Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Dissabley and Rebuid

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Dissabley and Rebuid
    Posted: August-17-2019 at 2:27am
After chasing down some vacuum leaks I decided to go full on and rebuild my carb.
Vacuum Leaks Thread

Here are some pictures of the Carb Disassembley so far. Carb Dissassebly Pictures

Overall, I didn't think it really looked that bad but this is my first time so maybe there is something I am missing.

I did notice some pitting on the valves though..Is this a big concern?

Could this be causing my idle to be high (around 800-1000 RPM)?

I am able to get the engine to start and idle around 600 RPM for 30 seconds but then it stumbles .and dies.

I have 2 or 3 other carburetors from past boats that are in need of a rebuild, so I could probably replace that entire plate. The biggest effort would be driving over to my dad's shop about 1.5 hours each way, so it would take a half a day to get the parts and half a day to reassemble. Is it worth the effort or can I just reassemble as is?
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 8:03am
I wouldn't call the butterflies a show stopper but it looks like it was time for a good cleaning/overhaul

I don't really think the pitting would be affecting the idle.

Is it safe to assume you got a rebuild kit that has the right parts for your list number?

To me it seems kinda odd having the primary and secondary butterflies made of different material. I think there's been some parts replacement over the years for some reason

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 10:16am
I got the kit from SkiDim. Looking at the parts I took off last night and the parts in the kit it looks correct.

The weird thing on the butterflies is the screws aren't ground off, which makes me wonder if it came mismatched or someone actually put it back together and sealed the ends?

When you have a few hours I will buy you some beers and tell you all about this Craigslist boat I bought in April without a lake test that was "completely ready to go and should have no problem". It was just supposed to be a boat for a couple of seasons since I just bought a house on the lake and then I was going to get a new boat in a few years. Oh well this boat is better off for me buying it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

To me it seems kinda odd having the primary and secondary butterflies made of different material. I think there's been some parts replacement over the years for some reason

I think KenO is full of crap

I went and looked at some carburetors I have for spares, parts etc and none of them had primaries and secondaries of the same material

So I guess what I thought and what I verified weren't quite the same

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2019 at 6:00pm
Thanks for double checking. Putting the carb back together today. Hopefully with good results.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 10:45pm
Well the good news is after taking the carb apart, cleaning, renew kit, all new gaskets, pcv valve and hoses, I can now set it to idle between 500 and 700 RPM under load! So I don't think the putting on the butterflies was a big deal.

The bad news is one of the bunks on my lift came detached and I hit it with my prop.
😒

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:04pm
I hope you didn't damage the bunk

Good job on the carburetor by the way

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:13pm
Haha.. There is a chunk out of the bunk so I can only assume that means a new prop. Now I got to fix the bunk in order to get it up out of the water to check the prop.

Thanks Ken and thanks for your help.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:19pm
You might get surprised and find an undamaged prop...............maybe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 11:25pm
Not judging by the slow idle I did around the cove. Two props in one week between me and my buddy. Starting to regret giving my spare away when I sold the last boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic