NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing brackets from composite platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing brackets from composite platform
    Posted: August-20-2019 at 6:56pm
The brackets on my swim platform are damaged and I need to replace them. Problem is I can't get the screws out. I have managed to take you 2 of the 18 screws.

Looking for advice on removing stuck screws from fiberglass. I think they have 4200 or something similar holding them in so anything that may help there.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 9:42am
Are they tight and wont break free or are they stripped and won't back out?
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 10:57am
tight and won't break free
96 Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

tight and won't break free

I think I would head on down to the harbor freight and pick up an Impact Screwdriver fo r the next step --
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 1:30pm
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 1:45pm
Those impact screwdrivers can work some real magic. Great for stuck bolts too, if you're working in an area without power or air - they usually have a 3/8 or 1/2 drive on the end.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

if you're working in an area without power or air - they usually have a 3/8 or 1/2 drive on the end.

I have one of these:   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 4:46pm
I have the Harbor Freight impact screw driver, not much luck with that. I feel like its because it's 4200 and not just metal sticking the 4200 has some give.

I've tried to use Kroil Oil to loosen the bond. Not much luck there either.

Tried blow torch but it was too close to the gel coat and just burned the gel.

I am using a hand screw driver because I am afraid of stripping the screw but would a power tool possibly help?

Next step is to cut a slit in the screw to use a flat head vs the Philips head, hoping this provides more torque.

Final solution it to grind the head off the screws then remove the bracket then deal with the half screw.
96 Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

if you're working in an area without power or air - they usually have a 3/8 or 1/2 drive on the end.

I have one of these:   

A lot easier to strip the head with those Pete than with the hand impact.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I have one of these:   

Paul,
You don't have 6 point impact sockets? One nice think about most battery impacts is the torque is adjustable. Not so with electrics and with pneumatics you need to play around with the air pressure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 7:00pm

I have one of these:   

Paul,
You don't have 6 point impact sockets? One nice think about most battery impacts is the torque is adjustable. Not so with electrics and with pneumatics you need to play around with the air pressure.

Umm Pete

Those 6 point impact sockets should do a slam bang job on his Phillips head screws
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 7:19pm

I've had good luck with one of these to break loose screws.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/32908014?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Bestseller+-+PLA_sEoMawPz8___278772275744_c_S&mkwid=sEoMawPz8|dc&pcrid=278772275744&rd=k&product_id=32908014&gclid=CjwKCAjw1_PqBRBIEiwA71rmtQX5Xu64P3a6ELwEdpnE5g01K7scf6TFZixYHXzSX5H7mcearBAUyxoC9ZkQAvD_BwE

+1 on these. I purchased one last year for some use on my snowmobile on some screws and torx head screws. Worked really well as you are using the pounding force to hold the bit in the head of the screw as it gives a twist to break it loose.
I now use it anytime a screw or bolt starts to act like it wont come loose.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 8:52pm

I have one of these:   

I, too, have one - a Dewalt brushless 20v Li-Ion. Works great, but only up to about 75lb-ft torque.

I haven't stepped up to buy the men's version from Snap-On at $500. Buddy has this, no issues removing lug nuts and even most axle nuts. 230lb-ft max.

1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2019 at 10:01pm
It has always amazed me that we have stuck with the Phillips head design for over 80 years. The design for the driver to "cam out" was intentional to avoid over tightening fasteners on the automotive assembly lines. I would have thought by now the design would have been changed so the driver fits the head better. I have looked at different bits looking for better fits but with no luck. The only attempt to redesign the cross slot screw was with the Reed and Prince/Frearson design. Still available and typical in wood boat building. If a screw is available in ether a Torx or spline drive I will buy it rather than the Phillips.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2019 at 8:44pm
I could only get about 5 of the bolts removed. I started drilling out the bolts, which appears to be my only option.

I'll work on the rest of the bolts to see if I can get a couple more out before I resort to drilling them all out. Once drilled out, I plan to fill the holes.
96 Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic