Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'85 SN Starting Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NottowaySkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NottowaySkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '85 SN Starting Issue
    Posted: November-27-2019 at 11:42am
I have a relatively new Holley Carb on the 351W engine. Have difficulty on initial start. Using ether, it starts. I'm Ok from then on. Boat had sat for multiple years with previous owner. Suggestions??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 11:54am
Sonny,
Is the choke working? Some say they don't do much but I'm one of the others who say it does. Have you checked to see if it's adjusted? The choke plate should be just a crack open when the engine is cold.

Do you pump the throttle? This will cause the accelerator pump to squirt some gas into the engine if it's set correctly.

Since the boat sat for the years, and if it wasn't laid up properly, there's a chance the carb will need some attention.

Ether - I highly recommend against using it. It's a good way to ruin an engine since it washes the oil off the cylinder walls. It's simply a "crutch".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 5:42pm
Some Carbs bleed down when parked. So the Bowls slowly drain into the engine after you shut it off.   If that is the case you are starting with no gas in your carb.   Easy to check, remove your spark arrester off the carb top after the engine has sat at least overnight, maybe for a week, whatever time frame has been causing your starting issue.
While looking into your carb open the throttle all the way and see if you have any squirt of fuel down into the engine from the accelerator pump.   If it is dry you found your problem.
If it squirts great as it should with 2 streams of fuel with each pump of the gas your problem is somewhere else. Only the forward two carb throats will have the accelerator pump jets squirting unless you are running a Double pumper carb which are normally sold for very high performance engines.
You may just be waiting for fuel to fill your bowls.   The ether gives it a quick turn over which cuts down the time to replenish your fuel.

A weak spark can also affect cold starts and ether can fire an engine cold with a weak spark sometimes. A couple more things to ponder. You will figure it out.

EDIT: Bowls now corrected.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

. So the Bowels slowly drain into the engine after you shut it off.

I'm getting older and worry that sometime my bowels might drain down unexpectedly
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 7:17pm
I guess I should have attended school instead of chasing girls?   
Try checking the float Bowls if your bowels are all good.
Hey, at least Spell Check liked the spelling!
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 7:54pm
I'm getting older and worry that sometime my bowels might drain down unexpectedly [/QUOTE]

Now that's funny!
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 1:11pm
Awww, Ken.... Always good for at least a quick chuckle    Well, and occasionally he's full of a lot of other stuff too - sometimes even useful stuff (just kidding Ken. Got to get one in every now and then since the opportunity doesn't present itself too often)

Anyway, in the problem above I don't think anyone has suggested yet to thoroughly clean out your fuel tank. If it sat for many years with fuel in there merely draining and refilling it with fresh may very well not be sufficient to get out all the contaminates and sediment, etc.
I know mine wasn't cleaned well before I bought it and when I flushed mine a couple years ago .you wouldn't believe all the crud that was floating around in there   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 3:00pm
What is your technique? Until that is determined, we have incomplete information

Do you just turn the key with no throttle?

Do you pump before turning the key?

Do you pump while cranking? ( Not very effective)

Setting the preload on the choke is highly dependant on the ambient temperature.
More preload the colder it is. But is you touch the key first, forget about fine adjustments to the choke until everything is stone cold again

If bowls evaporated after some weeks, it can take some cranking until your pumps are effective

Three pumps, crack throttle, crank. it should light off with a couple revolutions.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NottowaySkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 3:42pm
The current starting sequence is to pump throttle 5-6 times. Then attempt to start. This has not been effective. I bought the boat from someone who had not used it for multiple years. I then put a new carburetor on. Same problem. I have not yet taken flame arrester off to visually see if gas is being squirted when I pump the throttle. I am planning to do that next. I am going to ASSUME that I am NOT going to see this. IF this is the case, what should I check next. I am thinking the anti siphon valve back to the gas tank. Agree? What else? Also, once the engine is running, it performs well including accelerating speed. Thank all for their input.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 4:00pm
If your accelerator pumps are working as designed and the bowls are full of fuel you may be flooding it.
Good point above on your gas in the tank, is it fresh or years old? Makes a big difference.
Old gasoline will start turning to a varnish like product that does not burn well and can do damage.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 4:38pm
As usual Gottaski is spot on. Please re-read his post several times until it’s fully understood- it sounds like the issue is with your method and nothing else. Or at least we can’t move on until you fix that first.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NottowaySkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2019 at 10:47pm
I know the start method-I had an '88 SN for 15 years with the same engine and carburetor. I failed to include all the details you have included. My interest is in knowing what to go after if i do NOT see gas squirting in the carb when pumping throttle. I need to verify this is the case but I'm highly suspicious and want to understand possible causes of this. Gas tank has been emptied and refilled with non-ethanol gasoline. However, I did not clean anything. Another clue is it runs fine once initial start albeit difficult.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 8:32am
Originally posted by NottowaySkier NottowaySkier wrote:

I know the start method-I had an '88 SN for 15 years with the same engine and carburetor. I failed to include all the details you have included. My interest is in knowing what to go after if i do NOT see gas squirting in the carb when pumping throttle. I need to verify this is the case but I'm highly suspicious and want to understand possible causes of this. Gas tank has been emptied and refilled with non-ethanol gasoline. However, I did not clean anything. Another clue is it runs fine once initial start albeit difficult.

The accelerator pump would be the obvious first thing to look at, but if it runs fine when it's running the accelerator pump is probably working otherwise you'd have a bog on takeoff or it might even stall on takeoff.

More details might be needed after you do your check

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NottowaySkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 12:03pm
I did not see gas "squirt" when looking in the carb and pumping throttle linkage after it had been sitting for about 2 weeks. I have inspected the anti-siphon valve and it looked fine with the ball moving well and seeming to seat when in the close position. I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump. I then finished winterizing everything, so it will be the spring before I find out if that resolved the issue. Thank all for feedback.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 2:18pm
There are 'check valves' throughout the carb. One in particular is in the passage that delivers fuel to the primary-side 'squirters'.
You could remove the float "bowl" side plug, and verify if there's fuel
If so, it may be a stuck check valve.
The additives in today's fuel can break down in as little as 2 months, The gasoline is ok, the additives cause sticking and gumming of carbs, etc.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2019 at 3:55pm
Sounds like your accelerator pump is fine when you have fuel in the bowl.
So something is allowing your bowl to drain while parked. Time to pick up some gaskets and take the front bowl apart and inspect.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NottowaySkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 11:49pm
I have resolved this issue. I kind of "shot gunned" it by replacing the fuel hose all the way from gas tank to filter/water separator and from filter to the fuel pump. I replaced the anti siphon valve at the fuel tank. I changed out the filter cartridge in the filter/water separator. i removed the gas tank and drained and replaced with new non-ethanol gasoline.   And lastly, I replaced the fuel pump. After evaluating the parts that were replaced, I believe the problem was a back leaking anti siphon valve. After starting it, I did identify a very small fuel leak at the carburetor to intake manifold interface. I tightened the fastener and it was corrected. Thanks to all for your input.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 1:05am
Thanks for posting.
There's so many times when the poster doesn't post the remedy of the problem so the next guy to search the same issue doesn't learn.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic