NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Splash

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Splash
    Posted: March-26-2020 at 10:29pm
Put the sport in today. Tique going in on Saturday. Social distancing with boats and a beer or four on badin this weekend. 83 degrees and sunny. Earliest I can remember. And I know that greg never takes his boats out. NC in winter to northerners is like FL in the winter to us from NC.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 7:15pm
Mid to upper 80s in NC this weekend, so definitely good weekend for first splash, so I did too. Sadly, between gale force winds and nobody wanting to come out and play, no first of season pulls. Lake looked like 4th of July yesterday.

So while I was thinking about it. When I posted about new 176 last spring, folks asked for pictures, which I never got around to posting. So I took some today.

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 7:26pm
Looks like a brand new one
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 8:19pm
Nice rig Larry.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 12:34am
That is an awfully nice looking boat Larry. Did you do the rudder upgrade? Good to see you got the sailboat out of there as well   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 8:08am
Very nice Larry. The 176 has been and always will be my favorite.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 5:59pm
Real clean, great looking boat, Larry!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 6:36pm
Nice boat Larry, they really are sharp looking hulls.

Though it may or may not be legal to ski without an observer depending on where you are, that might be the way to go and maintain social distancing. Definitely not as much fun as having a small gang in the boat though.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 7:21pm
Nice looking 176
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 11:45am
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Looks like a brand new one

It is in very good shape. Had the benefit of being unused, sitting in a barn for something like 8 years, as it was tied up in an estate. It had 188 hours on it when we got it. Purchase was agreed to before seeing the boat, based on the reputation of the rebuilder and about 100 pictures sent as the restoration proceeded. You know how pictures always make a boat look a little better than it really is? Not this time. We got to the ramp for the test drive before Zach. When he pulled in, my ski buddy and I saw the boat and thought holy crap, that looks better in real life than in the pictures.

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Nice rig Larry.

Yes it is. Overhauled and prepped by one of the best in the business.

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That is an awfully nice looking boat Larry. Did you do the rudder upgrade? Good to see you got the sailboat out of there as well   

I did not do the rudder upgrade. I actually have no issues with the stainless. Seems to perform just fine with that. I do have an 11A ready to go in if I am ever compelled to see if there is much difference. ( I think I will start a separate thread with the rest of the rudder story - just for grins since most people know the general gist of it, but it is still fuzzy)

After sitting in the yard for 2 years, waiting for me to get around to trying to patch a leak one more time, I cut the sailboat up into bite size (dumpster size) pieces and took it to the dump) The autopsy once apart revealed the leak up in the center board slot. No way to get to it. I had deduced that when trying to repair, but this confirmed it.

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Real clean, great looking boat, Larry!

Thanks Bruce. We are really enjoying it. It is perfect for our purposes. Tell Dave that nasty loping idle he experienced when driving it last fall is gone. Needed a little carb attention.   (Note: not an oversight by the rebuilder. It ran fine for him and for my test drive. But an hour or two into it, after delivery it started loping. Maybe this crappy NC gas. But all is good now.)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

After sitting in the yard for 2 years, waiting for me to get around to trying to patch a leak one more time, I cut the sailboat up into bite size (dumpster size) pieces and took it to the dump) The autopsy once apart revealed the leak up in the center board slot. No way to get to it. I had deduced that when trying to repair, but this confirmed it.

Pretty typical issue, install a porthole on the deck adjacent to the slot and repair from the inside _
Sometimes you need a port on each side, on a sunfish usually an 8 inch port in front of the board slot allows reasonable access to all centerboard slot for repairs and the ability switch out many of the commonly striped out deck screws to through bolts with washers and nuts. If you ever have sailboat issues give your boy in ny a call.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 12:44pm
I had a Laser with same center board slot crack.

I think I cause it by standing on deck when it was on a trailer.

Never did repair it, sold as is.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 12:50pm
Well now there's an idea. NUTS! I should have come here with my problem years ago. I was close. When the leak was manageable (I left the boat in the water) I did install an inspection plate to facilitate pumping out the hull (when it would be too heavy to drag up onto shore to use the drain) I did save sail, center board, rudder in case I ever find a hull on the cheap. (or maybe a hull with a leaky slot) Seems to me seeing an old mossy hull in someone's back yard is not that rare an occurrence) Your approach never occurred to me. I did some homework at the time and found all sorts of guidance on splitting deck from hull, not completely since they are fused together internally, but enough to bend it up and gain access, but that was a crazy task, so I never went that direction. Never saw reference to your approach.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 2:38pm
Great looking 176, if I am reading correctly it was just rebuilt? With 180 hours why? or is it 180 hours after rebuild?   The boat looks fantastic, could be brand new.
Reminds me of a nice 1995 I bought 6 years ago with 99 original hours.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 3:04pm
Here's the story best as I know it. It was run from 96 to about 04 +/-. Run lightly as it only had 184 hours on it and was in great clean shape. There are a couple small vinyl issues, but the boat is 25 years old, so expected. Owner died, no will, Tied up in the courts for years. Sat in a barn or garage. Finally released and bought a couple years ago. Since the engine sat so long without being pickled in any way, it had locked up. Buyer tore it down and found it to be rusted up inside. After tinkering with it for a while, gave up and put it up for sale, as is. Zach picked it up. Tore down and rebuilt engine, plus took care of some other mechanical issues that needed attention, brought the hull up to show room condition and tuned up the trailer. I got wind of the project through another member here and like I said above, a deal was struck before the engine was even back in it. Zach put about 4 hours on it getting it dialed in so I got it with 188. Currently 235.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 3:33pm
I skied behind a 176 in Winter Haven in 97 that had a got 40 engine, what a beast! It had the strongest hole shot I ever experienced. Out of the water in 50 milliseconds! Small wake but a bit harsher than my 97 SN was at the time. Great boat for your small lake. Drives like a go kart, very nimble.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 3:36pm
The perfect storm. Nice rig.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 6:22pm
Good summery Larry. I believe the brother of the deceased acquired the boat and did not have any interest in using it hence sitting for a long period of time. It had antifreeze it in when I got it.

It was a .040 overbore but everything besides the cylinders was the cleanest engine I have ever pulled apart. The cast iron was so grey still without any hint of oil discoloration you normally see.

Nothing special inside. Stock Cam/Cast good quality pistons and rings. Heads completely gone through. Tried some new King bearings in it (very nice looking pieces) and the tolerances ended up exactly where I would want them to be running thicker 40 or 50W oil. Fords are typically very tight tolerances.

It's got a honey of a block too. Factory roller with factory in pan windage tray. Not even a hint of blow by on first break in so the thing sealed up almost immediately. I think its running about 44.5 mph correct? It's a non HO motor set up stock other than the .040 overbore. Felpro marine gaskets throughout.

The boat turned out beautiful only needing a quick buff and has a sweet matching factory Ramlin under it. I think my brother still has remorse over not keeping it and selling his 89.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 6:33pm
It took 40 to clean it up Zach ? King bearings something to check into then ? Which series?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 6:40pm
Yeah, one hole was pretty rusty. Must have been the one with the valve parked open. The guy tried cleaning it up himself which probably made it worse.

I like what I see from the Kings and the engine guy loves them. I will have to check notes but I think we just used the standard bi metal they offer.

I have always used the tri metal Clevite 77s with good luck but I really haven't ever seen any evidence of bi metal aluminum not being up to the task in a stockish engine.

One neat thing about King, they offer many different options of bi metal and tri metal based on different needs for the applications. I will be using them again on the next build and giving some of the other bi metal lines a shot.

Typically with most bearing guys, bi metal is what it is and so is tri metal until you get into the super racy stuff. These guys give you options of each to custom suit your needs. I think Dave Hart ended up with Kings in his 81 motor as well.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 8:22pm
Thanks I will look into them,I have seen them didn't know what they were. On their web site they actually have Ford marine listed. I need them for the 40 I'm putting together,it cleaned up at 20, mains and crank are still standard.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 11:09pm
I can't share any current information on King but I sold Federal Mogul bearings against them for around 20 years.   
King is an Israel built engine bearing. They bought some old FM equipment years ago and started making bearings.   In the 90's our engineers told us the bearings King was building were similar to bearings FM made in the 70's. Not bad stuff just not as good as current product.
King's strength was building every odd size that other companies chose not to build.
King was always about 60% the cost of FM or Clevite bearings. Another competitor ACL also chased FM and Clevite and was about 80% the cost of FM and Clevite.
FM and Clevite competed for the OEM business in most cases back then.

I am not saying the King bearings will fail in your boat, I think they will be just fine.   I do think the FM engineering offers a lot more protection for long life and since bearings are the heart of the engine that is not where I would choose to save cost. And I do not work for them any more, I do believe in the product.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 10:54am

. I think Dave Hart ended up with Kings in his 81 motor as well.

Engine builder spec'd Kings for the rods and Clevites for the mains. Don't know why he spec's 2 different brands. Possibly could have been availability of the Kings.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 1:34pm
Main's and rods are very different. IIRC he used the very very racy King's on those rods Bruce. What did they do on the mains? Clevite 77 P series?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 1:47pm
I believe I used the King K-788 bearings in Larry's motor. Step up above stock for medium loads. The ones that went in had that very nice looking shiny finish on the material like the photo in the link. I think I tossed the bearing boxes that had the part numbers on them.

King Aluminum Based

IIRC, your King bearings are the K-798 big dog race series tri metal.

King Tri Metal

Usually Fords have super tight clearance like the chart below on the desired. I think Larry's ended up right at about .0020 on the rods and mains. I like a looser clearance like that if you are planning on running thicker 40w and especially 50w oils. Generally when I put Clevite 77 P series in the fords they end up in the .0010-.0015 range. We are running VR1 10w-30 in my brothers P head 351 running the tighter clearance. It's got a decent cam with some healthy valves prings so bring on the VR1.

Rod Bearing Clearance                                Main Bearing Clearance
Desired                    Allowable                    Desired                    Allowable
0.0008-0.0015     0.0008-0.0026          0.0008-0.0015     0.0008-0.0026     
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 2:02pm

Main's and rods are very different. IIRC he used the very very racy King's on those rods Bruce. What did they do on the mains? Clevite 77 P series?

H series.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 2:08pm
Ahh cool NASCAR ! Bigger chamfer for over sized crankshaft fillets. Lines up perfectly for a forged stroker crank.
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 8:45pm
Hopefully will have pics of the 97 in the water in a few days. For now, this will have to do.

9.9 Evinrude was purchased new by my Dad back in '78. 100% Original (Pete would love it) and runs like a top!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 9:02pm
I have a 6 HP from the same era, maybe a '76, can't remember. Hard to kill them. All I've had in so far is a kayak, but the lake is up a bit, occurred to me I might be able to launch the jet boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 10:43pm
I remember skiing ( barely ) with a 9.9 way back when I weighed about 60 lbs.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic