Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lifter (Rocker?) Noise w/ Rebuilt Heads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sam.morrison010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.morrison010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifter (Rocker?) Noise w/ Rebuilt Heads
    Posted: November-03-2019 at 8:48pm
Hi Everyone-

I just had the heads rebuilt on my '73 302 and it's running fine except for some noticeable (what I think is) lifter noise. It ran for about 15 minutes total and wasn't going away. The machine shop noted that the heads had been faced before (to almost the limit) and they did what they could and then recommended a cylinder head shim which I followed. Since they're positive stop hydraulic there isn't any adjustment I can do for lash. When the valves are closed I can slightly move the rockers back and forth across the top of the valve, but it's not egregious.

I'm wondering if I need slightly longer pushrods now (either rockers/ pushrods wore down with the reduced height after the first cylinder head facing) to take that movement away, or if I just need to let it run longer and make sure the lifters are re-primed. I did not replace the lifters. I'm not sure how much play is okay. I found something about seeing how many turns the bolt takes after you can't turn the pushrod by hand until the bolt bottoms out and that fell within spec.

Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:10pm
We did a full rebuild on my brothers 460 a few years ago. All turned out perfect except one lifter kept tapping lightly. Enough so everyone would look at the new engine and wonder what we did wrong.
I isolated it to one lifter making the noise. Pulled that one Rocker arm and took about .003 off the base/fulcrum.   Put it back in and it stayed silent from that moment forward.
This was in a Jet boat that was always running 3,000 to 5,500 RPM, to do anything in a Jet you are running at least 3,000 and it never had an issue with noise again.
Used the grinder in my garage and a micrometer to judge how much we removed.
Eyball only to keep it straight so I know it could have been fixed much more professionally but we never paid any price for this shortcut. Longer pushrods are available if needed.
If this did not work we only needed to buy another $2.00 fulcrum and it would be back to stock.

Bubba fix, yep. But it was quick and done and we never looked back.   Not sure if the 460 and your 302 use the same rocker mount.
My 351W 1978 had adjustable rocker arms on it but I did not have OEM heads on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.morrison010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:23pm
Got it- makes sense. I need to try and isolate which lifter. The ticking was fairly faint as I could only hear it if I was under the exhaust manifold.

I'm also wondering if I didn't let it go long enough to let the oil warm up and get to work- I run a straight 30 (always have, it's what is listed on the valve cover), and the block was around 30 degrees this morning.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:26pm
Well you lost me on the "cylinder head shim" part. How about a picture of one? If you installed the shim why would the adjustment be off if you've "restored" the head thickness? Did you check the lifter preload when you did the installation?
Are you sure it's not an exhaust manifold leak?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:31pm
Probably some good info to know would be,

Did it have the noises before the machine work?

How much did they cut down the heads?

What was your shim thickness? Most are .020 inches

What was the thickness of the new head gaskets?

Are all or most of the lifters making the noise?

Check the link below for some discussion of preload and there's a link in the linked thread to a Ford tech sheet on how to check preload

It sounds like you may not have enough preload and need longer pushrods, like you're thinking

After 15 minutes of running, your lifters are primed (or broken if they're not)

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:36pm
Here's a shim in the link

link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:42pm
Mark - pretty sure the 460 has the later style pedestal rockers which are much different than the old style positive stop ones that he's is using

Pedestal mount rocker-

Positive stop rocker
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.morrison010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:51pm
This is similar to what they gave me.

I just reassembled as is, I did not specifically check lifter preload before reassembling. Like I said, there doesn't appear to be anything egregious but I can slightly slide the rocker back and forth now that I'm specifically looking at it.

