NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heater options

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater options
    Posted: February-25-2020 at 1:20am
Hey folks, now that I'm back in the game, what's the latest on heater recommendations? This for an SN. Has anyone gone to the electric units, and if so, is an ALT/BATT upgrade required, or will stock do it? Or is the traditional plumbed unit preferred? Ideally, I'd have a big enough unit to run a hose to the rear seat in addition to observer and driver....Thanks, Ultra...
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2020 at 11:31pm
I'd be curious if anyone's had luck with an electric unit in an SN. I've had a few boats with the standard hot-water heaters and they're hard to beat. Get a 3- or 4-port unit and just run a hose to the back when needed. I had that setup in my old Supra and it worked great, although the air isn't as hot by the time it gets to the back seat - still better than nothing.

I'd also recommend a y-pipe near the water pump for the return line, it really helps with heat output at idle. If you don't know what I mean, it's a part that Heater Craft sells for that exact purpose.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2020 at 11:42pm
I think you'd have to upgrade the alternator they are only around 55 amps. That Y adapter made all the difference in my setup though,well worth it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2020 at 7:39pm
To get 5000 btu at 12 volts would require a minimum of 125 amps.   5000 btu is about what one of those small portable room heaters puts out. From my experience, 5000 btu is probably half or less of what a hot water heater would provide. It would take a 200 amp or larger alternator to operate this along with the other electrical needs.   Doable but not practical.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2020 at 9:50pm
Definitely go with the plumbed hot water, and I"ll be 3rd to say do the Y pipe. Simple plumbing, no harm and no load on any engine component beyond the electricity to run the blower. Really one of the best upgrades I did on my boat, love having the heat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 8:59am
You can make your own y-pipe FYI. Just a tee with a restriction on the return.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 7:11pm
The Timmy Tee gets re-purposed.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 10:17pm
I'm considering the 300 series so as to have an additional outlet to pipe some warm air to the back. Anyone have a mid-90's vintage SN like mine that you can post a pic of your installation?

Thanks,

Mark
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2020 at 12:23am
I believe I bought the 300, it's a 3 outlet. I don't know the difference under the foot pad between my '98 Sport and a Ski, it was a very tight fit. I had to play around with positions and hose runs to make it fit. I have 2 of the retractable hoses, and one fixed vent at the driver's feet.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2020 at 11:02am
Yep, 3-outlet. I'm wondering if under the observer couch would work, toward boat=center...I'd have to fabricate some openings in the couch base for hoses and to drop one at the drivers seat. Having the floor cooler and battery box there doesn't help vs. the Sport's layout on the floor for hoses and such...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2020 at 1:35pm
I know 3 retractable hoses are nice to have, but I was glad I took one outlet and just made it a fixed vent at the driver's feet. Then the one hose can warm the driver or person in the middle jump seat, 2nd hose to the person in the passenger seat. I briefly thought about running a vent to the back seat, but nobody is back there when we are skiing so didn't seem worth the effort.

So if you do the observer seat base you need to leave enough flex to be able to lift the seat for storage, right? Not sure how that would look, am wondering if going to the port gunwale is an option.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I know 3 retractable hoses are nice to have, but I was glad I took one outlet and just made it a fixed vent at the driver's feet. Then the one hose can warm the driver or person in the middle jump seat, 2nd hose to the person in the passenger seat. I briefly thought about running a vent to the back seat, but nobody is back there when we are skiing so didn't seem worth the effort.

So if you do the observer seat base you need to leave enough flex to be able to lift the seat for storage, right? Not sure how that would look, am wondering if going to the port gunwale is an option.

Yeah, under the couch, as much room as there is, wouldn't be ideal for several reasons. Behind the drivers foot plate looks like a reasonable location...not much room to work, but this person did a nice job. I'd have to make a modification for the larger 300 series, but likely doable...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic