NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust risers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
WakeskateNW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust risers
    Posted: October-23-2019 at 12:35am
Tackling some engine maintenance projects on my '89 this winter, starting with the risers , for obvious reasons.
upon inspection after removal , I noticed the outlet in one riser looks a little different than the other; as it has a big blob at the bottom, my question is this just years of build-up? and do I need to address it? when I pick at it with a screwdriver it seems quite solid compared to the rest of the rust corrosion elsewhere. trying to get a sense of how concerned I should be.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 12:43am
heres what the mating surfaces look like
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 1:05am
How does the matching manifold side look? Are you running in brackish water? I'm thinking it's time to bite the bullet. Maybe you only need new risers but post up a pic of the manifolds
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2019 at 1:42am
I haven't scraped the gasket off the manifolds yet, so tbd. will report back later with some pics. I've never ran in brackish or salt and as far as I know the previous 2 owners haven't either.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 5:59pm
ok heres what the manifolds look like

seem to be in much better shape then the risers.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 8:07pm
Manifolds and risers don't have to see salt water to rust out. I just replaced mine with about 1700 hours of fresh water use. Your risers look about the same as mine did but your manifolds look much better. If it was me I would replace just the risers.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 8:38pm
+1 on the risers Your right Sean but I only mentioned it because he's closer to salt water than you or I.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 9:41pm
new risers it is then! appreciate the feedback, this is all new territory for me.
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 11:01pm
I have two used ones that I keep tripping over in my garage near UW area. Picked them up along with other stuff I needed on CL. I cut the gaskets off and spent 30 sec with a flat file on each. They just need a home before I recycle them. You would need a gasket kit and new hardware. Probably new rubber exhaust hoses since you already have it this far apart. Pm me if interested.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2019 at 11:24pm
Those look good!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic