Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Horror in Zombieland!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horror in Zombieland!
    Posted: November-11-2019 at 5:46pm
Was just watching this movie on a flight and couldn't help but notice the post-apocalyptic BFN tragedy that's unfolded in this scene early on...

EDIT: I stand corrected, clearly a 2001.

1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 6:52pm
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 7:07pm
Looks like Hollywood was hauling another boat
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 8:04pm
That’s why I use a heavy duty crash chain setup from bow eye to trailer, plus heavy duty stern straps.

I saw a slow-speed crash where a poorly secured 19 foot I/O ended up in the tow vehicle’s cargo bed.

It looked kinda like this (just not quite so bad):

It does make one helluva hood ornament...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 8:45pm
Man, those are a couple of nasty wrecks.   I too use the chain and heavy duty straps at the rear, unfortunately after my accident that nearly brought our Nautique in our back window.
If the straps and chain were in place I woud have had zero damage.
I had two rear straps, I think they were rated 900 lbs each, both snapped.
No front chain to anchor to the trailer so the boat came forward, up and over my front guide poles which were very good at ripping into my fiberglass bow. The boat stopped about 12" from the rear window of our car, at least it did not come inside.
It was ugly, not as bad as the photos above but I was not going that fast, wet bunks work like grease and the boat can slide really easy.
The guide poles were straight before this and this boat did not have a scratch in it before this.   The guide poles should be above the boat and originally were only about 15" apart, in this photo the poles are about 3 foot apart, the boat was back on the trailer at this point, we had to go down a boat launch and float it to get back on the trailer.
Only $5600 in damage 5 years ago. 10 MPH crash, can you imagine a 60 MPH crash?

Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 11:04am
Our boat goes for a ride twice a year, once to the launch in the spring and once back home in the fall. We plan to try to make it to a reunion this year and travel with it some, this makes me think I should do a few safety additions. Especially with the two little kids that will be in the backseat of the truck.

Good safety reminder
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 1:43pm
Cant ever be too careful, so I always double check everything to make sure is it safe and correct.

DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I challenge that assertion! Looks like a BFN to me.

My boat lives on the trailer, we tow at least 20 minutes every time we go out. Bow eye has the turnbuckle tightened down and ratchet straps to the swim platform struts in the back corners.

Early 'mod' for 2020 will be to remove the little plastic buckets that shield the eye hooks on the stern so I can hook up directly to those.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Cant ever be too careful, so I always double check everything to make sure is it safe and correct.

Woah stop sharing my secret safe-trailering strategy bro.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

What I see is TOTALLY UNSAFE!!!   Look closely and you will find that there is no cotter pin on the clevis, it could unscrew allowing the chains to drop off! Absolute back yard hack job
.    Home Depot clevis also, not even up to Harbor Freight standards
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

What I see is TOTALLY UNSAFE!!!   Look closely and you will find that there is no cotter pin on the clevis, it could unscrew allowing the chains to drop off! Absolute back yard hack job
.    Home Depot clevis also, not even up to Harbor Freight standards

Probably didn't even grease his muffler bearings. Just being careless.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 2:35pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I challenge that assertion! Looks like a BFN to me.

Nope.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 2:52pm
Where the boat is, not what boat it is is what the point was, so I am not particularly concerned but I thought I would help out here. Tim likes to leave cryptic/non-helpful responses without explanation sometimes, so I will help.

Even if the degree of v-ness of the hull is not real clear, it is one exhaust and has relief pockets, so I am inclined to agree with Tim that its a 2001 vs BFN.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 3:00pm
I'm look forward to the day someone on here owns that boat. There are always the interesting stories of how you ended up with boat #1 or a Cypress Gardens boat, but I want to hear about a Nautique dumpster find or auction at Columbia pictures.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 3:27pm

Home Depot clevis also, not even up to Harbor Freight standards

Duane,
You don't care for Curt products? The Curt pin at the HD is rated at 21,000 lbs. If you what to pull more than that, I highly recommend you make one yourself. Maybe some 4140 would work better?

Curt hitch pin

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 3:40pm
But that Pull Pin comes off with about: 20 lbs of pull.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 3:48pm

Where the boat is, not what boat it is is what the point was, so I am not particularly concerned but I thought I would help out here. Tim likes to leave cryptic/non-helpful responses without explanation sometimes, so I will help.

Even if the degree of v-ness of the hull is not real clear, it is one exhaust and has relief pockets, so I am inclined to agree with Tim that its a 2001 vs BFN.

Ah, good point thanks for actually explaining your reasoning!
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 5:02pm

Look closely and you will find that there is no cotter pin on the clevis, it could unscrew allowing the chains to drop off!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Duane,
You don't care for Curt products? The Curt pin at the HD is rated at 21,000 lbs.

Who said anything about the HITCH pin??? Clevis pins unscrew, hitch pins don't.
In your haste to correct me you failed to read that I was talking about the CLEVIS pin.
Must be getting cold up there as your brain is in low gear
Besides that the whole conversation and picture has been poking fun. Sorry if it went over your head
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2019 at 12:27pm

CCF: "What kind of knot is that, anyway? Is that rope 1/2" or 5/8"?"

I love this discussion.

Also, I think I have to go with the 2001 camp. Specifically, an '89. Graphics near the stern, single exhaust, straight windshield.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic