NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stipped lag bolts in swim platform brackets

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stipped lag bolts in swim platform brackets
    Posted: August-28-2019 at 8:36pm
The lower lag bolts on my swim platform bracket holder have stripped from the hull. I need help with how to best repair the hole so I can re-drill them bolts in.

I know I can possibly go up in size on bolt but I am not sure I can find the right size.

So I assume I need to fill the hole with Epoxy and some type of thickener. But should I do anything else, Should I enlarge the hole so there is more to hold onto? How big should I go?

I will also probably use the same method to deal with the stuck lag bolts on my swim platform as the only way I have been able to remove the bracket was to drill out the screw holes.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2019 at 10:02pm
Paul,
Clean out the holes by drilling them slightly larger. Then fill them with thickened epoxy. I like to "prime" the hole first with straight epoxy before adding the thickened. Through bolting is an option and really is the best way. Also, keep in mind the bottom fasteners on the brackets really don't have a load on them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2019 at 11:46pm
Excellent advise and method. It’s easy go for it. Redo all your holes while your at it. Stainless of course
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2019 at 9:23am
Thanks Pete.

Since the holes for the platform are horizontal is thinkend epoxy thick enough to stay in the hole? Or do I need to do something so I doesn't run out?

I can't through bolt as the location is below the floor of the boat.
96 Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2019 at 9:36am
Paul,
Just put some tape over the hole after you get the epoxy in it.

BTW, some have cut a small section of the sole (floor) out at the aft to access through bolting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2019 at 10:27am
Have you guys tried ‘CABOSIL’. Works good. Turns epoxy into thick peanut butter type texture. It is micro sphere glass.   Hangs good on vertical   
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2019 at 11:19am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Have you guys tried ‘CABOSIL’. Works good. Turns epoxy into thick peanut butter type texture. It is micro sphere glass.   Hangs good on vertical   

I'll take a look. Thanks.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2019 at 11:44am
Can I use Total Boat Thixo cartridge to fill the holes?
96 Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2019 at 11:52am
I have not used it. But will look into it too
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2019 at 11:59am
I see. Looks really good for some stuff. Let’s see what Pete thinks. I can mix up 1/2 once of the marine epoxy w cabosil in a cup pretty easy. Cartridge might be waste
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2019 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Can I use Total Boat Thixo cartridge to fill the holes?

The Total Boat line of products is great and at a very good price. Cartridges are handy but for small jobs can be a waste. Yes, you can pull the mixing nozzle, cap the cartridge and then later put a new mixing nozzle on but, if it's more than a couple days, the resin can harden at the tip of the cartridge.
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

I see. Looks really good for some stuff. Let’s see what Pete thinks. I can mix up 1/2 once of the marine epoxy w cabosil in a cup pretty easy. Cartridge might be waste

As Daryn mentions, I too find having a small epoxy kit (resin and hardener) with metering pumps is very handy. You pump what is needed and add the filler of your choice depending on what you are doing. I would go for a quart Total Boat kit in a medium cure so you'll have it for many projects. I've had resin and hardener for years without any problems with "shelf life".

For fillers, I keep micro balloons for fairing, silica for general filling and milled fibers for structural on hand. Fillers

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2019 at 11:23am
Thanks Pete for details. When I was at store selecting fibers I noticed one type was very very heavy like lead (milled). And the other felt like nothing was in container (cabosil).
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2019 at 4:10pm
Corvette people work fiberglass frequently, most I know use paper cups for mixing the fiberglass. Small dixie cups.   Mix what you need and throw away the container every time.
Fiberglass does not clean up well so it saves trying to clean out mixing containers.
They say to avoid the cups with wax on the paper.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 10:01am
Pete I bought the three fillers you posted in the link. What do you recommend for filling the holes?
96 Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2019 at 4:15pm
I'd mix some silica and milled fillers into the resin.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd mix some silica and milled fillers into the resin.

Thanks, got the holes filled this past weekend. Went much easier then expected, I though the epoxy would run more but with the silica is was nice and think and filled the hole. Leaving it for the week to cure and will replace the bracket next weekend.

Thanks for the help.
96 Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic