Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is 50 mph about right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2006 at 1:27am
I tried Comp Cams (and many others) before I got the guy who made mine. None of them could do it. Took me a while to discover the problem. It's not that they can't figure out how to grind it. It's that they don't make the cores.

See my previous post.

It's not a matter of finding someone who will grind it. It's a matter of finding the core. Ask Comp Cams who supplies their cores.

Thomas
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 12:09pm
Anyone have experience with what to expect for top end speeds on a Ski Tique. Mine is a 79 with a 302 Commander, Holley carb, and a few other mods. I do a lot of skiing with the boat and my family is almost always along so I don't get much of a chance to open it up. Two weeks ago we had gla$$ smooth water and I gave it all she had and the stock air guide speedo was smoothly pa$$ing 45mph and my ignition coil cut out. It seemed like the boat was going to hit 50 smoothly but it all stopped when the coil cut out. The Tiques are smaller and lighter any one know what they do?
Work to live, not live to work.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 12:17pm
your still only going to get in the mid 40's with it. Over 35mph the speedo's are not acurate so unless you have a gps the speedo means nothing.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 12:50pm
Ok. When my coil cut out I bought a new coil from a auto perts store for $17.00 and the boat started right up. I noticed after the new coil I seem to have lost a little power. Is there any difference in the performance of different coils?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 1:33pm
depends weather you bought a resistance coil or a non resistor coil. and weather or not you bypa$$ed the ballast resistor and weather or not you have an electronic dist or a conversion kit. Sounds like you didn't get the right coil or ask any questions and a$$umed that all coils are the same, So if all you did is a$$umed then all that did is make an a$$ out of you for a$$uming wrong.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 1:48pm
I think it may be possible to hit 50MPH with a stock Tique. 220hp is a lot for a 16' boat- I know my neighbor's Tique screams. Its just a guess, but the 16'5" hull may be faster than the older 16' Mustang hull since it doesnt have a hook to it.

At the very least, I would think you'd hit 45-48 without a problem.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 3:00pm
Yeh it seems pretty fast. When the speedo is reading 45 it feels a lot faster that when it's reading 35. I think it's accurate around 35 mph because good skiers never complain about the speed I'm towing them at.

79n. as far as the coil it was sunday in a small town near the lake. I took the old one in to the store and the guy gave me this one. He had a lot of experience hot rodding old Ford cars and seemed to know what he was talking about. I was just stoked to have broken down on a sunday morning and an hour later be back on the water.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2006 at 3:48pm
you need to know weather or not the coil you bought has an internal resistor or not, if it does then the voltage is going to be lower and the spark not as good and a lose of power. Did the guy ask you if it had points, a ballast resistor or did he just give you one for a ford 302 car application with an oil filled coil. Marine is not the same as a car and yes some times you can use automotive parts but not all of the time and a oil filled isn't going to last long in a boat.

Coming accros as knowledgable to someone that doesn't know anything can be impressive, But trying to be knowledgable to someone that all ready knows makes that same guy look stupid to the person that is truly knowledgable and unimpressed.

The same way that my speeds never read 50 mph and are lucky the read 45 yet I know for a fact that it is running over 50 mph because I have used a GPS to verify what it is running. Hell I can run mine against my buddie's ba$$ boat and you would thing that mine runs over 60 comparing it to his speedo. Point being if it's not a GPS speed, hand helds don't count, then it really isn't acurate and you can think what you want but your not going as fast as you think you are.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 8:56am
[QUOTE=79nautique]
, hand helds don't count, QUOTE]

Huh?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:16am
hand held GPS signals are slower or don't sample at the same rate for lack of a more technical term. They are more for walking in the woods and navigation not speed and ETA's and way points
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:33am
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

Anyone have experience with what to expect for top end speeds on a Ski Tique. Mine is a 79 with a 302 Commander, Holley carb, and a few other mods. I do a lot of skiing with the boat and my family is almost always along so I don't get much of a chance to open it up. Two weeks ago we had gla$$ smooth water and I gave it all she had and the stock air guide speedo was smoothly pa$$ing 45mph and my ignition coil cut out. It seemed like the boat was going to hit 50 smoothly but it all stopped when the coil cut out. The Tiques are smaller and lighter any one know what they do?

Admittedly, I am only going by a 30 year old speedo, but my Tique (all 1,600 pounds of it) with the chevy 305/230HP/Edelbrock/12x14 is reportedly doing about 52. Sure feels (and sounds) like it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:42am
since the speedo's don't go that high what are you using to verify the 52mph a hand held gps? or a nice quality GPS unit with chart plotting and acurate speed data, or another boat running along side of yours?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 9:53am
I'll have to check top speed on the speedo tonight, I don't recall. Might be 55, but I know its not pegged when reading 52.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 10:11am
oh so your basing it on the speedo on the boat and not a GPS device. Keep telling yourself it's going faster than it is.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 10:18am
Larry,

A Tique with a fresh and strong stock motor can see 50mph I believe and with a couple bolt on performance parts(heads ...intake)...maybe 52mph. You won't really know unless you use a gps! Those Airguide speedos...only are accurate in a range! So..if it's calabrated at 36mph(standard speed for cal)...it will read a tad off at say wakeboard speed 20-24...and can be off as much as 2-4 mph on the top.Anyway...if you are at 50 or higher, the Tique is running damn fast!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 10:19am
That is what I said and I did caveate my remarks by acknowledging it was only by the speedo and I did say "reportedly". Don't know if I could have been any clearer on the fact that it was questionable (but relevant, i.e. refecting my experience, as 79 Tique asked) data.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 10:48am
Not all speedos are created equal. Between 12mph and 47 mph both my airguides and my perfect pa$$ paddle wheel speed all stabilize within a half mile an hour of my gps unit. The only time there is a real difference is in a river with significant current. My jetski speedo however is a well practiced liar, but if it makes my friends happy to think that the 46 they are going is really 52 who am I to tell them different.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 11:06am
I guess reporting speed by use of speedo is not really relevant if fact rather meaningless!And yes I acknowlege that you were not claiming accurate measure of speed...no intention to offend!

I was only stating that a tique can see 50mph (as does my mustang...same hull and wieght)...which is darn good! And that the speedos very quite a bit at the top end...30 year old ones or even a new one(if you could find one).In fact...my 84 MC is dead on with the gps at 36mph...pegs the speedo at 50 (gps reads 45) and I never have heard of one of those boats doing better than 45 mph. That would be 5 mph off at top speed!
stang

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 11:30am
Joe...very true! All of my airguides when calibrated at 36mph...are vary differently at higher speeds...one reads about two mph off...the worse is as much a 5mph.
And it gets even stranger!The MC was reading 2mph too high at 36 and 4 mph(not pinning) to high at top speed...I calibrated it to read correctly at 36...now it pins at top speed!
stang

The Super Air

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 11:32am
Stang, I wasn't barking at you, I posted that response to 79 before your post showed up. I should have left this thread alone. I was just telling 79 Tique my story. I am not into speed and don't really care about it. My son rides at 20, I ski at 32, and foot at 39-40. Anything above that is gravy. In fact I am amused by the folks that talk about dropping all kinds of money on props or other add-ons and say it got them an extra 1-2 mph. Hardly seems worth it to me. However, since I am not one to criticize others on this site, I will say if it makes them happy they should do whatever they please.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 11:55am
Oh...in that case...never mind!
stang

The Super Air

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 12:18pm
   Oh....Nevermind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic