NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 Air Tique: Engine work

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1999 Air Tique: Engine work
    Posted: December-31-2019 at 12:40pm
Going to be posting up some stuff about what i did to the motor on the air tique i picked up last summer. As all my projects go, this will take more time than i thought, but i have until April to get it done. My garage is packed full of stuff so i have about 40sq feet of working space which is tough. I also have a 8 month old so i have to take a lot of breaks

I picked up a weiand stealth intake and some gt40p heads. I decided not to change out the cam, and may pick up a DUI distributor in the future. As of now i just want to make sure i didn't turn this engine into a giant paperweight before i put more into it.

I am bad at taking pictures, so they will be sporadic and added in later.

Day 1: Pulled out the motor and trans as one unit. This was a lot easier than pulling car motors. I pulled the 4 bolts from the shaft, and the 8 bolts holding the motor mounts, disconnected the wires/fuel lines/exhaust and out it came. This took me about 4-5 hours taking my time and taking breaks. I didnt take pics, but will when it is going back in. After the motor was out the first thing i did was tear out that catch pan that was sitting under the motor. Working on anything around the motor i would hit my hands on that and i had enough.

Day 2: Next came pulling the manifolds off. There were 4 bolts that basically didn't have a head left on them. The other 12 took some time to slowly tap an allen wrench into them, put a pipe on the wrench and then break them free. Then came these 4.

I got my air cut-off out and started with that, About 10 minutes i realized it wasn't going to work because the guard was getting in the way. Got the air grinder out and about 2 hours later i had made some progress. After that i decided to just take the guard off the cut-off and finish them out. I was left with 4 studs sticking out of the old heads. Even though i wasn't going to be using them, i decided to pull them to see how bad they were. One i could unscrew by hand, the other 3 i put a set of vise grips on and got them out. The manifolds, as with everything on this motor were heavier than i thought they would be. I have to imagine they are 50-60 pounds each, maybe more.

Day 3: Then i pulled the motor mounts, intake, heads, and some front accessories. I decided it sucked working on a motor hanging from a cherry picker so i pulled the trans and picked up an engine stand. That night i brought the intake in the house and set it on the kitchen table. My wife was not happy, but i got away with it. I pulled the tstat housing and carb and made sure everything fit on the new intake. I also let the old drain over night.

Day 4: I began the day off by bringing the set of gt40p heads inside and got them on the kitchen table before my wife got up. A few hours later I got my wife and daughter in the truck and we headed to harbor freight to pick up some drill bits. I am doing this as cheap as possible, so i decided to drill the heads by hand. 20 holes didn't seem like it would be bad. About 4-5 hours later i had them all drilled out. My drill and arms took a serious beating, but it worked out good. I had to step the holes up a 16th at a time. Again, my wife was rather impressed with me doing this on the kitchen table so she left with my CC to run some errands. I got to work where it was warm and she got out of the house for a few hours. I took the heads out to the garage and cleaned them up and test fit them on the block. A couple of the bolts are a little tight, so i didnt get them all perfect, but it is going to, or should, work.

Day 3-5: Grinding rust and paint. I would grind a little at a time of the rust and old paint off. My compressor would wake the baby up and i would get yelled at and have to shut it down. On day 5 i started in the morning and spent about 4 hours grinding and another 2 de-greeseing the engine. I though all the oil had drained, and found it really odd that there was only 3 quarts in the motor. I pulled the drain hose off the pan, then immediately rolled the engine on the stand to get to another side. Turns out all the oil didnt drain and i got about a quart on the garage floor. I started to put some new paint on the engine and t stat housing. I am horrible at painting, but as long as i get it all covered and the rust removed i will be happy.

My vacation is over so i will have a few hours during the week and a few each weekend to work on the motor. I will keep updating as i go. Once the motor is done i need to work on other parts.

-There is a shower that no longer works so i will be removing all of that.
-The heater also doesn't work, but i will be fixing/replacing that
-The blower doesnt work and needs to
-The electrical is iffy at best and needs to be reworked

The more work i do the more i realize how bad this boat was hacked together and neglected. For $2k i am still happy for a boat that floats and runs. I do things on the cheap, but try not to cut every corner possible.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2019 at 1:37pm
Now would be the time to check the cutlass in the strut as well. With the engine out you can pull the shaft out easy rather than pulling the coupling off the shaft. I know in your other posts a roller block was mentioned,with the starter off you could check the casting numbers cast in that area or when you pull the intake you will be able to see if the spider bosses are tapped. My guess being a '99 it will be a roller block
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by brantb brantb wrote:

Day 4: I began the day off by bringing the set of gt40p heads inside and got them on the kitchen table before my wife got up. A few hours later I got my wife and daughter in the truck and we headed to harbor freight to pick up some drill bits. I am doing this as cheap as possible, so i decided to drill the heads by hand. 20 holes didn't seem like it would be bad. About 4-5 hours later i had them all drilled out. My drill and arms took a serious beating, but it worked out good. I had to step the holes up a 16th at a time. Again, my wife was rather impressed with me doing this on the kitchen table so she left with my CC to run some errands. I got to work where it was warm and she got out of the house for a few hours. I took the heads out to the garage and cleaned them up and test fit them on the block. A couple of the bolts are a little tight, so i didnt get them all perfect, but it is going to, or should, work.

I want to see a picture of your kitchen table

Did you really mean to say that you drilled out the heads 1/64th of an inch at a time?

The original 302 holes only had to be drilled out to 17/32 of an inch. From the original size 1/16 just once would have done it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2019 at 4:11pm
Harbor Freight drill press $69.99

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2019 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I know it's probably obvious, but that's the kitchen table model
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:57am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I know it's probably obvious, but that's the kitchen table model

This would have been helpful. And yes, it was a 64th at a time. You would think that it isnt that bad, but when you have nice sharp new bits, they would grab once in a while.

I will get some of the photos off my phone today.

Yesterday it was above freezing for a while so i got another light coat of paint on the block and some accessories. I am going with a red, white, and blue theme. For some reason i thought that would look cool when i was buying everything. Time will tell i guess.
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 11:14am
Here is a bad pic of what i was starting with:

One of the heads on the table. I did think ahead and put down a towel at least.

After a couple light coats. I know i probably should have taped more off, but the majority of the overspray will get wire brushed off.

Me deciding what drill bits i should get:

I really do need to take more photos of this process. Tonight i will grab a couple more and get them up.

Also, checking the cutlass bearing is a great idea. I will have to do some research as to what to actually look for. I know the shaft doesnt have much, if any, play so i would assume it is still good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 11:25am

it was a 64th at a time. You would think that it isnt that bad, but when you have nice sharp new bits, they would grab once in a while.

Grabbing in cast is due to improper sharpening of the bit. You want a zero rake at the cutting edge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 11:30am

Josh,
I don't see a problem drilling them yourself since they are not a precision locator of the head position. I do recommend a drill press and sharpening the drill bit for cast iron.

Here's a picture. Basically the cutting edge is ground to a 0 degree rake. "dulled" See the flat on the cutting edge in the K picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:26pm
Here is what it looks like without the engine. There will be a good amount of work done to clean everything up.

Got a few coats on the t stat housing. I might go over it again but it looks like i got it all covered.

And the manifolds. These are way heavier than i thought they would be. I plan on taking the wire wheel to those and going with blue as well. Not sure though.

Here is the bellhousing. The paint was partially bad so it has a textured finish. I need to go over it with a couple more light coats.

I will get the trans cleaned up eventually and that will be the same red at the t stat housing.

Parts are all over the house, but the majority is contained in the garage. My wife will be happy once it is all back together.
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 11:11am
Question for anyone who can provide some insight after a little backstory.

I put a head on to check the push rods and rockers. From 0 lash all 8 rockers took 1-1.25 turns to get to 20ft-lbs. The lifters took a while to compress and it was actually opening the valves, not adding preload. We went out for dinner and when we got back i checked and the lifters were now compressed and the valves were good. The majority of what i read says .25-1 turn, with most looking for .25-.75.

Put the old heads on assuming these had had been decked. Seller said no, but you never know. Exact same thing with the factory heads, ranging from 1-1.25 turns to get to 20 ft-lbs.

So is this actually fine?
Does the factory just have *************** tolerances?
Do they not really check and just torque the rockers down at the factory?
Are the lifters bad? How do they operate at say 3k rpms when it is taking minutes for them to compress in the garage? Is it that the remaining oil is 20* vs 190* at operating temp?

I am going to check where exactly the rocker is contacting the valve stem. If i can get away with shimming the rockers i will do that if it is needed. Otherwise shorter pushrods i guess which i would prefer not to do.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 12:14pm
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2020 at 3:08am
New Lifters are shipped full of stoddard solvent not oil. They will compress much easier than a used lifter with oil in it. As soon as this engine starts the stoddard solvent will be replaced by engine oil and your lifters will all self adjust as needed.

A hydraulic lifer has about .120 total adjustment built into it.     Assuming your threads are 24 per inch, fine thread you will get about 3 turns total top to bottom of lifter travel from zero lash till the lifter piston is bottomed out.

With Non adjustable lifers you install them and torque them, each one will feel different as you torque them because your cam lobes are all in unique positions. That is normal.
Take them down slow to proper torque and move on.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

With Non adjustable lifers you install them and torque them, each one will feel different as you torque them because your cam lobes are all in unique positions. That is normal.
Take them down slow to proper torque and move on.

Sounds like the shade tree method. Alternatively you could set lifter preload properly using the instructions linked above.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2020 at 9:52am
Brant

You'll probably find that the shadetree method works pretty well with all stock components

Since there's a range of preload like from .020 to .060 inches, you don't need each one exactly the same and the hydraulic lifter compensates for any small differences.

What you described above in your post is what happens with lifters that haven't been bled down before doing the job.

Your stock Ford fulcrum bolts are 5/16-18 so MrMcD's math isn't too accurate in this case. I think he's trying to make a Ford into a Chevy again

Here's an old thread in the link with some discussion

Not knowing anything about the previous history of your heads, it wouldn't hurt to check so you know what you have

link

May be silly of me to ask, but did you put all the lifters back in their original holes so you won't have to worry about killing the cam/lifters if they didn't go back in the same spots?

What thickness head gasket are you using as compared to the original, since that will affect things also?

Since this sounds like a "test fit" did you have the head torqued to 105 ft lbs for these checks?

It's one of those easy but complicated jobs

brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2020 at 10:20am
I checked them last night using the method above. I checked 3 and got between .080-.090 of preload. I laid everything out to make sure the lifters and the pushrods went back where they came from. The measurements i got last night were from the old heads/gaskets, and definitely not torqued down. Maybe 20-30 ft-lbs at best.

Tonight or this weekend i will be bolting the new heads and on going from there to check again. When i did a test fit with the new heads and gaskets I was getting just about the same number or turns, so i would bet within .01 of preload. Again they were not torqued beyond 20 ft-lbs, but if anything that is going to increase it.

I would assume that if the motor was running like this for 500-? hours (meter works most time) that it would be fine, but i also wonder if there were some valves floating a bit. When i checked compression when i bought it it was all around 80 lbs. That seemed low to me, but am not familiar with SBFs. Previous boat was new and had a gm motor and was around 130 if i remember correctly. I know for sure it was above 100.

I will be ordering a shim kit, just debating on .06/.03 or one with .01, .02, .03, .04 shims. I figure if it is very close, I will need between .040 and .050 of shim to get to a good point of the .02-.06 range.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2020 at 7:48pm
Time for more silly questions, but better now than later

80 pounds compression is "not too good" even for someone at 5000 to 6000 feet like you are and the quote below from an earlier post says you're gonna check the bottom end, so did you do anything to figure out why the compression was low before taking things apart? ...........or are you just hoping everything is good and maybe putting together an engine that will still have low compression?

You also mentioned the couple of freeze/core/casting plugs that weren't put in too good, now's a good time to take care of them.

Was that big catch tray catching any oil leaks like maybe from a rear main seal or anything like that? Now would be the time to take care of that too

Plans for the winter:
-pull motor and that damn tray under it
-gt40p heads
-performer or other intake
-cam/lifters, maybe new pushrods
-roller rockers?
-DUI distributor
-check the bottom end and clean everything up

After that fire it up on the hose and make sure everything seems good. Then,
-rebuild/replace carb
-redo wiring
-replace heater
-if time/money allows tear up carpet and sea deck the floor
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Time for more silly questions, but better now than later

80 pounds compression is "not too good" even for someone at 5000 to 6000 feet like you are and the quote below from an earlier post says you're gonna check the bottom end, so did you do anything to figure out why the compression was low before taking things apart? ...........or are you just hoping everything is good and maybe putting together an engine that will still have low compression?

You also mentioned the couple of freeze/core/casting plugs that weren't put in too good, now's a good time to take care of them.

Was that big catch tray catching any oil leaks like maybe from a rear main seal or anything like that? Now would be the time to take care of that too

Plans for the winter:
-pull motor and that damn tray under it
-gt40p heads
-performer or other intake
-cam/lifters, maybe new pushrods
-roller rockers?
-DUI distributor
-check the bottom end and clean everything up

After that fire it up on the hose and make sure everything seems good. Then,
-rebuild/replace carb
-redo wiring
-replace heater
-if time/money allows tear up carpet and sea deck the floor

I took care of the core plugs right away. The tray did have a small amount of oil, but nothing i am concerned about. There is an extension that came off the block that had the oil pressure and oil temp sensor that was loose. I could move it back and forth by hand, and that would account for the amount of oil i found. As for checking the bottom end, the main thing i was concerned with was if the cylinder walls were really beat up. They were not, and overall things looked good to me. If there is something small wrong i wouldnt know, but there was nothing major that jumped out at me.

I got the heads on and torqued and measured preload again with the what is going on there and am right at about .080. I am ordering a shim set today. I should have done it this weekend but i got a horrible stomach bug and was down for a few days. Surprisingly i wasn't thinking about the boat until just now. Guess thats what happens when you are never sure if you are too far from the bathroom at any given point. Once i get that done i will bold up the bellhousing and starter and test the compression on the stand. What should SBFs of this era be at?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2020 at 2:40pm

Once i get that done i will bold up the bellhousing and starter and test the compression on the stand. What should SBFs of this era be at?

If you search here on CCF, you'll see all kinds of numbers from different people, with different gauges, different test conditions like hot or cold, freshly charged battery, throttle wide open or "oops, I forgot that step", freshly oiled up rings/cylinders, different altitudes.

Since you're at 5000 feet, your numbers will be 15 % lower than at sea level, so randomly saying 125 psi at sea level for a reasonably healthy used 20 year old low compression (like 8,3 to 1 or so) engine would translate to about 105 psi. That would be without squirting any oil in the cylinders)

For your condition right now, look for consistency in the readings with about a 10% variation being normal

Whatever you get, somebody will probably tell you it's not good enough, but like you said, it ran decently before you took it apart

Also for your "other condition", once you get to be a certain age, you're always worried that you might be too far from the toilet

PS ................I think I'd have the distributor in place too so the oil pump will work during the cranking
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2020 at 11:22am
Here is where it sits this morning. I just torqued the intake manifold down. I used liberal amount of rtv gasket and got the bolts to around 12 ft-lbs. checked it after an hour and it was still a little soft for me so i went to bed and torqued them all to 22ft-lbs. That is a tedious process with all those bolts and having it slowly work down.

Valve covers are just resting to keep out dust and the carb is just sitting there, but it is coming together. WIsh I had a hook for someone who could powdercoat and had a industrial sandblaster.

Disclaimer: Garage is full of junk, ignore the background
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2020 at 7:14pm
If you are in the middle of a project and your garage is spotless, you probably aren’t doing much.
'92 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic