NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bayliner "Looks Like A Ski Natique"

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bayliner "Looks Like A Ski Natique"
    Posted: September-19-2006 at 3:47pm
Check this ad out:

Ski boat. 1989 Bayliner Ski Challenger tournament ski boat. True inboard, 351 V-8. Looks like a Ski Natique. Good condition, new floors, carpet, carb, marine battery, and starter. Runs great and pulls better. EZ conversion to wakeboard boat. Come hear it run or I'll take you skiing! Comes with skis, etc. $7,000.00 OBO. Ask for Pete. Call: 352-870-5311 or E-

Why own the real thing when you can pay $7,000 for a Bayliner?
79 Mustang View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 4:45pm
I had to go looking.....did find one.

Not a boat for me.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 6:39pm
This is news to me. Bayliner....ski boat....351 V8 ....true inboard. The pix is hard to tell, but I think what the owner of the boat must have been taking some liberty on, as far as the description "looks like a SN", is the back of the boat. He must think that it looks like the '90-'96 style. Surely, we can spot an imposter.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 6:45pm
you can own the real thing for the same money! or less
"the things you own will start to own you"
Soulscream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soulscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 9:27pm
my bayliner looks just like my air nautique...........when they are 20' under water
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Soulscream Soulscream wrote:

my bayliner looks just like my air nautique...........when they are 20' under water

I once mistakenly got into my bro-in-laws bayliner instead of my super air,then I realized"hey,there's no tower on this boat".That's the only real difference.

Mike
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:19am
I think that's a late 80's, early 90's boat. Sea Ray made one also. They called it Ski Ray. I call it the Ski Ray POS model.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 9:03am
Looks more like an Elan than anything else.

jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 9:33am
Bayliner made a vdrive boat in the 90s. That looked alot better than that ski boat.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 10:54am
should call it "Ski Challenged"
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 11:28am
Is that graffiti on the side of that Bayliner or is that the design? It does look like an Elan. Wonder how good the wake is?

Ken
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 11:38am
Ahh the late eighties "electric pulse" bayliner design theme I know it well, I was working at a summer camp 5-6 years later and we got all our boats through donations so I had my spent a lot of time in decaying bayliners of that era. Learned how to barefoot on a 85hp bayliner capri which was the fastest boat we had (37mph trimmmed all the way up with one guy or two girls in it). What we wouldnt have given for any sort of inboard, even a bayliner.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:02pm
Looks more like a cardiac arrest!

Ken
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:04pm
Are Bayliners any good or are they just disposable boats? I see a lot of them on the water that are relatively new but none more than about 10 years old. One of my friends was talking about buying one. I told him he better take it out with a couple of people in it and ski behind it firstto make sure it will pull him up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:10pm
Which would you rather own?

Sorry, Mike, I don't mean to pick on your favorite boats!

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:15pm
Sorry guys, I shouldn't pick on another brand of boat. A boat is a boat. I know they're cheap to buy and very suspect quality, that's all I know. Mike, I apologize, dude. I know you're eying a 07 with a tower.

Ken
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:34pm
since sea ray bought them the bayliners quality has gone up and sea ray's have gone down, now that only applies to the smaller boats and the large 35' and larger sea ray's are still pretty good but the 20-30' models aren't any better than the rest of the market and a boat is only as good as the guy taking care of it so there are some bayliners that might be pretty cherry but not many.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:46pm
I wasn't aware of that. Sea Ray's have always been decent in my opinion. Guess it's the sign of the times.

Ken
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 12:49pm
had many bad experiences with the searays, 30ft and up, down in the engine rooms on the 630's you could see the sunlight shining through the side of the hull. did alot of warranty work on them and would do training cla$$es at Merrit island and ringhaver cat.
they slap them things together.. literally
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 2:01pm
in the boat US family it goes from cheapest to not cheapest bayliner-maxum-sea ray similar to ford-mercury-lincoln. I have been on a 2003 maxum I would consider a nice family I/O, yes sea rays are not the premium boats they were at one time, bayliners not completely useless if its all you can afford but they require a lot of care to keep them looking good and whether they deserve it or not the reputation for being junk is definitely there and definitely effects resale value.

The eighties was not a good time us boat construction in general, chopper guns were flyin all over the place.... people actually made seats out of wafer board and in some cases particle board, floors in many cases out of uncoated plywood, a couple years uncovered and these boats would turn to mush
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 3:47pm
a few of my friends sware by sea ray's and own them, their's are in pretty good shape and they take care of them, kinda pissed my one buddy off when he sold his older ray to a guy and then saw him or a friend of who bought it a year or two later and they slamed the boat pretty bad called it a POS and my buddy Phil thought it was a gem when he sold it.

Dollar for dollar I would by a Rinker of any size especially the late model boats, quality gauges, good interior materials, huge swim platforms, great prices. Now if I can just talk Dave and Randy into coming out with an inboard model.
delhidream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delhidream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 8:39pm
Grew up skiing behind a bayliner, not to bad of a ski boat if your under 75 lbs. I beleive ours was a 86 model, with a bullet proof, gutless, fuel effeicent, volvo penta. Finally killed it in the mid 90's when the marina did there spring tune up, and forgot to put oil in it. My sister was taking it from the boat ramp to the lift and the motor would quit running, after she let it sit a while it would start back up. She said she figured out if she left it wide open it would run a while longer. Needless to say it didn't make it back to the lift. They must have great starters in them. I still think if your going to be life long boaters like my family, it's probably cheaper to just cough up the dough for a nautique in the first place and do some real skiing.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 12:55pm
There were a number of reasons I went with a nautique. One of them is I figured me and my friends are only going to get fatter. A while back, my friend's dad traded in their open bow, deep vee I/O of some manufacture for a nautique. Before, he have to be concerned about where everybody was sitting and most of the time we were kneeboarding because we had 5 people in the boat and you couldn't get up, even two skies.
Not a problem with the SN. The only people to tell to change sets are the twins that can't seem to remember they can't sit in the love seat when someone is skiing. And a 200-pounder can slalom with a boat load of 200-pounders.

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 2:01pm
I had an 89 Rinker 206 before I got my M17. I sold it on eBay for the same price I bought it for. Of course, I had put a tower on it and rebuilt the stern drive, but it was a solid reliable boat and we skied behind it every day for two summers.

That said, I like my M17 infinitely better. The wake is beautiful, the boat is cla$$ic, and it's fast as a rocket.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 10:25pm
I spent at least 4 hours 3 times this summer working on a Flatliner..... I mean Bayliner Ski Challenger. The owner seemed to like his boat, but I thought the wake was sloppy. It seemed really heavy and didn't handle very well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic