NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Filing the rudder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
schultz227 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filing the rudder
    Posted: March-26-2020 at 6:26pm
If the boat is set up with the steering stiff to the right and I want to be able to turn the wheel freely. Which sided the rudder and, top or bottom ? Should I “tune”
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2020 at 7:31pm
Here's some reading in the link below

link

By the way, it would be nice to update your vibration/flywheel issue from last year   Here's a link to make it easy to update

link to old thread
schultz227 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2020 at 4:58pm
Yeah sorry, I’m terrible at finding information by searching the forums. I put in key words or whatever and it just gives me random posts
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2020 at 9:21pm
Good update to the other thread

Maybe the reading in the link told you something in one thread or another about rudder tuning.

If not...........ask away

Turning hard to the right and a lot easier to the left comes with having a RH rotation prop and you'll probably never tune that out with rudder filing.

It's mostly for affecting the effort required to keep the boat going in a straight line

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2020 at 9:53pm
If you tune to neutral with skier the boat will constantly drift side to side and when unloaded you’ll get vibration up the steering system to the helm. Both cases are quite annoying. I far prefer a slightly loaded steering system.
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 2:56am
I’ve never heard of filing to make it neutral, but I understand why you’d want to. For river cruising, that constant fight is annoying. There is an argument that it increases safety, but I don’t know how much I agree. That said, It is very common to add load, for skiing the slalom course. Constant load means very slight movements are all that is necessary, as any movement effects boat path. Neutral gives you free-play, and makes it harder to keep a straight path.
That’s why the tunable rudder started in 99. It made the Ski Nautique easier to handle, not that the TSC hull was at all hard to drive. I’m going to get my 4th TSC hulled 196 tomorrow, so it’s my favorite of all time.
A lot more of skiers with the pre 99 196’s have ground the rudder to get that loaded feeling.
02 SN 196 TSC2 ZO
01 SN 196 TSC1
98 SN 196 TSC1
97 SN 196 TSC1
93 SN 196 NWZ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic