Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paint

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
southtrust1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southtrust1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint
    Posted: January-01-2020 at 8:58pm
This question is for anyone that can help me find the correct answer. What is the best topcoat paint to use when restoring your boat. ...1979 ski nautique.
southtrust1
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 9:13pm
That’s a loaded question If your restoring it then it must be gel coated not painted. The definition of restoration is making it like it just was built. Some other branded boats are painted from new with things like Awlgrip or imron but some are not for under water line use. What are you trying to cover up ? Gelcoat can be made to look like new if it’s just dull. Got pictures?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southtrust1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 9:21pm
Thanks Gary.   

My plan is to paint over the gel coat. I've looked at the 2-part polyurethane by Awlgrip, but they don't have the color I want. I found my color in a Durabak Marine smooth polyurethane...but, I'm not sure if that's a good paint?

southtrust1
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 9:23pm
Yes, we'd love to see some pictures so we can get a better idea of the gel condition. I totally agree with Gary.- Restore the original gel or regel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by southtrust1 southtrust1 wrote:

Thanks Gary.   

My plan is to paint over the gel coat.

Why paint?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southtrust1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 9:45pm
The primary reason for my thinking paint rather than gel coat is I'm doing a complete color change. The boat's gel coat is white and I'd like to change the color of the boat to an olive green. This will be my first rodeo with painting or gel coating a boat, so I'm researching thoroughly and open to any advice.

I don't have the boat in my possession yet...going to get it next weekend. So, my pics are limited to what I've been given. I'll attach one as soon as I figure out how? ...this is also my first day as a member of this forum.
southtrust1
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:09pm
Charles,
I'd say the majority of our members are into restoration so the advice for a good top coat many be limited. Research the brands as many can be used below the waterline and some if the boat doesn't stay in the water for extended periods of time.

Are you just purchasing the 79? What's the overall condition? Have the stringers been checked or better yet replaced? If not, I'd be concerned with them on a 79.

BTW, one term many use for changes made that aren't original from the factory, call the changes "restomods"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:18pm
Charles,
Since you want to change the color, have you considered regelling with the green color?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southtrust1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:34pm
Yes, I'm just purchasing the '79. The stringers and deck have been replaced in the past 2 years and new carpet. I didn't ask about the upholstery bc I'm changing it anyway. The engine cranks, runs, and is original...but hasn't been under load in 6 years. I'm entering into the project expecting to replace the entire drive train...so nothing will surprise me. The current owner started the project and made it through the stringer and deck repair. He said he just lost the desire to continue and bought himself a new boat. While a price has been agreed on, the final sell is still contingent on a satisfactory inspection by me when I pick it up. Of course, I'm going to do my best to verify the stringers, deck, plumbing, etc., were actually done. .

That said, I just found pigments for gel coat at totalboat.com I could mix the pigments and get to the Olive green I'm looking for...I'd rather gel coat than paint too.

So my next question is what's the best way to remove the old gel coat?       
southtrust1
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:34pm
Well welcome to the site. Here is a well known boat here that has it original gel in the color I think you might like-

Does not mean much but I have never heard of Durabak Marine polyurethane paint. What homework you will have to do are questions like - Can it be color sanded and polished and when to smooth it or fix mistakes- Can it be blended and repaired in case of damage- Are the fumes during application and curing dangerous- How is it applied,roll and tip or spray-Do you have the tools to spray and a place to do it. I Imron'ed a 20 footer and found out when I did a hatch first that bugs were attracted to it like a magnet. Ended making the whole project that much harder. This picture shows the hull done and taped off to do the deck

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southtrust1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:39pm
That is exactly the green I'm looking for! I've not been able to find pigments for gel coat that match...so I decided to paint. However, I just now found pigments on totalboat.com and can mix the gel coat pigments to obtain the olive green I'm looking for. Unless, you know where I can find the gel coat already mixed as olive green? ...I'm going to gel coat.

Thanks
southtrust1
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:40pm
Charles,
When you go for the boat, ask for pictures of the stringer job as well as details like layup schedule, cloth used and resin used etc.

Do you know if the owner/boat are CCfan'rs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southtrust1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:41pm
That's a beautiful boat!
southtrust1
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:49pm
Minicraft of Florida will have what you need. I happen to have their color chart,they have 10 greens. With an off the shelf color the chances of matching it at a later would be better than you mixing your own as well. Their new web site does not have alot of info though. Do you have any experience spray painting or auto body work?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southtrust1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 10:53pm
I don't know if he is a CCfan, but I will ask...made notes to ask about pictures, the layup schedule, and material used. Thanks for your help...it helps to know what questions to ask.   
southtrust1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southtrust1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2020 at 11:01pm
I've sprayed the interior and exterior of houses, but never any kind of automobile or watercraft. I do plan on spraying the boat. I've been researching paint sprayers for polyurethane paints...now I'll have to look for one that is made for gel coating. Any suggestions?   I'll visit Minicraft of Florida's website and see if I can order a color chart from them. I agree, it would be much better to purchase the gel coat pre-colored rather than try and mix it myself.   
southtrust1
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 12:34am
Well your not a complete novice then. Here is the gun I have used on gel and it turned out it sprays Imron as well- ES G860 gun . Don't remember what I paid, but ebay has them for 130
Nice thing about gel is if you get a run,after it hardens you can sand and polish it. You might have to sand and polish anyway depending on how it turns out. Check out Duratec Clear High Gloss Additive it will help.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 10:56am
Welcome. Nice boat. Glad your here and found site. You have fun project and will have a lot of fun here. Your lucky guy
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 3:02pm
When I sprayed Gel I used a pressurised can, not a gravity feed. I did this because the gel coat is kind of thick.   This worked well, but does leave a lot of orange peel finish that has to be sanded. I used an orbital sander with wet paper. After using finer and finer paper I went to compound and then polish. The results were like a factory job.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic