Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tico8787 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tico8787 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help
    Posted: March-21-2020 at 2:16pm
I have a 1979 fish nautique with a 454 and a Borg Warner velvet drive transmission with a starter that comes in from the rear.. I replace my engine with a Gen 5 that had a flywheel on it already. I hook everything up but now my starter shaft is not long enough to hit the flywheel.. require a different starter? Or maybe the wrong flywheel?
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 2:36pm
The tooth ring needs to be moved towards the back of the flywheel for a top mount starter.
Never personally done it but i know people have used the oven to heat up the tooth ring to move it, but t can sometimes need machining.

Do a search over on offshoreonly.com (wealth of marine motorhead info)
Transmisson-speedmaster boats use the same flywheel/top mount starter as direct drve inboards across all generations of big block chevy.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 4:04pm
Or you could do a google search such as correct craft fan chevy flywheels and come up with something that has recently been discussed.....   
link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 4:25pm
Tico

Like wayoutthere said, most likely all you have to do is move the ring gear from the front of the flywheel to the back of the flywheel.

If you look in the hole where the starter mounts and the ring gear is toward the front, then you need to remount it on the back.

Down below are some pictures I took the other day for a different thread showing an earlier 454 flywheel with the gear on the back and the same gear on the front. Your later one should accept the gear on the front or back like the earlier one.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Glad to help

Here are some pictures I took today

Gear on the back

Gear removed

Gear on the front

As you can see the raised section isn't centered between the front and the rear, but it doesn't matter. The gear butts up against it when installed from either side and the gear is correctly located for either starter setup.

Front bottom mount starter needs the gear on the front and rear top mount starter needs the gear on the back

Also the 2 gears mentioned previously are the same dimensions as this gear is so they'll fit in either spot just like this one   

You can remove the gear and remount it with the tools in the picture below. Pretty much basic caveman tools.........a hammer, a punch and something to make some heat, in this case it was a Mapp Gas torch. and a block of wood about 11 inches long to set the flywheel on. Also a pair of gloves and safety glasses, but they were camera shy

If you heat the ring gear in a smooth circular motion for about 3 minutes with the flywheel on the wooden block, then use the hammer and punch you'll be able to knock it off without much trouble.

After that, flip the flywheel over, set the ring gear on it and heat the gear for about 3 minutes again and you can drive it back on with the hammer and punch till it's butted up against the raised center section and you'll be set up for your rear top mount starter. You don't need the wood when installing the ring gear, just have the flywheel face down on the garage floor

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Or you could do a google search such as correct craft fan chevy flywheels and come up with something that has recently been discussed.....   
link

Damn you Gary I'm a little slow today

I would have had my post done before yours but it took me at least a half hour to write it (and add a little info)
tico8787 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tico8787 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2020 at 4:37pm
As always you guys rock. Thank you so much stay safe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic