Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trading boats saving a buck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevman38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevman38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trading boats saving a buck
    Posted: September-21-2006 at 10:18pm
Hey guy's I'm thinking of selling my 94 Sport TBI , pro boss ,1.23 and getting a 91 ski with a 240 /1.1 . I found a 91 for about 8,500 (good price) A little faded ,but has records and runs well (650 hrs). I have never skied behind a 240/1.1. I've only owned 454's or 310 hp snobs.We mainly wakeboard/barefoot ,but are on the slalom more and more. I guess my question is will the 240/1.1 do the job? I'd really like to sell the 94... pocket 8,000 and still have a good lake tractor. Any Thoughts on the matter ?

Kevin

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 7:48am
I've got the 351 Pro Boss HO, so I cant help you out with the 240hp question. However, there are a ton 240hp CCF owners that could probably answer that question. I like the sound of the trade though.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 8:41am
You'd have no problem with that 240hp/1:1 Nautique. My boat was 240/1.23 and with an Acme prop it would keep up with a new 196 (330HP) out of the hole. A friend of mine has a '94 240/1:1 and it pulls great as well- probably comparable to your Sport. An Acme prop would go a long ways, though.

If the Ski Nautique meets your needs, I wouldnt give it a second thought. You can always add horsepower later!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:00am
How much barefooting do you do? We barefoot mostly and used to wakeboard, hard to find a boat that does both well (hole shot and top end). We run our 240 pretty hard and if we want to get out of the hole with 2 long line deeps, and 3 in the boat it's tough.

Be ready to follow TRbenj's advice once you downgrade and are quickly dissappointed with the lack of power.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:25am
Hollywood, I think youd be impressed with what a 540 alone can do for your boat. My acme made a bigger difference in my boats performance than any other single engine mod.

I dont think there would be a huge difference in performance between the 300HP Sport and 240HP Ski- the Sport has to push 400 lbs and 18" more hull through the water. Id make the switch and not look back.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:28am
ACME 540 will be on the boat for next season Tim.

If I can see 40 (driver, no pa$$engers 1/4 gas) I'll be really impressed.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:39am
Kevin:

All that hard work and frustration finding and fixing your TBI problem and you now want to dump her

My main concern for you going to the '91 is that there is wood in that hull. Wood rots. Your '94 does not have any wood and thus will last much longer (or not need to have the stringers replaced at some point). Also, the SNOBS are wonderul boats that are a bit more unique than the run of the mill SN's (like mine). So, in my book, your SNOB is simply a more versatile boat all around than would be a '91 SN.

I vote you keep what you have.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

ACME 540 will be on the boat for next season Tim.

If I can see 40 (driver, no pa$$engers 1/4 gas) I'll be really impressed.

40 unloaded, or with a barefooter?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 10:01am
Unloaded. Topped @ 38 in the conditions I stated earlier with a MW 13x12, and no faster with a federal 13x13. I can't get over 4200 rpm with either prop.

Can you believe we've pulled 3 footers w/3 in the boat before with tha MW prop? Crazy
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 10:07am
Hollywood sounds to me like you gots some issues under that motor box. My 2001 is not all that effected by weight in the boat 47 with just me, 46 with 10 people.. my engine is different of course but I would say if your not hitting 41-42 with a stock prop somethings off.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 10:12am
I will be doing a compression test after this season, and then probably coming on this board and starting an "engine rebuild" thread this winter.

~970 hours on the ticker
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 11:14am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Hollywood sounds to me like you gots some issues under that motor box. My 2001 is not all that effected by weight in the boat 47 with just me, 46 with 10 people.. my engine is different of course but I would say if your not hitting 41-42 with a stock prop somethings off.

I concur, hopefully we can have this thing fixed up for next year. turns 4200 max, still runs good.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 11:15am
Hollywood, whens the last time you did a tuneup? An engine rebuild shouldnt be necessary unless it was neglected at some point in its life. My well-maintained motor with 1175 hrs looked pretty good when we tore it down this summer. Id play around with adjusting the timing and the carb if I were you- I went from 4200RPM/41MPH to 4400RPM/42-43MPH by doing that when I first got the boat. I added the Acme after that which really woke it up at 4600/43-44MPH.
kevman38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevman38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 11:18am
I know David...whats wrong with me ! I'm very satisfied with my sport , it is very versatile . The 91 just came across my plate a few day's ago and it got me to thinking. Finnish the basement and still have a great boat. A win win for every body.I must admit ,I want the power and no wood construction of the sport. I'll sleep on it some more. The good thing is my perfect pa$$, will work with the 91 as well as other goodies.With the price at 8,500 I do have a little room for some up grades.

Kevin

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by kevman38 kevman38 wrote:

I'm very satisfied with my sport , it is very versatile . The 91 just came across my plate a few day's ago and it got me to thinking.

Cla$$ic case of, the gra$$ is always greener on the other side... I'm sure there are other ways of coming up with some cash to finish the basement.
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 12:20am
kevman,
when I made the change from my 78SN to a 96 sport(both240) I was initially disappointed with the performance. The sport is a versatile boat but needs more than 240HP! Easy enough to fix right? That being said, I gotta think that a standard SN with that 90's hull and a lot less weight, tower, and length, will give you everything you "need" at 240 HP.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic