Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 Ski Nautique Steering Cable Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mark_in_Maine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_in_Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 Ski Nautique Steering Cable Replacement
    Posted: September-16-2019 at 1:31pm
Morning CCF Members.   I have a 1987 SN with a 302 Ford that I have owned all its life. For the past 3 summers the steering has gradually become stiff to the point that it now takes two hands and some real muscle to move the steering wheel from side to side. I have emptied my wallet and have purchased the required CC steering cable. I have searched the forums for a "how to" on replacing this particular model steering cable, but I was not successful in finding any specifics. I am hopeful someone would be willing to point me to a thread that covers this topic. I would prefer to replace the cable before I winterize and have the boat shrink wrapped for the long Maine winter.. Many thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 2:21pm
Not very thread worthy... rotary cables get taken out towards the stern and fed back in opposite. Tape a rope to the front end to help pull the new one through. The rest is self explanatory.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 2:23pm
Here's a writeup in the link below on a 95 which would have been a rack and pinion system.

Your's is a rotary cable assuming it's original, but the idea is the same.

I'd pull the rotary cable out from the back and have a long rope tied and taped to the front and when the cable is out, tape the front of the new cable to the back of the rope and pull it forward to get the cable up to the helm.

2 people make it easier, but if you're good, you can do it yourself

Make sure it's not hooked to any wires with tie wraps along the way

There's stuff that won't apply like removing the rack from the helm since you don't have a rack.

link

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 2:29pm
Must have been a special order with a 302 in it

You bought it new, but most all of the Ski Nautiques had 351's or a Chevy small block /big block.

Are you sure it's a 302 ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_in_Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 3:43pm
Keno.

I am very positive its a 302. The other interesting factoid is that the trailer (purchased new with the boat) still has the original tires on it.      

Thanks guys for the assist. I will be taking a shot at the replacement over the next weekend.
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 4:23pm
Just saying........I am looking forward to the next few threads of this discussion from the CC Forum "Squad" ie: ........are you sure it's a 302........original tires on 87 trailer
SRB
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by burban65 burban65 wrote:

Just saying........I am looking forward to the next few threads of this discussion from the CC Forum "Squad" ie: ........are you sure it's a 302........original tires on 87 trailer

I just thought I'd ask.

They do things a "little differently" up there in Maine

And he's down in the southern third of the state

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_in_Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 5:29pm
No question things are done differently in Maine.    
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 6:39pm
Well I know their big spenders up that way,why I've seen them use TWO trees to pull an engine
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2019 at 11:05pm
Mark....our slogan is "pics or it didnt happen" so share a couple pics with us as you do the cable. Would be interested to see this boat.
Dont do much towing do you?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_in_Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 7:24pm
Tackled the job this past weekend. Biggest issue was taking the interior and floor up for access to the cable and then cutting the tie wraps that keep the cable tucked along the starboard stringer. Unthreading and then rethreading the cable in and out of the steering box was a tad tricky, but it made sense once we understood how it was designed to work.

Once we had it disconnected at the helm and the rudder, we simply duct taped an old lobster trap rope to the helm end and pulled the old cable through to the stern. Then reapplied the same duct tape (Maine way) to the same lobster trap rope and pulled the new cable back through. It did help to duct tape the lock nut to form a sort of wedge so that it would slide smoothly through the channel up to the helm. For me it was a 2 person, 4 beer job, although now that I have done it I think it could be a 1 person 6 beer job as well. Just saying.

Image of the old cable about to be pulled out.

Pic of the new cable getting ready to be installed.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 8:01pm
What is that black tube? Bilge blower?

The back of you bilge looked like mine after I pulled up that part of the floor to do mine.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic