on rebuilding your distributor and don't what to take on the job yourself, I recommend a professional rebuilder. Here's an interesting article by Hagerty. In it is a link to Advance Distributors who comes recommended especially on vintage distributors. Note he has thousands of springs rather than using some spring from the hardware store. Then, he has the Sun distributor tester as a final test to check the advance curve.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 11:27am
I had Jeff do the distributor on my old MG, he does beautiful work. He is well known in British car circles.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jeff,
If you do decide on rebuilding your distributor and don't what to take on the job yourself, I recommend a professional rebuilder. Here's an interesting article by Hagerty. In it is a link to Advance Distributors who comes recommended especially on vintage distributors. Note he has thousands of springs rather than using some spring from the hardware store. Then, he has the Sun distributor tester as a final test to check the advance curve.

You should send your Tique distributor to him to have that electronic gadgetry removed and converted back to points Pete. I seem to think you have the parts to do it

Or have them electronics been nice and reliable for the last 12 years and however many years they were installed before you bought the boat with that module cleverly hidden under the cap unknown to you?

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2019 at 11:01pm
I will have to think about pros and cons .. Upon reading more , if I do end up rebuilding my existing distributor, I will send it out to link above that Pete recommended. On a different thread, someone said that if you install a HEI that you need special wires and plugs as well ? Is this true ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic