NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle
    Posted: September-21-2019 at 1:21pm
I need a differant type of throttle lever and cable for our 1961 cc complete skier. My son is not happy with the one on the steering wheel and I want to do something differant, like on the hull side or a foot pedal.
I been searching Amazon but so far nothing looks like anything would work and look like it would belong on this boat. I see some CC advertised for sale in our classifieds with a foot throttle and that sounds like what I need. We have the original 100hp intercepter engine.
Thanks,
BTW, I stained the decks yesterday and will be doing the varnish Monday. Looking pretty darn good!!
Thomasn
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Thomasn Thomasn wrote:

I need a differant type of throttle lever and cable for our 1961 cc complete skier. My son is not happy with the one on the steering wheel

What's he not happy with? Has he even driven the boat yet? I didn't think you've had it in the water yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I need a differant type of throttle lever and cable for our 1961 cc complete skier. My son is not happy with the one on the steering wheel

What's he not happy with? Has he even driven the boat yet? I didn't think you've had it in the water yet?
Just running it here in the yard, he feels it akward and slow responsive. to bad he could not see all the stuff I was doing with boats 68 years ago, he would be happy if it just GOES, any way I could make it go, LOL.
Thomasn
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 2:47pm
Like Pete says I'd drive it first. Although I would not change it if I had one,foot pedals are no prize either. I had one in my American Skier with the powerful 70 hp Gray Marine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 2:58pm

Just running it here in the yard, he feels it akward and slow responsive. .

Your son needs some behind the helm time. "Unresponsive" is just how fast he can manipulate the throttle and then there's that straight 6 that may not wind up the RPM's like a V8 may!! Like Gary mentioned, the foot throttles are awkward to use in my opinion. Every wave you go over bumps your foot changing the throttle position. There are thousands of boats out there with Sheller wheels with center throttles along with thousands of happy boat owners.

BTW, I thought you wanted to restore this boat??   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 4:03pm
Agreed, and yes I want it as original as possable. I had a foot throttle on a 58 Century that worked fine for me, but we all have other ideas and that is exactly what I am rearching for. The one on the steering is ok by me, and then again we have not run it in a lake yet. But I bet by spring it will be ready. As for original, my biggest deviation is going to be the new wiring of my own creation and switching panel. Adding fuel gauge, blower, auto/manual bilge, battery switch, fume detector, individual light control, panel lights, and onboard water audio alarm . Yup I am pretty sure it will have some leaks at first.
I think If I lube the throttle cable, or replace it, so it is more responsive it would be with no binding the casing. I had the carb completely and professionaly rebuilt and works very good.
And yes Pete, I am trying to keep it original looking as possable, and thanks for all the advice and help.
TF
Thomasn
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 7:12pm

I think If I lube the throttle cable, or replace it, so it is more responsive it would be with no binding the casing.

Yes, do some maintenance on the cable and see what happens. Also, you may have already checked it but make sure the routing of the cable doesn't have any sharp bends in it.

Next, tell your son that these guys don't have any problems with the center throttle ether.

[/IMG]

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 8:53pm
Some vintage throttle trivia:
For those that may be too young or too old to remember here's some info on the Sheller wheels used on so many 40's through 50's boats. The wheel including the column and gear box at the bottom were WWII surplus. Boat builders grabbed them up because they provided an easy and inexpensive way to create a steering system. The gear box steering arm was simply connected to the rudder tiller arm with a length of common threaded pipe running through the bilge. Then there's that lever in the center of the hub. On cars or light trucks of the era, it was the manual means of spark advance. No vacuum or mechanical advance on the basic auto engine so, the boat builders used it for a very convenient throttle. The lever is connected to a small tube that runs down the center of the column. Then via an arm attached to the tube the typical was to connect it to the carb via rods and ball joints Finally there's the horn button in the very center. A wire runs down the center of the throttle tube and connects to the horn circuit (usually a relay) The button in the center when depressed grounds to the column creating the ground source for the relay coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 10:23pm
Did the Coastal Editions at least use galvanized or stainless pipe then?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2019 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Did the Coastal Editions at least use galvanized or stainless pipe then?

Gary,
Next time you get a chance to look into the bilge of a boat with the Sheller setup take a look at the pipe. Note that in most cases that the paint is peeling off because an acid etch primer wasn't used to make it stick to the galvanized pipe!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2019 at 12:07am
OK, I am glad I asked the question and now I just have to agree and keep the original throttle. He will just have to live with it, But I will get under there and take it out and get it moving more smothly and I know you guy know what you are talking about more so than I and thank you all.
I heard the best lubecant for if is regular old antifreeze so I will imerse it in it and see what happens.
Thanks again,
TF

Thomasn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic