NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DUI Distributor problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Peter Gullen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DUI Distributor problems
    Posted: September-25-2019 at 11:52am
My DUI distributor has an intermittent problem that started towards the end of the summer.
After warmed up, i have random loss of power at speed. boat will slow to an idle and cut out. It will eventually start again (takes anything from a few seconds to 10 minutes before it will start) sometimes it will run the rest of the day with no issue, sometimes it will only let me idle back to the dock- if i try and accelerate it cuts out.

The distributor is now around 5 years old, with just over 200 hours on it. Its probably due a cap and rotor, but i don't believe they would be causing these symptoms? I believe it is acting like the coil failing.

I'm in the UK, and any Auto parts sellers I've been to don't know what service items i need as they would need a vehicle to cross reference them to. can anyone give me part numbers for the coil, cap, rotor and module that i would be able to cross reference to? I was of the understanding that any HEI service parts would work, and that i would not need to import OEM parts from DUI?

for instance would this link be suitable? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362631076769

Also are there any tests i can perform on the coil and module to diagnose what is causing the problem? it has been so intermittent i have not been able to test for spark when it is not working.

The engine (Ford 351/ 93 Ski Nautique) is converted to run on LPG. i do not believe it is carb/ fuel tank/ pick up/ pump related. I have a dual LPG tank set up and the problem shows itself when running on either tank.
93 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2019 at 12:01pm
93 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2019 at 12:14pm
Peter,
What makes you feel it's an ignition problem? Maybe fuel related??? have you checked the timing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2019 at 12:38pm
If you still think that the problem is in the D.U.I. unit, you may want to reach out to Performance Distributors (see link below). I've called them a time or 2 and they have been most helpful and attentive.

LINK

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Peter Gullen Peter Gullen wrote:

My DUI distributor has an intermittent problem that started towards the end of the summer.
After warmed up, i have random loss of power at speed. boat will slow to an idle and cut out. It will eventually start again (takes anything from a few seconds to 10 minutes before it will start) sometimes it will run the rest of the day with no issue, sometimes it will only let me idle back to the dock- if i try and accelerate it cuts out.

The distributor is now around 5 years old, with just over 200 hours on it. Its probably due a cap and rotor, but i don't believe they would be causing these symptoms? I believe it is acting like the coil failing.

I'm in the UK, and any Auto parts sellers I've been to don't know what service items i need as they would need a vehicle to cross reference them to. can anyone give me part numbers for the coil, cap, rotor and module that i would be able to cross reference to? I was of the understanding that any HEI service parts would work, and that i would not need to import OEM parts from DUI?

for instance would this link be suitable? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362631076769

Also are there any tests i can perform on the coil and module to diagnose what is causing the problem? it has been so intermittent i have not been able to test for spark when it is not working.

The engine (Ford 351/ 93 Ski Nautique) is converted to run on LPG. i do not believe it is carb/ fuel tank/ pick up/ pump related. I have a dual LPG tank set up and the problem shows itself when running on either tank.

The parts in your Ebay link will interchange with your DUI stuff.

I feel obligated however to warn you that you need a RED cap to keep Jonny completely happy

If you want to have a reference for local parts, use an 86 Chevy K20 pickup with a 350 engine and that will get parts that will fit also. That's one of a bunch of vehicles that could be cross referenced.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2019 at 1:07pm
Here's a troubleshooting article from the DUI people in the link below

link

Second link is basically the same info from the DUI website without the pictures Go to topic 3 on the page that comes up.

link
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2019 at 12:33pm
Thanks for the responses-
Pete, i dont think its fuel, if anything it feels flooded when i try to restart- holding the throttle wide open makes it start sooner after it has cut out.
also we just don't see problems with the LPG systems (there are over 50 boats in the club i belong to running LPG)- there is no pump or even filters that i'm aware of. the LP gas is pressurised, and as i said the problem shows itself on either tank.
I have not checked the timing since i set it when i installed the DUI 5 years ago (to replace my failed protec). I have not had the timing light with me when the problem has shown itself, and i have not bothered to check when the problem is not there as it runs so well (correct perfect pass times at 34mph)
I will carry the light in the boat and be ready next time. i assume if the module is failing i will see an inconsistent timing indicator, but if its the coil, would it just look weak? would i notice at all as it still runs at idle if it hasnt cut out at speed.

Jonny, i will reach out to Performance and see if they can suggest anything, thanks. i had expected they would just want to sell me their replacement parts which are not cheap, especially once international postage and import duty are added.

Keno, thanks for confirming my suspicion that the parts on the ebay link will be compatible- its the only sensibly priced ones I've found. I've ordered a set (With red cap of course!) which will hopefully solve it. if it doesn't it wont hurt to have those parts on hand for spares/ trouble shooting.

Ill also approach the LPG conversion kit manufacturer (Impco) to see if there are any service parts for the mixer/vaporiser

Ill try the trouble shooting on the performance website but i imagine it will test fine unless the problem is showing, which it is never around for long enough!
93 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2019 at 1:51pm
Peter,
Thanks for the update. Regarding the fuel suggestion, I actually forgot you were on LP.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2021 at 4:20pm
Realised I never updated this thread, and as I'm back asking for more help thought i ought to!
It turned out to be related to the LPG system after all, nothing to do with the DUI ignition.
The lpg system requires a flow of hot water, plumbed the same as a heater, to keep the vaporiser from freezing.
If this flow of water stops, it's pretty obvious as the vaporiser gets covered in frost, and the engine cuts out.
However, if the flow of water is restricted, say by some crud obstructing the block drain that the water flow hose is connected to, then the vaporiser can partially freeze, giving the symptoms I was experiencing.
As my boat is mainly used as a slalom tractor, the short busrt down the lake wasnt enough to completely freeze it, and it would thaw while idling at the end.
Next pass would sometimes be ok.
It only became clear when I drove around the lake at WOT for 5 mins,
And completely froze it, which made me check the block drain.
2 min fix had had me scratching my head for weeks.
93 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic