NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What causes hull porpoising?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 5:13pm
Reid, thanks for the input, I've made some changes to get the weight back to where it belongs, and I'll get a few more lbs out of the ront of the boat this winter. I'm also going to do a tab of some kind, manual or hydraulic. Unfortunately testing will have to wait until spring. On your other topic, YES I would like the boat to run faster! I have the M318 polyhead in her. Where are some areas I can get some HP out of that motor?

Thanks

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 6:07pm
Man I woud love to sit down with you and bill and kick back a few coldies and talk about this subject, hull design/lift ,,,,,if there ever was a GOD on this site ,,,,,,,Mr Burgess is it and you would be a close second if not equal put he has forgot more than.... you know the saying

but you new comers have no clue, Doc don't even try.

go to orlando and check out the 70 something dog and that's as close as you will ever come.

Bill is still the man,

Mr SS   I would love to hear how his season went glad to see you still enjoying these cla$$ic and wish I knew a fraction of what you have forgot over the years. Hopefully I'll make to orlando this year,

somebitch by the time i got done you edited yours, reid, and now i have to go back and start over well not really, Reid what do you think??? could we really get Bill to come over to your place and kick back with his busy schedule and shoot the sh*t over coldies?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 8:11pm
Chris,
Don't know how/when you're dividing your time btwn IN and FL, but I'm planning to stop by and see jbear around Dec 26. I've spoken to Bill Burgess several times on the phone and would love to drain him of some additional knowledge while down. But I only drink coldies once in a while. Once in the morning and quite a while at night.

Gary, While that engine is a fantastic one, you're probably already aware that few of the parts interchange with the later LA engines.
Thus performance mods get in the pocketbook pretty deep. From time to time you see alum intakes on ebay. But the next upgrade would be a camshaft and those aren't available unless you get the existing one re-ground. After market or hi-po heads, not out there. I found a really neat guy and his company in VA (check out Mopar Mecca) which specializes in Polys and other Mopars, but it comes with a price that was up there. He has Poly stroker kits that can take it to 360-380 CI and 300-400 HP. If you were planning to do a rebuild, you could make certain changes like the cam regrind, higher compression pistons, a little head work, an intake, and you wouldn't be talking all that much more than the standard rebuild and get probably to the 275 HP range, but as for simple bolt-ons, you're quite limited. I'm big on the engine because I like originality and it's a neat looking engine with those valve covers and all. (See these below currently from Ebay)I'm game to help you in any way I can.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:07am
79...you are so right. I live right by the ramp, he parks his truck on ramp and blasts across the lake and back in like 30 seconds, drives back on the trailer and goes home, All that is left is the smell of his rocket fuel..

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 9:31pm
Boy now that cav plate is old school.Sure eliminates rudder cavitation I bet.Somebody spent a good deal of time fabbing that.I saw a guy once took a Ranger I/O ba$$boat back to the factory because of hull porpoising.When I next saw the boat I looked under it and I swear it had a wood shingle gla$$ed under each side at the transom line.And the guy loved it.
Course he had trim too.

Munday
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 9:38pm
Mark: Another nice pic from Orlando. I met Mr. Burgess there and really enjoyed talking to him.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skiinxs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiinxs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2006 at 10:36pm
Pretty simple to stop, just need to put the bow down. As has been mentioned, add on tabs, either fixed or adjustable will do the trick, although not the norm. Typically tournament ski boats are fine tuned by adding or decreasing the hook on the bottom. If the boat runs level now, an equal amount of hook on both sides will keep it level while putting the nose down a little. What you really want to find out is how much to add before you actually do the gla$$ work. A really easy quick way to find out how much you need is to add a small bead of silicone sealer on the bottom at the very rear edge on each side. After the silicone drys, run the boat and decide if you need more, less, or if you have it right. (Still porpoising try more, no porpoising, try less until you find just the right amount.) Believe it or not, the bead of silicone will exactly duplicate what an equal amount of hook added with gla$$ will do and is really easy to experiment with until you find the right amount. Once you have it right, measure how much hook you need and add the same amount of gla$$.
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic