Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W sometimes won’t turn over

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W sometimes won’t turn over
    Posted: September-02-2019 at 12:15am
Sometimes when I go to start my boat, I get a “click” and no turn over. I usually turn on and off ignition button, pull idle switch in and out, wiggle the throttle lever, and it eventually works. Could this be some sort of electrical connection going bad? I just replaced the ignition switch, thought it was that, but it’s still happening.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2019 at 1:04am
If you hear the click it is not a neutral safety switch issue.
My 95 did this for a while, the problem turned out to be loose starter bolts.
Of course I did not check the mounting bolts until I already took off every connection and cleaned them, reinstalled with a little dielectric grease on them.
I finally decided it must be the starter so when I went to pull it I found the top bolt tight and the bottom bolt loose. In my case this was the issue.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2019 at 11:33am
I’ll check that out today!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Could this be some sort of electrical connection going bad? I just replaced the ignition switch, thought it was that, but it’s still happening.

Battery condition? Battery terminal connections? Battery cables? Battery type NO deep cycle)? Start relay (some call it a solenoid) contact condition. Starter brush and commutator condition?

I highly recommend you get the VOM (volt Ohm meter) out and do some testing before you throw more parts at the problem. Start with what volts you get at the battery and then again when cranking as well as what volts you get at the starter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2019 at 10:35pm
Battery is new last year, also because of this problem. Sometimes I have wondered if the battery is dead when it does it. It’s from a marina in northern MN, I’ll have to look at what it is.

I poked around in the starter and didn’t feel any loose connections but I didn’t take it all apart.

Where is the solenoid?

Loading the boat up a few hours ago, it was warm after a trip to the launch. I turned it off to wait for my trailer. When starting back up I got a click. Several tries at turning the key, no other changes. I pulled the neutral switch out, which required me to better center the throttle lever. Tried to start again, instant turn over and start up. Killed it to try again. Instant start up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2019 at 10:59pm
If what you did (wiggling the shift lever) worked, it seems like it was either just a coincidence or somebody did some creative wiring of your Neutral Safety Switch at some point over the years.

Here's the TRB wiring diagram that shows how the switch is /should be wired into the ignition circuit

Maybe the diagram will help

The solenoid is at the back of the engine above the bellhousing, with a plastic cover over it and the main circuit breaker

Do you have the original starter or has it been replaced with one of the newer smaller PMGR starters?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic