Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Before I send it to the machine shop...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Before I send it to the machine shop...
    Posted: September-21-2006 at 11:08pm
I was given a complete 1987 Ford 302 that had been pulled from a 20 ft Shamrock that was being repowered.

This will be my winter project, I plan on rebuilding the engine (whether it needs it or not, but I bet it needs it) because I have never done this. I figure it will give me a good education and when all is said and done, I may have something cool I can use in my 78 SkiTique when the day comes...

So, how far down do I need to strip the block so it can be checked for cracks, etc? I am a$$uming something went wrong with this engine, otherwise these people would not be spending the money to repower.

Thanks.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 8:13am
You strip it to the block, nothing left. If you don't then the machine shop will at shop rates. Just make sure anything you plan on reusing or even might reuse is labeled carefully as to what cylinder it came from and what direction it faced. Have fun,
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:46am
be careful on the engine's rotatin too. Most likely it's a std rotation engine. If it came out of a twin engined boat then it might be a reverse rotation motor if it came from the starbard side (pa$$enger) you should be ok just pay attaintion to the pistons and mark them for cyl # and direction so that the rist pin is in the same place. Then again maybe .020 or .030 oversized pistons wouldn't be bad along with a new eagle crank that would generate some power.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:57am
...and if you find that the block is junk, go to your local salvage yard and get another one. Marine and automotive blocks are identical. An engine from the salvage yard that has a spun bearing or other minor problems that prevents the yard from selling as a running motor will go very cheap as well.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 11:04am
69- sounds like a fun winter project!
Strip it all the way down. The machine shop should hot tank the block (clean) and magnaflux it (checks for cracks). It's been a while since I've had this done, memory may be off slightly.open for corrections here guys..
To "mark" your parts, use a number stamp (punch that imprints the #) on rods, etc.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 12:07pm
Strok it! Make it a 331.
If you need to replace some internals like rods or crank anyway, I'd look into it. Add some torque!
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 9:14pm
Thanks guys -

Joe, that is what I thought, but I didn't think about extra costs, thanks for that.
79, it is a RH rotation engine, I will research eagle cranks.
David, I would not have thought about that!
Barracuda, more good advice and my 78 Tique porpoises as well - girlfriend won't sit up front unless she is driving. "Honey, does this boat make me look fat?..."No, but if you don't move up here you better go on a diet."
Jimbo, did a little stroker research and I like the idea. Can anyone recommend a kit?

Thanks again.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2006 at 10:07pm
I havent done a stroker in my boat, but I am looking at AFR heads, and Eagle crank from Brian at ADPerformance.com

Easy going guy, and has a good reputation with the mustang guys.
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 1:29am
Yeah, I've got strokin' on the brain since that 350 chevy came available. Guess I should check to make sure my stringers aren't getting soft!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 10:18am
Jimbo, you wont be dis-appointed, people would swear that i had a big block in the car,
i didnt have but 2k in the motor, i even found a set a fuelie heads .202's spent about 8 hours opening them up, bought a kit out of las -vegas complete for 699.00, used a 780 holley. that thing made power from 4000 to 7800 rpms. I was reading on the ho boss cover that max rpm on it was 4800 for fords on the same cover they listed the chevy at 5200. merc is now building 383's, whats that tell ya
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic