Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Temperature sender unit identification

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temperature sender unit identification
    Posted: December-27-2019 at 2:03am
Can anyone help me identify the temperature sender unit in the photos below? It is the one in my motor, but I haven't been able to figure out if it is the correct PCM unit or not.

Thanks!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2019 at 10:27am
Since you have another thread about your engine running hot when you come down to an idle after running at high speed, are you thinking it may be an indication problem now?

In that thread it sounds more like a cooling issue than an indication issue.

Can't help on the identification but what brand do you have for a temperature gauge on the dash and what's the range of the gauge?

The sending unit has to be compatible with the gauge range, for example a 120 to 240 gauge needs a sending unit that matches that range.

If in doubt about the compatibility of the sender and gauge you can get a sender relatively cheaply to match the gauge.

By the way, I like that finely manicured dirty thumb nail, it looks a lot like mine
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2019 at 2:16pm
Ha, that thumb nail is not mine, but the way things have been going with my boat with other people working on it, I reckon I'm going to have to get my thumb nail looking like that soon!

I'm pretty sure my gauge and sender unit are mismatched. The gauge is (yet another) automotive part. The gauge is centered at 90 deg. Celsius, and that is approximately where my boat was running on the gauge prior to my recent post-FWC conversion overheating issues. But all the gauges on e.g. Nautiqueparts.com appear to be centered at 80 deg. Celsius. As best I can tell (from other posts on the site), that corresponds with the temperature that the motor should be running at with the original RWC thermostat.

Because the motor was keeping a very stable 90 deg.C on the gauge with a RWC thermostat, I have a strong suspicion that I have an OEM sender unit that gives a reading of 80 deg. Celsius in the middle of its range that shows up as 90 deg.C on the automotive gauge. This was also the conclusion from running the motor with another external temp. gauge in a workshop when it was rebuilt recently.

So basically I'm trying to confirm my strong suspicion, hence my wanting to identify what temp sender unit is currently in the motor. Once I know that I'll match the gauge and the sender properly.

P.S. I've factored in the too high reading from the temp. gauge in my overheating issue in my other thread.

Picture of my temp gauge:

1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2019 at 3:22pm
Well, tell whoever that thumb belongs to that I like it

Being an aftermarket Equus brand gauge, there's a good chance that the sending unit is the one that came with the gauge, but since you really don't know, i think you have a couple of choices as far as what to do.

I think the best would be to buy a new gauge and matched sending unit together to take any uncertainty out of the picture

Or you could find a sending unit for a 100 to 280 gauge which is what yours reads if converted to Fahrenheit and maybe still be unsure if they're matched.

I say go for choice #1   

The price isn't terrible for a gauge and matched sending unit. Here in the USA you can find an Equus with a sender included for 30 bucks and go up from there pricewise depending on the brand
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic