NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Supercharging a 351 Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 7:44am
anything is possible jimbo, this is america,freedom of choice and where your dreams come true especially the one about the chevy
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 8:56am
That is a sweet Century, I would not have thought about putting the turbos between the manifolds and the elbows I like it. Wouldnt do that to a ski nautique, but I like it on the century.

Chris,
    I am considering all options at this point for the 351, from stock and buying a long block to absolutely not stock and completetly a$$embled by hand. Rotation direction, displacement, transmission upgrades they all roll through my mind. Money is not too much of a problem if I do it all myself, although leaving enough for a tower and another set of stereo upgrades would be good.

My main worrys are reliability and keeping gas use somewhat reasonable, I will have 150 hours on the boat this season and it didn't hit the water till mid july and the weather hasn't been good. In a nice summer like last year I peppered 350 hours over the various boats (not including the sailboats, canoes, or jetski).

I keep coming back to trying for a full roller setup, probably because of the week I lost this year to the flat tappet cam failure (even if it was my fault). I just haven't found a way to make that work out for me in reverse rotation.. still researching though...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 9:12am
joey, i almost have this guy talked into selling this 5.8 ho boss engine for around 2500.00 it is a normal rotation engine,
i believe the rating is 285 at 4800,
i keep pushing this engine cause it is a great deal, i talked to dim and they want 3400.00 for the long block alone. this motor has about 215 hours on it.
   if you are interested give me a call

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 9:24am
Jimbo and Joe I would be looking for a 1.23:1 tranny to use with those STD rotation strokers don't have to worry about the lean that way.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 10:02am
Joe the issues of reverse rot. rears its nasty head again.i could not find any rev. rotation roller blanks,flat tappet only,and these are only in 351 W.then you still have the rear seal ,the 1 piece ??????? where do you get one......... boat dr
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 10:08am
Yeah thats why I was asking about engine mounts and bellhousings. Eric I have considered that pro boss as a drop in and run it option, problem is I am not very good at dropping in and running anything. If it can be upgraded for some reason I can't lay off it. I would really like to end up with a RH prop on this one, but a reliable 350 hp could probably convince me to live with the lean.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 10:10am
I think the one piece rear seal shouldn't be too bad to find, at least they werent last year let me talk to a guy or two and see whats left on the shelf...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 10:13am
you can build a stroker for that much money and not have to lean,bullit proof bottom end,with gobs of torque,lottsa options w/351W........... boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 10:32am
definitly can come up with a 1.23    cheeeeeap, just wont feed the kids that week,lol
ron from rons marine has a 1.23 that he will let go cheap or can build you one, actually wait for that 351 on e-bay with a trans on the a$$ end,
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 11:42am
well if I go to a 1:1.23 then I will have two extra BW 1:1s for trading purposes maybe I can use them to offset the cost of the transmission upgrade. Just wondering what the change in angle is going to do to me, anyone out there have a 1989 2001 with a 1.23:1 they can take pictures of?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 11:55am
Joe, what exactly are you looking at? I doubt much changed between the '89 and '90. I believe they even use the same motor box shell to accomodate the invertaflow muffler.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 12:56pm
joe, i have alot of different stuff laying around including mounts, bellhousings etc..
I also will do some horsetrading for the 1.23 for the borg warners, figure out exactly what you want to do first,
   figure out chevy or ford, if i was starting from scratch i would go chevy,(hopefully no feelings hurt) you could easily put a stroked motor together for around 1500.00 to 2000.00. i boght a eagle stroker kit for 699.00 which came balanced with crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings and i believe it came with the harmonic balance. that thing made all kinds of power and torque

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 1:33pm
TRBenj,
    The 89 is essentially the same hull as my 83 and came with the 1.23 so I wouldn't mind seeing motor box clearance, prop shaft length, bell housing type, type and position of mounts, coupling type etc. Some of that would be the same on a 90 but not necessarily. The 83 isn't even my project inboard at the moment so I don't want to get into anything that won't be done and broken in by early may, searching for something unexpected at the last minute would be not good.

Eric I am just in the planning phase probably be another month before I decide and start to order parts and get things machined for an early spring build up, I am in middle of installing a new engine in the jetski right now and the wallet is still a bit warm.

If I went chevy I am on the hook for new rwp and bracket, alternator and bracket, timing cover and circulation pump, exhaust manifolds (might buy something nicer anyway), new starter, new bellhousing, new marine fuel pump, new mounting brackets, flywheel, etc Probably enough parts to make the extra money on the ford parts worth it.

And so it begins
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 2:44pm
Joe, judging from the pics in the diaries, I would say that there should be no difference between the '89 and '90. I seriously doubt CC would have introduced the the new motor/tranny in '89 if they would have had to re-engineer the entire mounting system a year later with the introduction of the new hull. The '89-94 motorboxes all appear to be the same, which is a little different from the 82-88 2001 style. Here are a few pics:

1989:

1990-1991:

If you think it would help, let me know if you want me to take any pics or get any measurements this weekend.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 1:01pm
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 1:08pm
Great find, Larry! Somebody has to grab that. Wonder if it would mate with the Borg Warner transmission? Put an ACME 540 on your boat and enjoy the ride!

Tim B., that engine matches your boat. Go for it!

Ken
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 1:14pm
Geez, only 2 hours on the motor? Prly only been on a dyno, and not even in a boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:00pm
That motor is enormous. Think it would fit under a Nautique motor box?

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:04pm
I previously owned a 2001 Air Nautique with the Python motor in it. It was rated at 425HP and it did move out. Fastest I ever had it was 55mph on the perfect pa$$ speedo.

There is also a new Nautique on my like from time to time that is the supercharged limited edtion that CC relesed and it sounds awsome coming out of the hole.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:18pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] That motor is enormous. Think it would fit under a Nautique motor box?

I'd make it fit!
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:40pm
Tim, you're a handyman. Maybe get a BFN engine cover? We'll get your '90 doing 60+ in no time.

Hey, Hollywood, maybe that's a great solution for your boat. You'd push the 40MPH mark with that big monkey! Matches your color too.

Ken
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:49pm
Hope that little girl stands back if they fire it up...she might get sucked right into the intake.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 2:50pm
Yes it matches my color, no it doesn't match my wallet

Maybe Alan can use it for his BF project if he picks up that one with the small block?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:27pm
there is a supercharged nautique on my like from time to time. Sounds great at idle and coming out of the hole. Almost sounds like a big block.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:33pm
CC did manufacture a nautique with the ford supercharged motor in it. It was at the boat show here in michigan. It was hooked to a ford lightning because that was the only truck Ford made with that motor.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 12:23am
Originally posted by jimbo jimbo wrote:

...and put my St Pauli Girl looking German wife in the observer seat for ballast...

Ha! Does she hold the beer steins in her hands?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 2:36am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Originally posted by jimbo jimbo wrote:

...and put my St Pauli Girl looking German wife in the observer seat for ballast...

Ha! Does she hold the beer steins in her hands?

I'm not sure how to answer that without all you hard-legs flocking over to Lake Dunlap... Other than...
--Her birthday is Nov 2 and all she wants for her birthday each year is to go to Wurstfest She's sad this year because it doesn't start until Nov 3.
--I swore I'd never get married... again...until, we got reacquainted (we went to school together, back in the day) and well, my face is still hurting from laughing.
--No body wants to leave before 3:00 a.m. because they think we might go skinny dipping
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic