NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chucky’s 1966 Mustang rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
Author
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 11:23am
Wow ,that's a lot of heat when you brazed them. I never used a rose bud tip soldering copper. Whatever works for you. Not being critical, just commenting. If you ever have any questions then don't hesitate to ask. I have a little background in welding, machining and fabricating.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 11:36am
Chucky. I removed swim platform too and filled holes
Looks better without, hold off installing until after your launches
You may like transom without platform
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 8:02pm
I’m torn on the platform. I would really like it to look (close to) proper, for the year it is. A couple of factors include...my wife and kids want the platform (I might as well stop typing here ) and I have considered using it as a way to “haul” a lily pad float. Does anyone here use theirs as storage space?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 8:59pm
I've never used mine to haul anything. For a float, I see no major problem if it's tied off pretty securely, but it's going to flap around pretty good unless the thing has some weight to it.

On the subject of whether to keep it, that's simple for me. If the boat is to just cruise around in now and then, but you'll use another boat for water sports or swimming with the kids, leave it off. If you plan to be out with the family, swimming and pulling people behind it, definitely keep the platform. It's the difference between easy in and out vs. hauling people in and out. No ladder is anywhere as functional, or for that matter fun, as having a platform to stand or sit on.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Chucky Chucky wrote:

I’m torn on the platform. A couple of factors include...my wife and kids want the platform (I might as well stop typing here and I have considered using it as a way to “haul” a lily pad float. Does anyone here use theirs as storage space?

I've done multiple searches both on site and off and can't find the picture. Could anyone find the picture of our late member Pat with that rather large tube in the back of his Mustang. It was at Green Lake I believe at the 2007 reunion. I also remember lots of working over he got from us!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2020 at 10:55pm
I’m just saying looks clean and classic without too
Do not drilling holes until positive
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 8:38am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Chucky Chucky wrote:

I’m torn on the platform. A couple of factors include...my wife and kids want the platform (I might as well stop typing here and I have considered using it as a way to “haul” a lily pad float. Does anyone here use theirs as storage space?

I've done multiple searches both on site and off and can't find the picture. Could anyone find the picture of our late member Pat with that rather large tube in the back of his Mustang. It was at Green Lake I believe at the 2007 reunion. I also remember lots of working over he got from us!

Pete

More information would be helpful

Was this alleged Mustang really a 72 Skier?

Was this tube inside the boat or tied to the ring on the back of the boat?

Might this picture or something like it be what you're looking for?   

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 9:16am
Thanks Ken,
Yes, that's one of the pictures. Then I remember another after he got underway to the sandbar and had to move the tube into the boat. Yes, Pats boat was a Skier.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thanks Ken,
Yes, that's one of the pictures. Then I remember another after he got underway to the sandbar and had to move the tube into the boat. Yes, Pats boat was a Skier.

That's the best I could come up with

The thread with that one is in the link below

Hey, at least you remembered the right year

link

Maybe the Photobucket monster made it disappear

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 11:34am
Doghouse up. Broke down. That is there rescue dingy
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2020 at 11:58pm
I took two weeks off the boat. I needed to do some household chores like...hook up all new kitchen appliances, start working on the lawn, oil change on the daily drivers, etc etc...
Have you seen my hose clamp collection? (Shameless increase of post count)

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2020 at 12:09am
I just started again this week with a bunch of little detail bologna in preparation for wiring. I still need to mount a few components, but that should progress in the coming days. I’m stating publicly that the wiring should start in 2 weeks and should take 2 weeks. That puts me at mid June for the first test run in my driveway. I wonder what my neighbors will think?

Thanks for following along / I hope you all are doing fine / video eventually to be posted....

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2020 at 9:41pm
I drove through what looked like a war zone today, on my way to work. Active fires burning, all 5 gas stations on Snelling Avenue looted and destroyed. Graffiti, garbage, smoke and bummed out regular people looking in disbelief. This entire pandemic (which is turning out to be a complete overreaction IMO) was completely removed from everyone’s thoughts. 10,000+ friggin’ lakes, and I can’t wait to get out on one. I’ve never seen anything like this. Even the homeless people were no where in sight.

But, I did get my evac fan all hooked up! It’s beautiful, I must say. It flows double what the factory fan did. And, it’s all plumbed with real pipe! Not that accordion flex crap. The big deal is, my gas tank fits and will be mounted this weekend and that means the wiring harness is on schedule.

Pandemic? Riots? Looting? The National Guard? Screw that noise, I’m working on the boat.
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2021 at 8:21pm
Ok...not much to say, but thought I’d “check in” for those who were wondering.  You can check out my progress here...

We will find out this spring if the RR 302 spews oil out of the rear main seal.  Happy boating all!

Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2021 at 8:39pm
Had to shut it off after 10 seconds due to oil pressure gauge and sending unit being not compatible with each other.  These parts were not selected by me.  The gauge is Faria and the sender is Puralator.  I ordered the Faria sender today, after troubleshooting.  It sounded amazing...

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2021 at 7:22am
Well, Chucky hasn't posted in a while but a little birdie tells me that he's had the engine running, had a bit of a transmission issue to fix and is on rear main seal #2.

For anybody remembering the seal discussion for his reverse rotating 302 with a one piece rear main seal, he had some choices to make since nobody could help him find and buy a 302 reverse rotation one piece rear main seal without paying a whole bunch of money for a special order seal maybe from somebody's super secret special collection.. Or you can go back and read about the seal problem earlier in this thread

He had in his possession a Felpro teflon one piece seal for a normal rotation 302 with some helix/wick lines in the seal. It was said by Felpro to be directional ( for normal rotation) and some people thought it would leak and some people thought it would work. It didn't have the normal wick/helix lines, but more of a spiral pattern

Some people were right, some weren't Wink

Having removed the transmission for his transmission work, it gave him a chance to figure out why there was a puddle of oil in the bilge under the bellhousing.

I'm really dragging this out here, but you've probably figured out by now that the seal was leaking (or at least you should have).

The only other seal he had was a Felpro one piece rubber seal that had the helix/wick lines sanded off by some fat fingered backyard hack

So that's in the engine now

I'd imagine the same little birdie will let me know how that seal works out.

Maybe it'll work and not leak, maybe it'll spit oil out like a firehose

Whatever the result, it'll get posted here

Good luck Chuck Wink
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2021 at 9:08am
Thanks for the update Mr. Little Birdy!Wink
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2021 at 6:27am
The same little birdie gave another update on Chucky's boat after he straightened out his transmission problem and replaced the rear main seal in his engine with the one that had the wick lines on the seal sanded off to make it a smooth seal that would hopefully work in a Reverse Rotation 302 since it's pretty much impossible to find a one piece seal for that application. (You can read the issues earlier in this same thread)

The "smooth" seal works and the boat is running great for him.

I figure he'll probably let me know if it suddenly starts to leak like a firehose Wink
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2021 at 11:18pm
Sounds like a great outcome!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
  Share Topic