It could be an exhaust manifold leak., I did not think of that, and when I was pulling the valve covers off to look at everything I realized the new valve covers are touching the exhaust manifolds. That sure would be easy...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.morrison010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 11:03pm
Replying to KENO's questions:

- No noises before machine work
- It sounds like they weren't able take much off because they felt like it was already near the limit
- Shim was .02
- Head gasket thickness is .049
- It sounds like just a few are making noise

This thread looks very useful. Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.morrison010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2019 at 12:20am
Hi Everyone-

I checked the lifter collapse/ push rod length by tightening down the rocker until the push rod wouldn't spin, and then counted how many turns on the rocker bolt until the rocker bottomed out. They were all within the 1-1.75 turns spec window and afterwards didn't have any rocker play. This makes me think the push rod lengths are good.

I turned the engine over and let the valves open/ close and then checked again, and some would slowly get to the point where there was a distinct difference in rocker play from where they were immediately after I torqued them down, and if I loosened the rocker and tightened it up again the lifter would take up the slack and the play would be gone.

Am I overthinking it and this is normal? Bad lifters? Maybe just need new exhaust manifold gaskets?

Thanks everyone! Very much appreciated. We were able to get out over 50 days this summer and didn't have a single engine issue - which was a complete 180 from the year before
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2019 at 4:13am
Gary, you are correct the 460 had the pedestal with the fulcrum just like your uppper picture.
My 78 351W had what you call positive stop in the lower picture. Mine were converted to adjustable rocker arms which look just like your positive stop but have more threads on the rocker arm studs.
Sam, if you find your noisy lifter add the shim as mentioned, the shim will add a little pre load and your lifer should be quiet as soon as you start the engine.

You can run the engine valve cover off and verify you have it fixed before buttoning it up.
They make tools to keep the oil splash controlled while doing this but I have had good success using cardboard for a one time use. Cut some cardboard about 10" tall and 3' long.
Bend it to fit inside the top of the head, make a rectangle that fits tight giving you full access to the rocker arm nuts from above and oil spill protection below. The 10' of cardboard catches oil splash and feeds it back where it belongs. Protect your carpet as you will get a small amount of spill.
If you get a big leak oil can burn on the exhaust so be smart and use a good splash gaurd.

If you add a shim and the noise is gone right away but comes back after 5 minutes you are in trouble. A cam lobe is going flat.
If you add the shim and that exact lifter refuses to quiet down at all you have a lifter failure, the internal adjustment in the lifter is probably stuck and you might need to replace it.
About 1 in 20 will clear up and start working if you blast high pressure air down the push rod while keeping a lot of pressure on the lifter. Sometimes they stick due to a small particle of some kind inside the lifter body and the air once in a while can free it up. Not likely but like I said, 1 in 20 it works. For the amount of time it takes to test with air, 5 minutes maybe, it might save you removing the intake to replace the lifter.
Lets hope the shim works!   
Or as mentioned, you might have an exhaust leak you are chasing, they sound similar.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2019 at 8:14am
The easiest thing to do right now since you say the manifolds were touching the valve covers would be to check the bolt tightness on the manifolds and if they were loose, tighten them and put your old valve covers back on and run it and see what happens. !5 minutes of run time with a leaky exhaust gasket isn't enough to destroy the gasket.

Or you could pull the manifolds and make sure the gasket surfaces on the heads and manifolds are good and clean and smooth and put new gaskets on.

Since you could only hear it if you were under the manifold, I think there's a good chance it's an exhaust leak like Gary said.

If you think you have loose rocker arms adding rocker arm shims like MrMcD is talking about will make them looser, not exactly what you want to do.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2019 at 12:25pm
Lots of variables at play. Sounds like you didn’t take it back to the basics and measure what your installed lifter preload actually is? I would do this on all rockers. It’s highly likely that shim thickness will vary valve to valve on rebuilt heads. Shimming is SOP on non-adjustable ford Windsor heads when they’re reworked.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2019 at 3:49pm
Thanks for the assist Ken and Tim, Fords, they are unique. My info was wrong.

The shims make up for the head rebuild, head surfacing and maybe a block decking changing the rocker arm configuration from factory spec.

A noisy lifter would need to be tighter.
Maybe it is just a exhaust issue. Maybe the exhaust touching the valve cover keeps it from sealing properly. They should not touch.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic