Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterzing Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SteveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:02am
I would never place the boat in the water without fully flushing all freeze put.I drain the freeze just like winterizing then run water with 2 barrels at the exhaust to catch the rest. All the freeze is then paced in containers to take to disposal.,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The newer PCM manual in our reference section pictures drain and pour

Do you pour in what the manual tells you to Pete?

Which manual are you looking at specifically?

NO, I DO NOT USE "Prestone" or "Zerox". per the manual. Do you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:41am

The newer PCM manual in our reference section pictures drain and pour

Do you pour in what the manual tells you to Pete?

Which manual are you looking at specifically?

NO, I DO NOT USE "Prestone" or "Zerox". per the manual. Do you?

QUIT YELLING

So you only use and quote parts of the manual that you feel like

Your version of newer is still pretty old too.

In the 70's they said water and automotive antifreeze 50/50

Late 80's they said 50/50 water and food grade antifreeze

93 manual and the 95 thru 01 they said 50/50 water and environmentally safe permanent antifreeze

By the time you get to the 03 manual in the reference section, they're just let's say "non specific" about what to use

SteveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:54am
Ken and Pete, first of all many thanks for your recommendations. If I go with the auto antifreeze route I would flush all out and dispose before placing in the water. Right now my boat has been drained without having fogged the motor. I could either add water through the pump, fog,. empty all the water ports again and fill antifreeze via the thermostat as you both recommended..

Or add the antifreeze mix through the pump (since the engine has been already drained) with the thermostat removed and fog when full of antifreeze mix. Both ways should work. I will take of off the pump for the winter nap and that should be it. Thanks again to both of you!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:01am

Ken,
Please note I refferenced a method and not a material.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:03am
I just use the green stuff- it flushes out ok in about a quarter mile

It only seems to be a problem if a bunch of you go out

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SteveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:33am
OK, Going to Walmart and exchanging the Antifreeze with RV freeze.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by SteveZ SteveZ wrote:

OK, Going to Walmart and exchanging the Antifreeze with RV freeze.

If you're a little nervous about the RV antifreeze, look for minus 75 degree stuff for a little more protection.

And yes, your suck up method described will work
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:47am
[QUOTE=Gary S] I just use the green stuff- it flushes out ok in about a quarter mile

Good thing St Patty's day only comes once a year
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:51am

Ken,
Please note I refferenced a method and not a material.

Like I said before, I'll note that you only use and quote parts of the manual that you feel like,otherwise you wouldn't have been giving Steve crap with the dead fish picture and picking on his suck up method.
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 12:09pm
If someone is doing the suck up method and the motor is cold does the thermostat need to be removed?
SteveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 4:01pm
5 gal of coolant to motor until coming out of thermostat housing. Fogged carb but I hope I got enough in. Didn't realize how fast the motor pumped in 5 gal. Water pump out as well. Couldn't believe how foul that thermostat area was inside. Lots of rust! The only question I have is the oil; cooler/trans cooler unit. The hose on the down side was frozen so I did not undo. There was a small fitting at the bottom which I took out - no fluids came out. I ordered a special tool used to extract hoses. Thanks again and have a great winter. Can't wait to get that boat back in the water.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:21pm
The water side of the cooler is not too strong where the hoses attach so prying with anything may deform the fitting.

The little fitting is a water side drain so if nothing came out it was either drained or plugged

The easiest way to drain the water side of the cooler is to unhook the other end of the hose up at the water pump and lower the hose below cooler level to empty it since the little plug can cause problems if it's stuck and you apply too much force deforming or breaking the cooler end bell.

When you sucked 5 gallons thru the cooler, you made sure it was full of antifreeze
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Crmaverick Crmaverick wrote:

If someone is doing the suck up method and the motor is cold does the thermostat need to be removed?

The popular answer is to take it out, but if the engine is drained first so the water is out, it will fill up when you start it, with some water filling the engine and some going through the exhaust manifolds

Most all those people who pump 5 gallons through their engine have small blocks that hold less coolant than a 454, so if you're thinking of sucking up the pink stuff, I thin I'd go with 7 gallons or so

As far as the thermostat..............."If in doubt, take it out"
SteveZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2019 at 11:03pm
Thanks Ken, I''ll loosen that fitting again since now the motor has a fill of coolant to see if anything comes out. It no fluid then I'll try your lowering the hose method. Next fall I'll be a pro at this! LOL
trice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2019 at 10:15pm
I Bought some CAMCO ARTIC BAN -50 (pink stuff) to pour into my 87 351W. The label says it contains ETHYL ALCOHOL 64-17-5 as well as GLYCOL AND DENATURANTS. The label also says NOT to use it in a automotive radiator or a boat engine?? Is this RV/MARINE antifreeze a suitable replacement for automotive antifreeze or do I need to get some different “pink stuff”? My plan is to pour it full strength (after draining of course) as described in the old PCM Engine Owners Manual, paragraph k, pg.31.
Thanks
87 SN
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2019 at 11:53pm
On the CAMCO website, it shows that the Arctic Ban -50 is not recommended for marine engines. You want the Freeze Ban -50 or the Winter Ban -100.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
trice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 9:19am
Thanks JQ and Keno! Going to get some straight Propylene Glycol “pink stuff” w/inhibitors.
87 SN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by trice trice wrote:

Thanks JQ and Keno! Going to get some straight Propylene Glycol “pink stuff” w/inhibitors.

My post that you thanked me for got deleted.(accidentally by me } but the Freeze Ban has more corrosion inhibitors than the Arctic Ban and is a different composition but both will work.

Good choice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic